United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we go:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/567823005/thunder-in-th...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Keizer
United States
Creswell
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like the game I'll be most eager to have in hand during 2018. I have a bunch of titles on pre-order from the likes of GMT, Compass, Legion and MMP, but Thunder in the East is No. 1 on my Wanted list for the year at the moment. And I can't see anything budging it.

I've pledged. If you're an Eastern Front fan, I hope you do, too...if only to ensure that I get my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pledged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two copies here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so very excited for this but man does the price point hurt a bit coming off the holiday shopping cry

will you print extra and ship to any of the OLGS here in the US of A? i just might not be able to back this given the time of year. glad to see it has almost doubled its funding goal already just a few days in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how the KS funding goes, we do plan to have some additional copies for stores, but they will cost the actual MSRP and not the special Kickstarter price. I know we really bent over backward to get a KS price of only $99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Pledged for two (one for me, another for a friend). One of the nice things I heard in the video presentation is that this series is already mapped out across all of Europe. Some of us can remember game series that promised to link up the fronts cleanly, but never quite accomplished that. I am hopeful that this series will accomplish this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I pledged first day. I notice the discussion on Kickstarter is about stretch goals. I didn't create a Kickstarter account so I can't comment over there so I'll comment here: How about a stretch goal to change the box cover art!

I suspected and confirmed with a search that the cover is based on a WWII Soviet propaganda poster. Okay, but poster guy's face is too in-my-face. It's like putting the tank commander's face from "Panzer Command" six inches from my nose.

This is just my opinion so whoever likes the artwork, or selected it please take no offense, but I find that sort of artwork for human faces (call it mid-20th century advertising style) gratingly hokey. Admittedly being hokey is sort of the point of a propaganda poster but maybe one that doesn't feature the cartoony tough guy so heavily in the foreground could be used instead. For example, here's one that shares many similar aspects but I find more tasteful: a poster. Another one: another poster.

Hey, at least I'm not whining about wanting mounted maps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The maps are paper? If so, I assume due to size and wanting to keep cost doen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you all do me a favor and thumbbomb this by clicking here. Scroll down to #80, Thunder in the East. Thanks. Trying to get it some recognition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Yes, and "weight" is "cost" when it comes to shipping, too.

Also, as this series builds out, some of these will overlap a few hexrows when fit together properly -- and that would be kind of awkward with thick, mounted boards. We have to keep thinking about the "finished series" of all the volumes in it and how they are assembled together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Quote:

Yes, and "weight" is "cost" when it comes to shipping, too.

Also, as this series builds out, some of these will overlap a few hexrows when fit together properly -- and that would be kind of awkward with thick, mounted boards. We have to keep thinking about the "finished series" of all the volumes in it and how they are assembled together.

Fair enough. I just love mounted maps but I guess I better start investing in some quality plexiglass
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Larsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really can't understand this craving for mounted maps. They increase production costs, increase shippings costs, increase customs duty costs and take up valuable real estate inside boxes were I want to fit counter trays.

To me, a modern production quality paper map that I may attach with blue tack to a large piece of cardboard enabling me to move the ongoing game between different tables in my home and store it on top of a wardrobe, is equal or superior in all ways to any mounted map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are entitled to our opinions. Paper maps suck! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommy_la wrote:
I really can't understand this craving for mounted maps. They increase production costs, increase shippings costs, increase customs duty costs and take up valuable real estate inside boxes were I want to fit counter trays.

To me, a modern production quality paper map that I may attach with blue tack to a large piece of cardboard enabling me to move the ongoing game between different tables in my home and store it on top of a wardrobe, is equal or superior in all ways to any mounted map.

They feel so amazing and last longer.

I love flexible maps made of latex or Gortex or laminated paper as well but those are very expensive and usually custom after market or deluxe.

I just wish all the countries in the world would stop being such economic illiterates and reduce customs/tariffs to zero so manufacturers (and not just of board games) didn't have constrain themselves so much to help keep their products affordable for the zero sum gain of taxing consumers for products they want. but i'm not going hold my breath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I just wish all the countries in the world would stop being such economic illiterates and reduce customs/tariffs to zero so manufacturers (and not just of board games)...

Even if it were JUST boardgame, I would be happy. ;-)

I believe our plan is to make a high-res version of the THUNDER IN THE EAST map available for those who want to do post-publication versions of it (mounted or whatever).

But they are heavy, expensive, take up a lot of room in the box (and the TITE box would probably be at least 2" thicker for it, and it is big already), and would not overlap properly when the series was complete. For all of those reasons, we will publish the game with a traditional, sturdy stock map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Quote:
I just wish all the countries in the world would stop being such economic illiterates and reduce customs/tariffs to zero so manufacturers (and not just of board games)...

Even if it were JUST boardgame, I would be happy. ;-)

I believe our plan is to make a high-res version of the THUNDER IN THE EAST map available for those who want to do post-publication versions of it (mounted or whatever).

But they are heavy, expensive, take up a lot of room in the box (and the TITE box would probably be at least 2" thicker for it, and it is big already), and would not overlap properly when the series was complete. For all of those reasons, we will publish the game with a traditional, sturdy stock map.

Amen! Ever increasing shipping costs and customs delays/costs are such a killjoy.

I totally understand that. I love my hard maps, but the only downside is usually I am forced to put my counter trays in a separate box in most games once I sort and arrange them as there just isn't room for both the thick mounted map plus counter trays.

May I ask what type of material the map will be made out of or the texture? Will it be like the old glossy GMT stock paper maps in the 2000's or sturdier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
May I ask what type of material the map will be made out of or the texture? Will it be like the old glossy GMT stock paper maps in the 2000's or sturdier?

I believe the map is set to be 300 GSM in thickness (which is not dissimilar to a playing card's thickness, though cards have a "core" to make them feel stiffer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance G
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
...determines everything.
badge
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer paper maps over mounted maps when it comes to hexes and pushing cardboard around. Once you get plexiglass you like it all comes together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Hey, it's over the 500 backers mark! I know the project was funded in something like the first 24 hours but GMT has trained me to regard 500 orders as a significant milestone. Nice to see this game hit that level with a few days yet to go. This is the first kickstarter project I've backed so I'm watching with curiosity to see if there's any sort of surge on the last day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It is nice to have over 500 backers. I hope there is a surge at the end and that the next stretch goal is hit. Custom supply dice are very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
It is nice to have over 500 backers. I hope there is a surge at the end and that the next stretch goal is hit. Custom supply dice are very cool.

yes yes yes! wish i could buy extra to make sure we hit that supply dice goal and i think this will be a hit and i would be able to sell the extra copies easily for at least KS cost plus shipping but i just don't have that kind of liquidity yet :(

this is my first VPG Kickstarter, but y'all have done it really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
this is my first VPG Kickstarter, but y'all have done it really well.

Thanks! This is the biggest wargame we have ever done, but we have star performers putting it all together for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.