Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Williams
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got a $50 gift card for Amazon for Christmas. I am currently juggling choices and I need a recommendation. My game group is fairly small. We play more D&D 5e than board games (much to my chagrin lol). My players prefer games that are short-to-mid, to the point, but fun. So here's my 'currently considering' list. Any other recommendations are welcome but of this list what do you, my fellow players that partake in GameGeekery, think?

Scythe
Dragonfire
Zombicide Black Plague
Terraforming Mars
Clank! In! Space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If betting on the most number of people in your group liking it, my money's on Clank! In! Space!

The second consideration is does it bring anything new to the group? For instance, there's no point in me buying Terraforming Mars because every other person in the group owns a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the only board game game collector, so that doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
My vote would be either CiS, because it is a fun game.

If you are trying to "expand" the horizons of your group though and maybe want to get them into trying more board games (based on your comment about always playing D&D), then you might want to try DragonFire. It might be a good bridge game in a world they are already familiar w/.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordnightwinter wrote:
Scythe
You list Tyrants of the Underdark, Eclipse and Terra Mystica as owned, how does this game group like those games?
lordnightwinter wrote:
Dragonfire
You list Shadowrun: Crossfire as owned, how does this game group like that game?
lordnightwinter wrote:
Zombicide Black Plague
You list some of the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Gamess and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) as owned, how does this game group like those games?
lordnightwinter wrote:
Terraforming Mars
You list 7 Wonders and Terra Mystica as owned, how does this game group like those games?
lordnightwinter wrote:
Clank! In! Space!
You list Cthulhu Realms, Eminent Domain, Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game, Mystic Vale, Star Realms, Thunderstone, Tyrants of the Underdark (only game with deck/pool building that affects a board - but otherwise probably a lesser fit), and King of Tokyo (press your luck) as owned, how does this game group like those games?

How important is theme for the group, and which themes (or shades of specific themes) does this group prefer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wanted to try something with a D&D theme, then what about Lords of Waterdeep?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Moseley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second lords of waterdeep another possibility maybe champions of midgard -worker placement again but your dice representing hero's / spearman /archers etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:
lordnightwinter wrote:
Scythe
You list Tyrants of the Underdark, Eclipse and Terra Mystica as owned, how does this game group like those games?
lordnightwinter wrote:
Dragonfire
You list Shadowrun: Crossfire as owned, how does this game group like that game?
lordnightwinter wrote:
Zombicide Black Plague
You list some of the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Gamess and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) as owned, how does this game group like those games?
lordnightwinter wrote:
Terraforming Mars
You list 7 Wonders and Terra Mystica as owned, how does this game group like those games?
lordnightwinter wrote:
Clank! In! Space!
You list Cthulhu Realms, Eminent Domain, Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game, Mystic Vale, Star Realms, Thunderstone, Tyrants of the Underdark (only game with deck/pool building that affects a board - but otherwise probably a lesser fit), and King of Tokyo (press your luck) as owned, how does this game group like those games?

How important is theme for the group, and which themes (or shades of specific themes) does this group prefer?

