Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen a lot of people wondering how to fit all the components inside the new box without modifications. Today I punched out and bagged my tokens and managed to get everything sorted and nicely packed inside.

I am using the zip-lock bags that came with the game for dice and units. And I am using bags roughly 7 x 11.5 cm in size (smaller than 3" by 5") for everything else except the action cards. The fit was so tight that I went with a larger sized bag.

Some components along the edges are taller than the insert but there's plenty of room above it and the books and sheets all fit into the middle.

Center:
- On top I got the dice in their original bag, standing up. And the planetary cards shares a bag with the speaker and custodian tokens.

- The top system well has all the blue and red systems.

- Bottom system well has all the home systems and Mecatol Rex. There's a lot of room on top of them so I have 3 bags with trade goods, infantry and fighter tokens here.

- Below the systems I have a bag with all the different objective cards as well as a bag with the agenda cards.

Player wells:
- All the units remains in the bags they came with.

- Below are bags with cards for each player color.

Left side:
- Each well has room for 6 races (cards + tokens). Once placed into bags the tokens falls to the bottom so I have 4 standing upright and 2 upside down.

Right side:
- In the top corner I have the action cards in a larger bag, laying on their side. On top of them there's room for once race bag.

- In the middle there's room for 3 race bags. Again 2 upright and 1 upside down.

- Bottom right corner has the strategy cards as well as the final race bag.

Tomorrow I am playing my first game of TI4. I has been years since I played TI3 and I am looking forward to trying out all the new stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty 27
Canada
Grande Prairie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How I got everything to fit inside the new box using zip-lock bags
That is pretty much what I did as well. Very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
The insert is for all practical purposes garbage. Anytime a buyer has to re-engineer a solution to optimize a publisher's game insert the insert designer has failed.

While obviously satisfying the design requirements of the publisher they have failed to meet the requirements of the customer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job. I fit everything in the box in addition to fleet stands. The only thing needed above what comes with the game are plastic bags - no re-engineering necessary really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the title of the thread, I thought you had done simply what I did ... Separate and organize everything into ziplock baggies, then discard the insert.

Nice to see you were able to include the insert, but I chucked it. I have each race in its own baggie with the system tile, tokens, race tech, promissory notes, and any other race specific items. Then all of the different types of cards get their own baggies, blue backed planets get their own, and so do red backed planets, along with a baggie for common components such as the strategy cards and Rex. Finally, each color gets a baggie with the units, generic tech, and colored dice for each player that I got off of Amazon (bagged separately but all together in a bigger bag for each color).

I'm actually surprised more people don't do this, by getting rid of the insert there is plenty of room in the box, and I have sleeved all the cards as well. There is also plenty of room for potential expansions too. Only original packing I kept is the large baggies for the race sheets and command sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pietschnig
Austria
flag msg tools
The insert works quite well. Got all the stuff, inclusive sleeved cards in the insert without any trouble. I'll pist an image later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nait Parks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CapnYB wrote:
The insert is for all practical purposes garbage. Anytime a buyer has to re-engineer a solution to optimize a publisher's game insert the insert designer has failed.

While obviously satisfying the design requirements of the publisher they have failed to meet the requirements of the customer.

I disagree. The insert is basically fine (see OP for illustration). But, we're tabletop gamers! This is just kind of what we do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapnYB wrote:

I don't think having to use zip-lock bags is a failure. I use bags for almost all games. I didn't have to re-engineer anything. The insert works fine and I have seen both better and worse inserts.

oatesatm wrote:
When I read the title of the thread, I thought you had done simply what I did ... Separate and organize everything into ziplock baggies, then discard the insert.

I'm actually surprised more people don't do this, by getting rid of the insert there is plenty of room in the box, and I have sleeved all the cards as well. There is also plenty of room for potential expansions too. Only original packing I kept is the large baggies for the race sheets and command sheets.

Yeah, the title can be a bit misleading. I tried to alter it to say "insert" instead of "box" but it doesn't change the topic on the forum board.

I like to keep the original insert if I can, I like having them because it keeps things more organized. When I buy an expansion I might consider modifying the insert like others have done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pietschnig
Austria
flag msg tools

UpsideDown but anyways ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening wrote:
I don't think having to use zip-lock bags is a failure. I use bags for almost all games. I didn't have to re-engineer anything. The insert works fine and I have seen both better and worse inserts.

I never said zip-log bags were a failure, I stated the insert design is a failure. Polybags are by far the most readily available and cost effective storage accessory. However, they are also the component storage equivalent of using burlap sacks as low cost peasant clothing.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of the high priced wooden inserts either. But this insert is only good for packaging, shipping, and shelf storing the game. Personally, I do not perceive this insert as a good value.

Packaging design has never been FFGs forte. However, I'll concede with a slow hand clap of applause for their efforts.

This insert is not a utilitarian design that adds value to the user experience of aiding in game set-up or during gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get what is so awful/such a failure about this insert Captain? I have very few games whose insert has survived unboxing as most are pretty poorly designed. My favourite insert by far is The Gallerist's, which is PERFECT. But the fact that everything fits neatly in the TI4 insert, and I have kept it, and it works, says to me that it is pretty damn good as inserts go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my main positives and negatives.

+ Quality (thickness) of insert
++ Hex storage wells

- Card wells will not accommodate sleeved cards
- Wells for ships are too small other than poly bag storage for ships
- Essential components for each race cannot be stored together: Command counters, home world card, racial tech cards, promissory notes, flagship card, etc.

The insert serves as a functional design for shipping the game but leaves me wondering as to how this insert is beneficial to the user once the game is completely punched and placed into use.

FFG has the where with all and could have done so much more to enhance the practicality of this design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapnYB wrote:

Oh wow! Well in that case I have precisely zero games with a usable insert that also accommodates sleeving, let alone one with the kind of component count of TI4. I am tempted to think that you are asking too much, but it might be that I just am unaware of games that have done this in the past as it is clear that you have an extensive collection.

I would be seriously interested in reading a geeklist of games that managed this. Can you give an example?

Edit: on closer inspection it appears I have one, Raxxon. But hardly in the same league components-wise, and only 50% sleeved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacky Blue Note wrote:
CapnYB wrote:

Oh wow! Well in that case I have precisely zero games with a usable insert that also accommodates sleeving, let alone one with the kind of component count of TI4.
Most inserts are not worth the effort and added costs. Look at Lords of Waterdeep, it was an innovation. It was well made but ultimately useless. Damn if FFG doesn't even promote sleeving their cards too. If publishers would do a better job with this then we would not have a need for aftermarket storage accessories and boundless threads on foam core design.

Jacky Blue Note wrote:
I am tempted to think that you are asking too much, but it might be that I just am unaware of games that have done this in the past as it is clear that you have an extensive collection.
It is a crusade of my own undertaking. I alway give the similar feedback on every KS project I back.

Jacky Blue Note wrote:
I would be seriously interested in reading a geeklist of games that managed this. Can you give an example?
Clank!, Fate of the Elder Gods is close but crowded, Battleship Galaxies, Mechs vs Minions (great desigh but fails on sleeved cards), Karmaka, Dice City, Mystic Vale, and Baseball Highlights 2045 (until they released several expansions), and mostly card based gamea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.