Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Joslyn
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The third bullet-point under 4.4.2 gives the Dux (or a Faction w/ control, should Dux decline/not be present) the opportunity to battle "deep" Saxon raiders (I assume only those raiders just placed, if there are others already present--or does this forced battle possibly involve Troops and/or previously placed raiders?) before they raid. I assume that the Faction electing battle is the Attacker for the free Battle? The rules then go on to state that, if the Faction with Control elects to battle (including Dux?), the Saxons may not Battle after their raid. Now, does this (functionally) encourage the Dux/owning Faction player to force a (suicidal) Field battle, if only to prevent the Saxon from assaulting (w/ Coup de Main) during the Deep Raid? Being the defender at the close of the elected free battle, I'm assuming the Saxon could not assault Strongholds.

Thanks, love the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgane Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmm... Good catch! The intention is NOT to allow such sacrifice to prevent a Deep Raiding Faction from an opportunity at assaulting its target strongholds, but the wording of 4.4.2/4.5.2 indeed implies that... Typical example of when something is so obvious in the designer's and developer's minds that we miss it :-(

The intention of this clause is to prevent multiple Battles during the same Raid, not to prevent the Deep Raiders from assaulting.

The 3rd bullet point under 4.4.2 should thus be:
"In the Deep Raid Region, either the Dux or a Faction with Control (1.6) — the Dux has the first option — may force a Battle (3.6), with them as the Defenders and the Deep Raiding Faction as the Attackers, before the Raiders Plunder the Region. If the Faction with Control forced a Battle, the Saxons may not further Battle as part of the Raid on this Region."

Is that better?

Thank you, and have fun :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgane Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, to be perfectly unambiguous, the bullet should read:
"In the Deep Raid Region, either the Dux or a Faction with Control (1.6) — the Dux has the first option — may force a Battle (3.6), with them as the Defenders and the Deep Raiding Faction as the Attackers, before the Raiders Plunder the Region. If the Dux or Faction with Control forced a Battle, the Saxons may not further Battle as part of the Raid on this Region."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GouyonRety wrote:
The intention of this clause is to prevent multiple Battles during the same Raid, not to prevent the Deep Raiders from assaulting.

Right, as any regular Raid or Battle command only results in one battle between the acting faction and one enemy faction, and a battle includes both a field battle and, at the acting faction's discretion, one (or multiple) assaults.

So in essence, with a deep raid, the raiding faction could be forced to fight a field battle prior to plunder (by the Dux/controlling faction), possibly depleting its ranks. I'm assuming that performing an assault would still be at the discretion of the raiding faction (in other words assaults are not automatically forced in deep raids in this case)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgane Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kubaman wrote:
GouyonRety wrote:

Right, as any regular Raid or Battle command only results in one battle between the acting faction and one enemy faction, and a battle includes both a field battle and, at the acting faction's discretion, one (or multiple) assaults.

So in essence, with a deep raid, the raiding faction could be forced to fight a field battle prior to plunder (by the Dux/controlling faction), possibly depleting its ranks. I'm assuming that performing an assault would still be at the discretion of the raiding faction (in other words assaults are not automatically forced in deep raids in this case)?
Absolutely. Note that any such Assault would benefit from the Surprise Feat, i.e., would follow the "Coup de main" procedure (roll to try to skip the Escalade step).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Joslyn
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tibi gratias!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kubaman wrote:
...(in other words assaults are not automatically forced in deep raids in this case)?

It is my understanding that assaults are never forced during Deep Raids, simply that an assault would use Coup de Main if the attacker chooses to assault?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgane Gouyon-Rety
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottland wrote:
kubaman wrote:
...(in other words assaults are not automatically forced in deep raids in this case)?

It is my understanding that assaults are never forced during Deep Raids, simply that an assault would use Coup de Main if the attacker chooses to assault?
Correct: assaults are never forced ever, Deep Raid or not. However, any assault undertaken in a Region selected for the Surprise Feat must be a coup de main attempt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Joslyn
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's taken me too long to ask this question...

If either the Dux/Player with Friendly control "force" a battle, must a field battle of some sort (i.e., no total withdrawal) take place in order to keep Raiders from plundering before any Assault?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Petrus Aleator wrote:
It's taken me too long to ask this question...

If either the Dux/Player with Friendly control "force" a battle, must a field battle of some sort (i.e., no total withdrawal) take place in order to keep Raiders from plundering before any Assault?

Thanks!

Any Raiders that survive the "forced" Battle are free to take Plunder, so if the Britons withdraw all their forces without Striking and the Raiders decline to Assault anything the Battle has no effect at all on Plunder.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.