Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the 2016 edition: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1698867/2016-first-time-pla...

Here is the 2015 edition:https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1495561/2015-first-time-pla...

One of the laments of many of us here is how we seem to accumulate more games than we play, with ever growing stacks of unplayed wargames teetering on our shelves. Of course, some see this not as a problem, but as a challenge, and some of us try our damnedest to play everything we buy. With that in mind, here is the question...

With only a couple of days left in the year, it seems like a safe bet to ask for 2017 - how did your first time play/new purchase net difference work out?

I use this metric to at least gently encourage myself to play as many games for the first time as possible, in order to hold the unplayed stack at bay (or even work it down a bit!)

In 2017, I played 9 wargames for the first time ever, while I collected 20 new wargames. On the good side, 9 first time plays is a four year high for me. On the other hand, 20 new games is also a four year high. Therefore, my net difference is 9-20 = -11. So, despite my best intentions, I fell behind a further 11 games to the unplayed side. This is a significant deterioration versus 2016, when my net difference was -3 (6/9). In 2015 my net difference was -2 (5/7), and in 2014 it was -7 (5/12). In the end, the bottom line is that I continue to fall further and further behind in terms of getting my games played (25 first time plays versus 48 new wargames) over the past four years! I had said at this time last year that I was going to cut back my wargame purchases in 2017, but instead, I bought more in 2017 than in any of the preceding three years!

...The best laid plans of mice and men indeed!...

So - how did the rest of you do this year?

Also, a few clarifications and ground rules...

1. I only count first time plays against games I actually own. Playing a game owned by someone else doesn't count.

2. Use whatever definition of "wargame" that works for you! None of that "what is a wargame" nonsense in this thread!

3. My take on expansions and series was this: I only counted Commands & Colors Ancients and all of its expansions as a single game. Same for Memoir '44 and C&C Nappy. On the other hand, I counted each game in the Great War at Sea series as an individual game. Same for GDW's Third World War series and Victory Games' Fleet Series. I mostly went with the idea that if you could play a standalone game out of the box, it counted as an individual game. The logic may be somewhat blurry, but that's how I did it - each of you can count your games any way you see fit!

4. If I own several editions of a game, I counted them as either one game or multiple depending on whether the later edition was pretty much just a straight reprint, or if there were enough differences to warrant counting the later edition(s) separately.

EDIT - 5. Yes, to be clear, first time plays do NOT have to be only games acquired this year! For example, one of my first time plays in 2017 was France 1944: The Allied Crusade in Europe, a game that's been on my shelf for oh, I dunno, around twenty years!

For my entire collection of what I consider to be wargames, I now stand at 116 played at least once versus a total of 227 games owned. I'm still least over the half-way mark, though falling back a bit from last year! So, as a bonus second question - how does your overall percentage of wargames played at least once versus wargames played stand? Mine is 51.1%!

Summary:
1. My 2017 result was -11 ... I played 11 fewer games for the first time than I acquired new games.

2. My overall percentage of games played at least once versus my collection now stands at 51.1%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up 8 new to me titles, and played 7 of them. I also played some previous acquisitions for the first time and sold/traded away several titles, so my owned and unplayed list is definitely going down.

I don't have an easy way to compile it, and don't care enough to keep track but I would think my total number of titles is declining and my average rating of the remaining titles is increasing as I focus more on playing the high quality games I have.

Not to say I'm dropping out of the market place entirely, have an interesting KS going right now and two other titles I'm hoping to see next year, but I'm more and more wanting to spend my limited time on titles that have rewarded me in the past.

(all that said, I reserve the right to shamelessly chase the next bright shiny object if I feel like it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Played 12 new to me wargames, Probably acquired about half that.
Some of the 'new to me' plays are games I don't own though.
I don't track when I pick things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
I picked up 8 new to me titles, and played 7 of them. I also played some previous acquisitions for the first time and sold/traded away several titles, so my owned and unplayed list is definitely going down.

I don't have an easy way to compile it, and don't care enough to keep track but I would think my total number of titles is declining and my average rating of the remaining titles is increasing as I focus more on playing the high quality games I have.

