United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanting to get a little more Infantry only Action in before getting some Guns from SK2 to the table, I tried a scenario from Beyond the Beaches. This also throws in a new rule for consumption with Hedgerows. Also, this scenario allows for the Americans to make use of an Artillery Barrage at the outset. What better way to lead oneself into the Guns module?

Set-up

Deciding on an attack that would split the enemy forces and not allowing them to concentrate on either side of the town (not considering that by doing this, the Americans are not concentrating their forces on either side of the town angry ).
I placed 3 red X's as my Artillery strike indicators. Plan was to hit the German units on the corners so I could CX the Airborne units up the road and get them in close proximity at the beginning of the first Turn.

Didn't happen. Two of the Artillery strikes hit dead-on, but all German Squads passed their MC's. One German Leader got pinned. Big whoopyuk

Turns 1 and 2 for the Americans were quite the travesty. A valuable lesson learned (the hard way) is that even Crappy 2nd Line troops, shooting from long range, can be quite effective angry
The Americans spent most of the 2 Turns just retreating and recovering from DM's.

Turn 3

The Airborne units were mostly back to fighting shape in Turn 3, but still nowhere near their objectives.

Those Rinky-dink 2nd Line Squads keep getting in some unbelievable shots from double range.

Turn 5 (Last Turn)

Airborne units have finally reached the outskirts of town, but its too little, too late. During their half of the Turn, they were able to take over 4 of the 8 VP Buildings, all due to Prep-Fires and forcing the resulting DM'd units to retreat out of them.
The remaining German Squads with their Leader were able to DM two American Squads and re-enter one of the buildings before the end of the Last Turn.

End Game

Dead Pile

All the German Casualties were due to Natural 12's except for the last one, which had no safe direction to retreat without moving closer to a known enemy.

Had those Artillery strikes just been a tad bit more helpful....

Spoiler (click to reveal)
and those freakin 2nd Line sharp-shooters not been so sharp! soblue

A quick game to get Hedgerow rules understood and to whet your appetite for Big Guns. Can't decide if I want to have just one more Infantry Only scenario (am I really ready to advance?) or get SK2 to the table. The SK2 rules were not all that daunting with my first read through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed this session report--such things are not unusual in either Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit and even Advanced Squad Leader. This sort of situation is why we keep playing scenarios that, at first blush, look unbalanced. It's also the reason why we keep playing a scenario even when the odds seem against us. So much can depend on the turn of a pair of dice!

Go ahead and get into Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #2. If you want to do another infantry-only scenario, try Scenario S10 "Paper Army." It's one of my favorites, pitting Italians versus Greeks! A good scenario to start with the Guns rules is S18 "Baking Bread," which you can download from the MMP website at URL: http://www.multimanpublishing.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=.... You only have to deal with one Gun counter, the Soviet 45mm Anti-Tank Gun (there are no tanks in the scenario, so you'll use it against German infantry).

S17 "A Ridge Too Far" is also a good starter scenario for ASLSK#2, available online at URL: http://www.multimanpublishing.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=.... The Brits have two mortars, which are key for them to win the game. You'll see how valuable these weapons are!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I started a game from SK2, "Over Open Sights" on VASL/Skype yesterday with Starter Kit Teaching Guru Pat Ireland. We only got through the first Turn, but I did manage to break one of my guns already angry

I took notice of Paper Army a couple days ago when I started getting my SK survial/travel kit in order. Looks a little different since its the Minors on both sides going at it. Think I will give that one a go. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fly by Night wrote:
I started a game from SK2, "Over Open Sights" on VASL/Skype yesterday with Starter Kit Teaching Guru Pat Ireland. We only got through the first Turn, but I did manage to break one of my guns already angry

I took notice of Paper Wars a couple days ago when I started getting my SK survial/travel kit in order. Looks a little different since its the Minors on both sides going at it. Think I will give that one a go. Thanks.

Yay for Pat Ireland!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.