12 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Dear Wizkids... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Please make more than 30 copies of these new releases available for the entirety of North America to purchase, thanks.

All joking aside, why is the stock so extemely limited. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Retailers have to order. Distributors decide how much to stock based on preorders. I would suggest retailer confidence is low, and there is only so much Wizkids can do about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its the state of the game and what seems to be Wizkids marketing model. It is not "hyped" by WizKids, they have the license currently and they don't seem to be marketing it at all except to previous owners. When renewal of the license comes up I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop it completely.
They have done this with several "lines" - they get the license, try to work it into their "Clix" systems and when it doesn't take off, they just drop it. They don't put a lot of effort into marketing outside their "Clix" base.
This how the board game companies Avalon Hill and SPI went down the drain. They didn't go after "new" game players. I have a lot of STAW stuff - I picked up a former "TO's" collection.
I have barely bothered with the "new" releases as they aren't doing anything to promote them. If you are into Attack Wing and Star Trek then you'll order up from your local store or whatever, I just don't see the outreach to new players. I am beginning to regret picking up all these ships, etc. because I don't see the interest building for the game, it just seems to be stagnant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renewal of license was, from what I understand, earlier this year. In which case they thought renewal was worth it; even worth revamping the sales model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My FLGS is unable to order it due to its extremely limited stock, my backup (Miniature Market) keeps selling out faster than I can load up their website, which is to say, extemely fast; I think this shows atleast a pretty good interest in the game if WK can't produce enough units to keep stock for even a couple hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starfleet Droid
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaximumDT wrote:

My FLGS is unable to order it due to its extremely limited stock, my backup (Miniature Market) keeps selling out faster than I can load up their website, which is to say, extemely fast; I think this shows atleast a pretty good interest in the game if WK can't produce enough units to keep stock for even a couple hours.

Or it means that WK didn't produce many new sets because they were unsure of buyers reaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or it means retailers and distributors ordered very few copies due to lack of confidence in the product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
What? You thought I'd have some interesting overtext?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in a similar vein, I'm wary of getting involved in this game. I love Trek, and I like the system, but I don't know anyone else who plays. I punched in to look for organized play, and the nearest is over 100 miles away about 3 hours, and keep in mind I'm 2 hours from either New York or Philadelphia, so, I'm nervous getting in. I got my brother the X-Wing set, he's much more that franchise, and he's all in. I'd like to do this game, and it's heartening to see these forums active so recently, but I'm nervous getting into a game that the company doesn't seem to care about. If I can't find stuff even in the biggest concentration of people in the country...I know other people who play X-Wing, and my local store has plenty for me to buy...but I'm worried about the game up and disappearing on me. The Leaderboards haven't been active for over a year from what I see. I'm gonna get into X-Wing myself, and I'm willing to get into both, but I don't want to buy stuff and then be left with no one to play with and they can't buy their own fleet, ala MechWarrior Click Tech. Like I've seen in other forums, it seems WizKids doesn't want to put any effort into promoting their products, thinking they'll sell themselves on the Star Trek name alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought X-Wing TFA Core Set and remembered this game, and I thought I should finally get it. Checked here for exactly this kind of thread. It is as I feared.

On the other hand, how many ships do I need? Maybe it won't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
I recently bought X-Wing TFA Core Set and remembered this game, and I thought I should finally get it. Checked here for exactly this kind of thread. It is as I feared.

Check the Internet for a negative thread on anything, and you can probably find it. I like to look at negative reviews and comments on BGG, actually, since it's not like I don't have enough games to last a lifetime.

johnnyLikesGames wrote:
On the other hand, how many ships do I need? Maybe it won't matter.

Need? Three or four. But you won't stop there, any more than you will stop with the X-Wing Core set if you decide to keep playing that.

For either game, figure out what people are playing near you. No point getting a lot of game pieces and then not having any opponents. (OK, these are pre-painted minis, so you can use them as desk ornaments or for other games. But not much point in buying without opponents.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
What? You thought I'd have some interesting overtext?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
For either game, figure out what people are playing near you. No point getting a lot of game pieces and then not having any opponents. (OK, these are pre-painted minis, so you can use them as desk ornaments or for other games. But not much point in buying without opponents.)

Pretty much what the Tabletop Minions Channel said. Unfortunately, there's no denying the superior quality of X-Wing minis over Attack Wing. My thing is, and I've said, while I like both, I'm into Trek more. I might get a small Attack Wing fleet, but based in my area, I do fear I won't have a choice but to lean more towards X-Wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The faction packs are probably right up your alley, then (if you can find them). Each one is basically a fleet in a box, with a little bit of build flexibility to try out variations and different options.

If you meet enough players to make it worth your while you could pick up more faction packs and/or other ships in those factions, but a starter plus a single faction pack should get you into the game with minimal investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.