Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Hickey
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Just finished game four. Given that there are Dark Arts and Villain cards that stipulate removing the lightning bolts from all villains, doesn't it make sense to go after one villain at a time and leave the other(s) alone until one is killed? I realize that there is one card that prohibits putting more than one bolt per villain, but it doesn't seem to offset the other cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally the answer to your question is yes. That said, if you have killed a villain and still have attack tokens left, you either have to spend them or lose them. You may put them on Villain A only to find that the replacement Villain is "worse" than Villain A. So now you have to make a decision: do you want to attack the villain who is hurting you the most or do you want to take down the one you've already assigned attack tokens to?

Also...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is a card that in a later year (I think year six) that lets you remove a control token if you attack every villain on the board. In this case, it is generally better to spread your attack than focus it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
that is generally a good strategy. But sometimes there is a benefit to spreading the attacks around (i.e. there is a spell where you gain a bonus if you put at least one attack on each active villian that turn), and sometimes spreading out attacks are necessary to acheive an objective (in the expansion, there is a situation where you have to defeat 3 villians on one turn in order to advance. this generally requires spreading out attacks to all 3 in the previous turns leading up to that)

Also, sometimes it might be worth the risk of possibly having some lightning bolts "healed" in order to make better use of the reward for defeating an enemy. (i.e. if you have no location control tokens on your current location, you might hold off on defeating an enemy whose reward is removing a control token until there is a token to remove, and instead will put an attack or two on a different enemy). But that all depends on the particular game situation and/or your general play style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually go after just one, but sometimes they are all 3 "easy" villains and it's better for us to be able to spend time building our decks before revealing someone else that could be much harder. In those cases, we may try to get them all to their max before being defeated, then take them all out together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick V
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I remember correctly, there's also a Dark Arts card where...

...you can't apply more than one bolt per villain in the turn (I forget which game it appears), in which case, you might as well spend your attacks. This is especially true where you might want to activate Ron's ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renarr wrote:
If I remember correctly, there's also a Dark Arts card where...

...you can't apply more than one bolt per villain in the turn (I forget which game it appears), in which case, you might as well spend your attacks. This is especially true where you might want to activate Ron's ability.

The OP already addressed this:

kdh325 wrote:
I realize that there is one card that prohibits putting more than one bolt per villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.