37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Evolution: Climate» Forums » General

Subject: Why is the base game still being sold? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drift -
msg tools
As I understand it, and I may be wrong, climate includes everything from the base game, plus the new climate systems. I just went to a store today, bought the second edition without realising this existed, and now need to pay another 40 or 50 for the conversion kit (AUD).

I'm a little disappointed, it even advertised the fact climate exists within the rule book. Why not just discontinue V2, and call this v3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because Evolution alone is a different game from Evolution:Climate, and it is actually good by itself as well!
When you buy Evolution:Climate, you can play without the Climate stuff, but you have to ignore icons and take out cards and the like, so for newer players who want a less complex* game, it's much better to just get regular Evolution, especially since the new edition is quite a bit cheaper than Climate (maybe that is why you went for it as well?).

I think North Start Games makes it very clear in their advertising which version contains what, and I don't think you can blame them for buying the wrong thing if you did a little bit of research.

*) I have not yet played Evolution with the Climate stuff even though I'm a hardcore gamer. I love the base game just by itself, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Uccello
United States
Millbury
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the Flight expansion doesn't work well with Climate, but it adds a nice level of complexity with new options for your species. I have both Evolution and Climate, and I really do love both games in slightly different ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
DriftRS wrote:
As I understand it, and I may be wrong, climate includes everything from the base game, plus the new climate systems. I just went to a store today, bought the second edition without realising this existed, and now need to pay another 40 or 50 for the conversion kit (AUD).

I'm a little disappointed, it even advertised the fact climate exists within the rule book. Why not just discontinue V2, and call this v3?

I'm not sure why we would take it off the market. There are many people who prefer Evolution to CLIMATE. It is also $40 instead of a $60 which makes a big difference to a lot of people.

Also, as a side note, it would drive me crazy to call this V3. I don't like calling Evolution v2. There is only one version of Evolution. The changes between the 1st and 2nd printrun are negligible. We should have just called it errata. Bigger changes have been made to tons of games without calling it V2 or 2nd edition. Like Carcassonne or Magic: the Gathering or NBA Basketball or NFL Football. I think we're on NBA Basketball 23rd edition by this point...

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the biggest reason to still have a standalone base game is that it's a cheaper starting point. A big change to the new version of the base game was to replace the silk bags that are still included in Climate with cheaper player screens. While I would recommend to start with the Climate version to anyone that can afford it simply because the base game is "included", I appreciate the existence of a budget option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drift -
msg tools
Yeah, thanks guys, I see exactly what you mean after playing Evolution. It was my mistake, I didn't realise Climate existed, I sure haven't seen it being sold here in Perth, and I didn't realise the new edition was a reduced price version as it was still 80AUD!

Having looked at online retailers around here, the full climate box can be had for $90, which would have been a much better purchase for myself. As it is I can still grab the conversion kit for 40 which isn't too bad.

Still won't have those adorable silk baggies though!

As a side note, the first game was won by a prolific breeder with no defense. Being extra chubby meant predators got full quickly, and it just kept multiplying allowing it to grab heaps of food. Was fairly hilarious tbh

EDIT: Props for the insert btw, not enough developers take the time to design a decent insert. I'm looking at you FFG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Evolution: Climate and often wish I just owned Evolution. I don't think the Climate stuff adds much and often want to play just plain Evolution, and have to deal with "ignoring" all of the climate stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Poddster wrote:
I own Evolution: Climate and often wish I just owned Evolution. I don't think the Climate stuff adds much and often want to play just plain Evolution, and have to deal with "ignoring" all of the climate stuff.

You can buy a set of the base game Evolution cards for $7 on our website. Not sure how much shipping will be though. That might be a deal killer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just looked: Shipping is $22.38

I've checked this before and not bothered with it due to the high shipping cost (I originally checked for some Wits & Wagers things). With the new 3rd edition out it's probably cheaper just to buy a second copy than a deck + shipping.

Q:
The website specifically points out that they're 2nd edition cards -- is that true? Would someone actually get 3rd edition at this point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no 3rd edition.

There is barely even a 2nd edition. There were just a few minor changes to several of the cards. The game has played pretty much exactly the same since the start. It would have probably been more communicative to call the changes errata in the first print run. Oh well, too late now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Poddster wrote:

You can buy a set of the base game Evolution cards for $7 on our website. Not sure how much shipping will be though. That might be a deal killer.

