Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Woll
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules give 2 possible game end conditions, but really only 1 is possible. (With 35 lords you can't reach the second condition without a player having 7 lords).

The game seemed way too fast. 2-player game, only 2 locations were used. What is the point of all those locations? Even a 4 player game would use probably 5 locations.

And the threat track was useless (which I see is a common criticism).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
nswoll wrote:
The rules give 2 possible game end conditions, but really only 1 is possible. (With 35 lords you can't reach the second condition without a player having 7 lords).

The game seemed way too fast. 2-player game, only 2 locations were used. What is the point of all those locations? Even a 4 player game would use probably 5 locations.

And the threat track was useless (which I see is a common criticism).

there are at least 2 lords that allow a player to discard lords so going through all 35 is possible (just unlikely). 2 location per player is quite common, especially if the Ambassador lords show up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Agree to play to a higher Lord count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
The worst pirate I've ever seen
mbmbmbmb
We usually end up with two locations per player as well.
But I can't say the game is too fast. It usually takes about 60 min in three players. That's reasonable playtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keep in mind, this game is a race. Get 7 Lords. It isn't about building the most unified tableau. 3-4 player games should be done in under an hour. The person with 7 lords should be at quite the advantage scoring-wise (with both more lords and more affiliated allies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin C.
France
Annecy
flag msg tools
Not a traitor
mbmbmbmbmb
Our games clock at 40-60 mns, and we often end up with 1-3 locations each (depending if ambassadors show up or not).

The monster track is often a tie breaker. It's rather easy to get 4-8 points out of it, which is the equivalent of a lesser lord. It's too random to be reliable though.

2 player games are very different to higher player counts. It's easier to force your opponent to explore by emptying the council row, and to pick the best allies from the explore track for a single pearl. 3-4 players makes for a better challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Barrett
Canada
Inuvk
Northwest Territorries
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My other half and I have played over 30 times, and our games are down to under 30mins a play. We often don't even go through the allies decks. We never get to the key on the Threat tracker. We usually buy 0-1 locations each per game. We never buy ambassadors.
When we first started playing, the threat track would get upto 3 or 4. We'd sometimes shuffle the deck twice, have 2 or 3 locations, and we'd be going after ambassadors. A game could take close to an hour.
The change in our strategies has greatly chnaged our playing time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dokdoyle wrote:

2 player games are very different to higher player counts. It's easier to force your opponent to explore by emptying the council row, and to pick the best allies from the explore track for a single pearl. .

in a 2p game, you are only allowed to buy 1 ally during your opponents explore. so you get the best first one just like you would in multiplayer, but they get the second, unlike in mp where the person exploring may lose 2 or 3 good allies. The difference here is the person exploring in 2p will at best earn 2 pearls (1 from their opponent and one from taking the final revealed card) whereas in a 4p game they can gain 7 pearls if each opponents buys one and they go to the end of the track

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.