1.) Terra Mystica was well received, Tyrants is brand new and hasn't gotten to the table.
2.) Shadowrun was well received for the content but the system was unforgiving. We played a few times and it never came back to the table. I heard Dragonfire is improved in that respect.
3.) D&D was received well but decent has not hit the table yet.
4.) 7 Wonders was well received
5.) CR was too hokey for the player I played it with, ED was good, Alien hasn't been opened yet, MV hasn't been opened yet, Star Realms was awesome! Thunderstone, well the dude I bought it from set it up for epic and threw away the randomizer cards and dividers. The original with original rules was great, but I sold that when I bought my current copy. Unaware that I can't find replacements to fix the game. So it sits on my shelf worthless because I haven't learned the epic rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and I have LoWD, Awesome game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordnightwinter wrote:
1.) Terra Mystica was well received, Tyrants is brand new and hasn't gotten to the table.
Eclipse?
lordnightwinter wrote:
2.) Shadowrun was well received for the content but the system was unforgiving. We played a few times and it never came back to the table. I heard Dragonfire is improved in that respect.
I admittedly have limited plays so far, but not improved enough, in my opinion.
lordnightwinter wrote:
3.) D&D was received well but decent has not hit the table yet.
Zombicide: Black Plague is closer to the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games in terms of weight, but the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games are more of an adventure against attrition, with some light tactical combat, where Zombicide: Black Plague is more of a light tactical skirmish game with a bit of stalling and tactical maneuvering. Descent 2e is dungeon crawl/race (tactical skirmish) with a heavy focus on campaign play. It may be best to play Descent 2e (both 1vAll and with the app) before purchasing another game, but I suspect your players would enjoy this.
lordnightwinter wrote:
4.) 7 Wonders was well received
Since your players liked 7 Wonders (and presumably the drafting in that game) and the economic and engine building aspects of Terra Mystica, it seems like Terraforming Mars would go over well with your group - especially if they are okay with hate drafting, assuming that the theme is not too dry (I noted that many of your games tend to lean heavily to the thematic/fantasy/science-fantasy side of things). (Note: I believe that technically the drafting play is considered a variant option in the rules for Terraforming Mars, but most players and game groups that I know of consider it essential.)
lordnightwinter wrote:
5.) CR was too hokey for the player I played it with, ED was good, Alien hasn't been opened yet, MV hasn't been opened yet, Star Realms was awesome! Thunderstone, well the dude I bought it from set it up for epic and threw away the randomizer cards and dividers. The original with original rules was great, but I sold that when I bought my current copy. Unaware that I can't find replacements to fix the game. So it sits on my shelf worthless because I haven't learned the epic rules.
What about the press your luck of King of Tokyo (or any other games with a bit of press your luck)?

Thunderstone does seem to be a bit better with the Epic rules, and I don't think it would be terribly difficult to track them down. If I recall correctly, the Epic rules (or at least the changes necessary to play as Epic) were added as an official variant in the rules for Thunderstone Advance. Thunderstone Advance is similar enough in play to Thunderstone, that the alterations in play necessary to play Epic should be pretty much the same for both iterations.
However Thunderstone Quest is significantly different in play to both Advance and Original Recipe, but may be the best iteration.

Do you think that the players would be okay with the frequent references to other sci-fi/science-fantasy IPs that Clank! In! Space! makes?

Based on your responses, it seems like any of the games would go over well. Scythe, Terraforming Mars, and Zombicide: Black Plague all tend to be medium length games, but can go longer due to players, some amount of randomness/chaos, and/or scenario (for Z:BP). Dragonfire and Clank! In! Space! are also more medium length, but less likely to go longer. Z:BP, Dragonfire and Clank! In! Space! can all also end up significantly shorter as well.
Players seem to prefer Scythe at 4 players.
Players seem to prefer Terraforming Mars at 3-4 players.
I think Z:BP is best at 6 players, but it is relatively simple to play two characters in that game so 3 players would be just about as good.
Dragonfire, like Shadowrun: Crossfire is best with 4 players.
Players seem to prefer Clank! In! Space! with 3 players.

Terraforming Mars or Clank! In! Space! might be the most different from what you already have, with Scythe also being fairly different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! All of that is terribly helpful. Eclipse (one of my favs) is too much for my current players. Too many rules to juggle. I think I will mull over all of this and make my decision later. Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Santos
Uruguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your group is more into D&D then Dragonfire is probably a sure bet since it's basically a new way of playing in the same setting.

Zombicide is a little different but not enough that you guys would feel alienated.

Clank! It's a great boardgame, that it's sure fun. But might not be your cup of tea (it's really silly).

The others on the list I think might be a stretch for people that play D&D mainly. Don't get me wrong, they are great games, and you guys will probably like em, but if you are getting into boardgames with your group I would rather go the safe way ^^

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars is my vote. It's in my top 10 and in my top 2 for longer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grab one you can solo.
At least you'll make it worth it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordnightwinter wrote:
Oh and I have LoWD, Awesome game!

Have you got the Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HEck yeah, it’s a must have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.