I have a slightly different problem. I bought evolution during the Kickstarter, and then got the conversion kit last Origins (2017). Then I learned there were differences in some of the cards.

Is there N option to purchase the CLIMATE set of cards? Or do I need to purchase the EVOLUTION cards and reintegrate them with the conversion cards?

I emailed NSG, too, but I’m being impatient.

I taught the game twice tonight at CABS (Columbus Area Boardgaming Society) and after both games remembered that hard shell and pack hunting were among the reworded cards...and I used them to win, but now think I may not have.

Asterisk on that win. Lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill, as far as I am aware, all cards that changed are in the conversion kit! So I don't think you need anything else; that would make the conversion kit pointless, wouldn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Bill, as far as I am aware, all cards that changed are in the conversion kit! So I don't think you need anything else; that would make the conversion kit pointless, wouldn't it?

They weren’t. I still have original copies of fertility, hard shell, pack hunting, ambush, and Intelligence, for example. If I’ve got to buy new cards, I was hoping to just get the Climate set, all ready to go.

The conversion kit updated 2nd printing to climate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, you have the first edition?

I think the conversion kit was indeed for the 2nd edition, but if you do have the 2nd edition, I am 100% positive that the conversion kit has all cards that changed.

If you have 1st-edition cards, just buy one of those full decks of 2nd edition cards and use those with Climate; they're cheap and also really useful to have: That way you can play both base Evolution and Climate without having to sort out your decks every time.

(Your situation actually sounds like mine. I had 1st edition, but then got a set of 2nd-edition cards + the conversion kit for Climate.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
domcrap wrote:
Poddster wrote:

I have a slightly different problem. I bought evolution during the Kickstarter, and then got the conversion kit last Origins (2017). Then I learned there were differences in some of the cards.

Is there N option to purchase the CLIMATE set of cards? Or do I need to purchase the EVOLUTION cards and reintegrate them with the conversion cards?

I emailed NSG, too, but I’m being impatient.

I taught the game twice tonight at CABS (Columbus Area Boardgaming Society) and after both games remembered that hard shell and pack hunting were among the reworded cards...and I used them to win, but now think I may not have.

Asterisk on that win. Lol.

There is not an asterisk by your win. We did not issue an errata to 1st edition because the game plays fine exactly as it is. Furthermore, Hard Shell and Pack Hunting were made better so you're doubly in the clear.

Go to the NorthStarGames website to pick up a copy of the 2nd edition Evolution cards for $7.

https://www.northstargames.com/collections/strategy-games/pr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay and I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
Yay and I did.

And it’s arrived!

Now I need to figure out which cards were from the climate conversion and which from first printing. Uh boy. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Climate cards have icons on them: snowflakes or suns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Climate cards have icons on them: snowflakes or suns.

Easier than I was expecting!

Dom, you’re the best! I definitely want to game with you! You going to Origins this year? I’m hoping Nicole will let me volunteer for you guys again this year. Last origins was the first time. If so, are you up for Tichu?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE Tichu. But I won't be at Origins. Are you coming to GenCon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gathering? PAX Unplugged? BGG Spring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish. My big Con is Origins, since I live here in Columbus, OH. As a teacher, I don’t get any non-summer cons unless it’s just for a weekend, so I usually just stay home and go to CABS (where I played Evolution last night, btw). I do a 24-hour marathon of gaming for Extra Life (www.extra-life.org/participant/wmreed — shameless plug) at Buckeye Game Fest each fall.

I had a blast working with Nicole and Bruce at Origins last year! I demoed the heck out of Evolution: The Beginning, learned Climate, and even taught a few games of Clubs!

Thanks for making so many great games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People to who talk about attending CONs make me sad. It's like the fact that I'm neither rich enough, nor lucky enough to live close to any, is being dangled in my face

Note: it's not just this thread, but all over BGG and FB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m definitely not rich, but am I lucky that Origins occurs in Columbus. It’s too bad that it came across as a personal attack.

Perhaps this should end the discussion in this thread, because I confess, I’ve lead it astray.

To sum-up:
Thanks for the community’s assistance in getting my Climate converted Evolution up to date. It was much easier than I had expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.