Subject: Leaving supplies in space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carrots
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
I was thinking of using Saturn rocket testing as an opportunity to leave supplies in space for a later mission.

Rules state supplies can't be damaged so am I correct in assuming supplies will always survive a minor/major failure?

When it comes to attaching the supplies to a new spacecraft I would need to use Rendezvous, correct? (Supplies being a "component" of a spacecraft).

Clarification appreciated, many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
A major failure of a rocket destroys the entire spacecraft, supplies included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be honest and sensible.
badge
If am still here, it is only for the gold.
mbmbmbmbmb

Supplies cannot be damaged, but they can still be destroyed. A major rocket failure will destroy the entire spaceship, including the supplies.

Also, not directly related to your scenario, if a spaceship is further damaged by a failure and if all the other components but the supplies are damaged (any astronauts on board are incapacitated), then the spaceship is completely destroyed because the damage may not be absorbed by the supplies.

On the other hand, supplies are cheap and therefore it is not a big deal if you lose five of them in a Saturn testing. It is certainly better than losing five ion thrusters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carrots67 wrote:
When it comes to attaching the supplies to a new spacecraft I would need to use Rendezvous, correct? (Supplies being a "component" of a spacecraft).
Yes, that's correct: Rendezvous will be needed to move the supplies from one spacecraft to another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrots
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
carrots67 wrote:
Hi
I was thinking of using Saturn rocket testing as an opportunity to leave supplies in space for a later mission.

Sorry if this is a newb question but I assume you can't just leave Supplies (or any other components) in space, they need to be attached to a ship/craft?

Just checking ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope! A spacecraft must have at least as many seats as astronauts. One Supply is fine as an independent spacecraft, as is one sample.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any component that is "in space" must be on a spacecraft card. A spacecraft, as Firedrake notes, may consist of a single supply (or any other single component except for an astronaut). There's no limit to what components may be placed on a spacecraft card except that any astronauts must have sufficient seats from capsules.

If you run out of spacecraft cards you can make you own or use those from other agencies not in play. While it isn't intended to place stacks of components directly on location cards, you could do that as well although it could get crowded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.