Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Light/Dark level count when you PLAY (lay down) your card or when you USE (attack or buy) your card. The rules say “USE”, but I want to be sure.

Example:

1. The meter is on 1 DARK.
Total Attack = 0
Total Buy = 0
Light/Dark = 1 Dark
2. Only the [HELLHOUNDS] [3 attack] villain card is in Sunnydale.

3. I play [HARD FOUGHT REDEMPTION] [2+ attack]. The “do what it says..” text says: “You get +[attack] equal to the level of the Dark. If the “do what it says” text resolves when I PLAY the card, then the attack = 3 (2+1) for [HARD FOUGHT REDEMPTION]. I sits there. For whatever reason, I wait to use it to attack and beat [HELLHOUNDS].
Total Attack = 3
Total Buy = 0
Light/Dark = 1 Dark

4. I have [RANDY GUILES] in my hand. Light gives it +2 buy. Dark gives it +3 attack. I don’t need the attack, so I hold it for the moment, because....

5. I also have [DOLL’S EYE CRYSTAL] [2 attack I don’t need] and do what it says, which is to discard to draw two cards.

6. One of the cards I draw is [DONUT RUN] [2 buy]. I play it and do what it says and advance the meter.
Total Attack = 3(?)
Total Buy = 2
Light/Dark = 1 Light

7. The other card I drew is [RANDY GILES] [0+ buy, 0+ attack]. The special ability says Light: You get +2 buy, and Dark: You get +3 attack. I play it for +2 buy.
Total Attack = 3(?)
Total Buy = 4 (2+2)
Light/Dark = 1 Light

8. I then play the other cards in my hand, which are all buy. I buy something, and then get ready to USE attack/beat [HELLHOUNDS] with my previously played [HARD FOUGHT REDEMPTION].

Question is this: at that moment, when I go to USE it, is [HARD FOUGHT REDEMPTION] still worth the original 2+1=3 attack it was when I PLAYED it earlier (when the meter = 1 dark), or is it now only worth 2 attack (because the meter now = 1 Light).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We're playing that it's what he light/dark is when you lay the card down (as in play it), as you are accumulating the attack/recruit points as you play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card effects happen when you play them, so HFR has its attack value set based on the Dark value when it was played. You don't use the card later, you spend the attack points from a pool that is built up during the course of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Card effects happen when you play them, so HFR has its attack value set based on the Dark value when it was played. You don't use the card later, you spend the attack points from a pool that is built up during the course of the turn.

To that I say “YAY”!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Flok
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Ok. So what you are saying is that timing refers ONLY to when you place a card in play, correct?

Dark/Light= Dark 1
I play Death is Your Gift, there are 4 villains in Sunnydale, so Buffy has 2+4 fight.
Then I play Angel Tai Chi Focus, which advances the light to Light 1 and he gets 2+2 fight.
My total fight is 10 fight now?

Because page 12 of the rulebook says "you can only use LIGHT cards (effects?) If the darkness counter is CURRENTLY on the light side of the darkness track..." and dark when dark.

The "currently" refers only to the time at which the card was played, not currently as in where it is right now?

(This has been confusing me.)
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Flok
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Flok
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
One more..
Prophecy Girl states: "you may activate Dark abilities on cards you play this turn even while it is light."

1. This means cards played AFTER you play this card, not cards already in play, correct?

2. By "activating" the dark, does it DEactivate the light option?
i.e. Randy Giles, who has both light and dark abilities. Do I get BOTH the 2 star buy power AND the 3 fight? Or just one or the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VampCylon wrote:
One more..
Prophecy Girl states: "you may activate Dark abilities on cards you play this turn even while it is light."

1. This means cards played AFTER you play this card, not cards already in play, correct?

2. By "activating" the dark, does it DEactivate the light option?
i.e. Randy Giles, who has both light and dark abilities. Do I get BOTH the 2 star buy power AND the 3 fight? Or just one or the other?

I’m not sure what you mean by “already in play”. If it’s a card that you already played earlier in the turn for its Fight, Recruit and/or other abilities, then no. You can never go back to the cards you already played for their effects and do something else with them. For example, if there was an ability on one of those cards that only activates if you play a Strength card, you can’t play a Strength card later and try to activate that ability — the card has already been played and it’s done for that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yes, Prophecy Girl just adds options to your turn — it doesn’t take anything away. So if it’s Light, you can do anything that requires Light and/or Dark. Randy Giles would get to do both of his abilities. Nice combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Flok
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Awesome! MANY of the hero Spike cards have both light and dark powers...so that deck combo is super cool, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.