3 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Need some help with the NON-zappable effect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lui Lui
msg tools
Reference:
Non-zappable effects are self-contained alien power effects that do not have this keyword and thus cannot be Cosmic Zapped, but are still subject to other forms of power loss. Examples include Citadel placing a citadel, Cryo picking up his cold storage, Genius winning the game, Macron collecting double compensation or rewards, and Warrior getting new tokens. Although the initiation of a non-zappable effect cannot be canceled by a Cosmic Zap, if a zap earlier in the encounter already canceled the alien power, then the non-zappable effect cannot be initiated in the first place. In other words, you still have to have your power available if you want to initiate one of its non-zappable effects; but once you have done so, that effect cannot be stopped by a Cosmic Zap. For example, Cryo cannot be zapped when taking his cold storage as a new hand; but if he was already zapped earlier when trying to store a card, then he cannot take his cold storage at all because his power has already been lost.

Sorry, it's me again. We played a few rounds last night.It was really fun, but we were confused by the non-zappable effect.

Is the alien's power without the bold word "use" or "may use" it just cannot be cosmic zap in any way? However, the reference above said """Although the initiation of a non-zappable effect cannot be canceled by a Cosmic Zap, if a zap earlier in the encounter already canceled the alien power, then the non-zappable effect cannot be initiated in the first place.""" I just don't understand how it works.

So basically how does a cosmic zap stop a alien's power in a way of making it a loss of power instead of zapping a "used" power?? Does that mean u can play a cosmic zap at the beginning of a encounter so it can stop the alien's power(without word use/may use) but it can't be played at the middle of the encounter. Is that right?

Thanks a lot for answeringmeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you cannot "pre-play" a Cosmic Zap.

This part of the Cosmodex is trying to explain that some aliens have both zappable and non-zappable parts, and then it tries to answer this question: "If my alien gets zapped because I tried to use one of the zappable parts, later in the encounter can I still use the non-zappable parts?" The answer to that is no, because once you are zapped then your alien is unavailable for the rest of the encounter.

Cryo is an alien that has both a zappable part (trying to store a card) and a non-zappable part (taking his cold storage as a new hand), so I used it as an example in this entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lui Lui
msg tools
I totally got it. Your answer is super helpful. Thank you!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.