Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
<<EDIT: I have reached my goal of 500 participants and will close the survey tomorrow, January 5. Thanks again to everyone who took it, and keep your eyes open for a post about the results.>>

Hey everyone,

For some time I've been interested in how personality and motivation are related to board game preferences. I've put together a short survey on this, and I would warmly appreciate any and all responses from the BGG community. It should only take a few minutes of your time, and of course, it is entirely anonymous, confidential, voluntary, and presents no greater risks than daily life and routine survey assessment.

Here is the link...

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5ZFWDDB

I will happily present the results here if I find anything interesting. And if any admins read this and can hook me up with a random sample of users, that would be cool.

One last favor, if you like surveys or are interested in this topic, give the thread a thumbs up to keep it at the top of the forum list a little longer.

Thanks, and happy holidays to all of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a sample of 41 people so far, which is a little small but a good start. The average time to complete the survey is 2 minutes and 24 seconds!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Taken. Let us know how it turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd like to see the results when analyzed. I've been interested in the Big 5 since grad school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting survey. Also I put down Australia, as it was closest, but New Zealand is not covered by the location categories. You could use Australia/New Zealand/Pacific Islands perhaps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
Interesting survey. Also I put down Australia, as it was closest, but New Zealand is not covered by the location categories. You could use Australia/New Zealand/Pacific Islands perhaps.

Or, better yet, Oceania.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple things:
-I'm not sure why "extroverted" is paired with "enthusiastic". Two very different things that make this question almost impossible to answer honestly for many people (myself included).

-Same with "critical" and "quarrelsome". Very different things that do not always go along together.

-"Open to new experiences" paired with "complex"? What does "complex" even mean?

-Hell, lots of these are weird parings.

-Having "male" and "female" as your only gender choices in the survey precludes some gamers.

I'll be honest, I started to do it, but those weird pairing not only made it impossible to really answer ("well, I am critical, but not quarrelsome. I definitely am enthusiastic, but not an extrovert. Am I complex? Am I warm?") but overall a bit weird and were worded in almost a value-laden judgemental way (who would say they weren't complex, or careless, or that they were dependable or uncreative?). They put me off and I didn't complete it.

Not sure what you are going for, but if it is for a class or a project there might be more standard questionaires used, especially since humans tend to be relatively unreliable in self-assesment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completed. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fifteenkeys wrote:
those weird pairing not only made it impossible to really answer...

Not sure what you are going for, but if it is for a class or a project there might be more standard questionaires used, especially since humans tend to be relatively unreliable in self-assesment.

Yes, you have a point. These are actually items from a short, standardized personality test called the Ten Item Personality Inventory (TIPI). The full instructions say to rate how well the pair of traits applies to you, even if one applies more strongly than the other. Anyway, it’s not the most precise scale, but I went with short and convenient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the curious, here is a longer, more accurate test of the big five personality traits that I am trying to measure with my short survey. It will give you an interpretation of your scores too, for what it’s worth.

https://www.outofservice.com/bigfive/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My country isn't on the list. We are NOT part of Australia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry... I just went with the continents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Interesting topic and one where an analysis, regardless of sample size, could lead to some interesting discussions.

I spent a fair amount of time on personality types in the past, but for some reason it never occurred to me that they carry over into board gaming categories. I believe board game preferences are largely driven by a person's general motivators and those are, at least in some cases, the driving force of differentiating the personality profiles.

One thing to be aware of is how introvert/extrovert grading is often done in personality profiling. It often refers explicitly to "new people". Many introverts soften up significantly when in "safe company" and since a lot of board gaming happens in such conditions it can mess with your results.

I think you would find some of the alternative profiling tools more aligned with game categories than going with the more statistical big five method. Something like DiSC (or Thomas as it is also called) is more focused on reward/drivers/motivators and that is a stronger correlation to "having fun" than pure personality traits or preferences. Especially in DiSC there is a strong focus on "stress drivers" as it is developed to be used in the workplace and obviously avoiding stress and conflicts is a business driver for the model. But using a similar reward/avoidance analysis of a person with regards to casual activities such as games could be very indicative.
I have also found that it is one of the few models that solve the paradox of the enthusiastic introvert. Take a look at it, if anything to add some depth to your analysis by testing it against various personality modelling frameworks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completed it, but left most of question 2 blank. The problem is, as people have already stated, that the traits don't have anything to do with each other. I am introverted and enthusiastic. I can be fairly critical, but I'm not quarrelsome. I am somewhat disorganized, but careful with my possessions. There were a couple more pairs that I don't remember. It's not that one trait applies more than the other. It's a matter of agreeing with one, while disagreeing with the other.

You'd have done better to split them up and ask about each individual trait.

And, yes, what does "complex" mean as a personality trait?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schoolmarm5 wrote:

And, yes, what does "complex" mean as a personality trait?

That is measuring a trait called openness to experience, which is characterized by people having a lot of curiosity, a wide range of interests, a motivation to try new things, and so on. The scale was developed empirically, and people who score high on openness also tend to think of themselves as complex.

Of course, a certain amount of measurement error is inevitable in this kind of thing, and some people may designate themselves as complex, or not so complex for other reasons. Hopefully, the overall pattern of results will cluster reliably together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done, a fine survey .
I may appear as a split personality with equal interests in multiplayer and solo boardgaming. Co-op with many chatty friends and Wargames solo versus those pesky little chits.
Had to answer with this in minds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done, and donsies! Let me know how it turns out. I love these sorts of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
donezo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Halper
United States
Draper
UT
flag msg tools
designer
Import/Export Kickstarter Closed - Preorder Now
mbmbmbmbmb
Done. I would love to know how it turns out. Surveys are my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to see the results of this survey, often times I take one here only to never see any results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I hope to see the results of this survey, often times I take one here only to never see any results.

I hope to analyze the results in early to mid January. Keep an eye on this thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
All the best with this Corey - looking forward to seeing the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eira Følling
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why only two options for gender? Adding an "other" option would help a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
bassofthe wrote:
Why only two options for gender? Adding an "other" option would help a lot.

Nothing wrong with choice, and having the option certainly wouldn't hurt anything. But a "lot"? I can't imagine the percentage of people that would respond would be significant. I certainly don't mean that in a dismissive way, just a statistical one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.