Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Grab
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Just making sure we played it correcty:

Player has Estadio da Maracana wonder, and Capitalism.

He uses any card, let's say Pottery and builds a city. This allows him to trigger Capitalism thanks to Estadio.
He uses capitalism, sends out caravans to cities in reach and gains 6 trade tokens. He places some of them (3) on Pottery.
He now triggers second part of Capitalism, and uses Pottery again to build a Wonder with the trade tokens he has gained and other resources to build a wonder in the city build with Pottery.

So, to sum up:
- this combination allows to play three cards in one action.
- it allows to play the same card twice.

All correct or have we missed something? Seemes like a very strong late game combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure there's a clear consensus.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27556085

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grab
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, I quess we need to wait for official FAQ on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimo
United Kingdom
Winchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've subscribed to this thread just in case anything official gets decided about this (although I understand that FFG doesn't do case by case clarifications except in FAQs).

I've only played this once and we were having a great time with the game, until this combination came up. My opponent sat around (slightly skeptically) waiting as I chained abilities. It changed the pace of the game and stopped it being as fun. With only one game under my belt I am loathe to suggest any rules changes but I wonder if something like this would work:

"Only two focus cards can be used on any one turn"

... to stop abilities chaining. This would make some wonders worse but still quite good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japhet
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's possible to reuse the 1st card you resolve, but I do think you can resolve 3 different cards in one turn.

Estadio says, "after you resolve a card, resolve and reset economy." So this means that your initial card has not yet been reset.

The steps are:

1. Pottery resolves but does not yet reset.
2. Estadio triggers.
3. Capitalism resolves and resets.
4. Capitalism triggers.

Capitalism specifically says to pick a card "in the focus row." So at this point, pottery is not in the focus row because it has not yet been reset. So you could not choose pottery again. (I'm basing this on my interpretation of the Rules p6 where it says, "choose one of the cards in the focus row and offset it" which to me takes it out of the row)

5. A 3rd card resolves in-place.
6. Estadio triggers.
7. Capitalism resolves and resets from slot 1 (does not trigger).
8. Pottery resets, pushing Capitalism to slot 2.

Is this overpowered? Well there's the limit of 3 caravan arrivals per turn. Rules p15 ("After a caravan returns to its economy card, it cannot move again that turn"). And there's the limit of each city being used once per turn.

But still, Estadio alone can bring 6 trade tokens per turn. It all depends on the terrain. If you have a path of water, hills and grass to multiple rival cities, you have infinite trade tokens. If you're locked in by harder terrain and can only access one city-state, then it's far more limited.

Estadio gets you +1 action (limited to only economy).

Capitalism gets you +1 action limited to slot 1.

Together, they give you +3 actions where two of those must be economy and two of those are limited to slot 1. And the one that's not limited to slot 1 (economy) will probably only be in slot 2 if you're abusing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.