Not to say I'm dropping out of the market place entirely, have an interesting KS going right now and two other titles I'm hoping to see next year, but I'm more and more wanting to spend my limited time on titles that have rewarded me in the past.

(all that said, I reserve the right to shamelessly chase the next bright shiny object if I feel like it!)

I completely understand your "reserving the right"! This year, a large chunk (8 out of 20) of my new purchases were an impulse buy, when MMP announced their WBC sale. I had not seriously planned to buy any of those games, but when the sale was announced, the prices were too good to pass up, and I got some really great games!

I'm happy to say that I've already played two of these titles, and I'm sure more will get tried in 2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
blockhead wrote:

I completely understand your "reserving the right"! This year, a large chunk (8 out of 20) of my new purchases were an impulse buy, when MMP announced their WBC sale. I had not seriously planned to buy any of those games, but when the sale was announced, the prices were too good to pass up, and I got some really great games!

I'm happy to say that I've already played two of these titles, and I'm sure more will get tried in 2018.

You gotta get Day of Days: The Invasion of Normandy 1944 on your table. Start with the Utah scenario to get used to how the air drops and invasion work, then jump in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Keizer
United States
Creswell
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can figure, I was either -5 or -2 in 2017.

* Bought 12 new games (not counting 2 ordered after Christmas because they won't arrive until early January)

* Played 7 new-to-me games (all solo) during the year. (They are not all from the dozen bought during the year. That's how we're doing it, right?)

* Set up 3 games but either did not play at all, or just played 1 turn. I know this isn't unusual, but frankly, it bothered me. In the case of the 2 that didn't get played at all, the rules boggled me and demanded another go-round.

So if we're counting those that actually got played, rather than just set up, I'm -5 for the year.

Could have been worse. But I'd like to get the played number up to at least 12, or one a month.

Interesting topic. Obviously missed it the last two years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, to be clear, first time plays do NOT have to be only games acquired this year! For example, one of my first time plays in 2017 was France 1944: The Allied Crusade in Europe, a game that's been on my shelf for oh, I dunno, around twenty years!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquired over 20.
Played about half, plus one I bought a couple of years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this year was my year of fully entering wargames (pre-paternity leave I owned C&C Ancients, Few Acres of Snow, Here I Stand, Napoleonic Wars, US Civil War, Comancheria, plus miniature games). I got 51 (!) games plus 1 miniature game, though 2 were free postcard games, several were presents, several more were ziplock games, and the majority of the rest were second-hand.

I played 21 of them (plus the 1 new mini game)...so I'm at a rather shameful -30. I may get one more new one before new year. Next year is likely to be very much the opposite flow - a few preorder purchases, hopefully lots of playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

First Time Plays : 8
New Games : 17

But between multiple plays of games I first played this year and re-plays of old favourites I managed to get about 2 dozen wargames played this year - all FTF - that's not too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started playing wargames in 2016, but 2017 is the year I've started feeling more comfortable calling myself a "wargamer" and my collection has expanded accordingly meeple I acquired around 13 (I can't remember the exact dates of some of them), and there are 5 unplayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Mashpotassium wrote:
I started playing wargames in 2016, but 2017 is the year I've started feeling more comfortable calling myself a "wargamer" and my collection has expanded accordingly meeple I acquired around 13 (I can't remember the exact dates of some of them), and there are 5 unplayed.

Numbers don't matter - it's the spirit. I have hundreds of euros, and
play such reasonably often, but don't think of myself as a eurogamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:

Numbers don't matter - it's the spirit. I have hundreds of euros, and
play such reasonably often, but don't think of myself as a eurogamer.

Oh yes, even if I didn't own any, I'd still feel the same (I'm not a eurogamer that plays wargames, I'm a wargamer/old-school eurogamer/etc). What I meant was I started connecting with wargames more this year, and as a result I started exploring different kinds and ended up buying more. The egg came before the chicken in this case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cavallari
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 10 games for the first time in 2017 and have 15 new games still unplayed (I just received 4 of them for Christmas).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.