Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Greenhalgh
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In section 9.3 the rule states that the assauled unit may fire defensively the first time at full FF but then says after a successful morale check it fires at 1/2 FF. Does this mean that the armored unit must roll for morale and is successful it fires twice, first at full strength and then at 1/2 strength? I am not sure how to apply this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Cebrián
msg tools
halgh45 wrote:
In section 9.3 the rule states that the assauled unit may fire defensively the first time at full FF but then says after a successful morale check it fires at 1/2 FF. Does this mean that the armored unit must roll for morale and is successful it fires twice, first at full strength and then at 1/2 strength? I am not sure how to apply this rule.

Hi Gary:

If in an assault 3 enemy units try to assault you, you can fire defensively at full strength at first enemy that assaults you ,now if you are assaulted by other enemy you can fire at half strength if you pass a morale check, again if you are assaulted by the third enemy you can fire at half strength if you pass a morale check

Regards

JCC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Greenhalgh
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I understand now. Thank you for the fast reply. I just wasn’t sure about the rule. Happy New Year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since AT gun is not an AFV, what happens when an infantry try to assault it? Does AT gun have defensive fire vs. the infantry if it is alone in a hex?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Greenhalgh
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Since AT gun is not an AFV, what happens when an infantry try to assault it? Does AT gun have defensive fire vs. the infantry if it is alone in a hex?

I personally don't think that an AT gun should be able to fire defensively when assaulted since it can't fire on infantry in normal fire combat. That brings up another question. In some other games, mortars have a minimum range as well as a maximum range, so is a mortar should be able to fire defensively if assaulted when alone in a hex? They are high trajectory angle weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Cebrián
msg tools
Hi Gary and lawrence:

Yes the defensive fire is resolved as normal AP/AT/ART fire.

The minimum range for a 81mm mortar is is about 180 meters, each hex in game is between 150 and 200 meters, defensive fire is your last chance because if they lose the assault.

• An artillery, anti-tank or mortar unit or formation that loses an assault is automatically eliminated.they can not retreat

Regards

JCC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Greenhalgh
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cebryk wrote:
Hi Gary and lawrence:

Yes the defensive fire is resolved as normal AP/AT/ART fire.

The minimum range for a 81mm mortar is is about 180 meters, each hex in game is between 150 and 200 meters, defensive fire is your last chance because if they lose the assault.

• An artillery, anti-tank or mortar unit or formation that loses an assault is automatically eliminated.they can not retreat

Regards

JCC

Thanks Juan! Happy New Year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Perla
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I just started trying to play this game and am a bit unsure I got the procedure correct for an anti-armor assault. Let me try to explain it and see what you guys think.

I have a French infantry company of 3 units and their leader who move into a hex with a PzIII to do the assault.

1. I think the tank firs it’s defensive fire at the first assaulting infantry unit. It rolls on the 5 FF column and uses the divisor for the hex it is in, light Woods, which is 3. It scores a 3 and so scores one hit on the attacking infantry unit.

2. That first infantry rolls against its morale to see if it goes ahead with the assault. It’s base morale is the Leader’s 7 plus 1 for his command rating but minus one for attacking an AFV and minus another gif the step loss. So final morales is 6. It rolls that 6 and so goes ahead with the assault. It’s fire factor is now 4 but rolls a miss.

3. Now the second infantry steps up to the plate. The tank checks morale and passes. It now fires at half FF, or 3. Again it scores 3 damage and so inflicts a step loss.

4. The infantry checks it’s morale, again needing a 6 or less to press home. It succeeds and mat attack.

5. The infantry now assaults using its 4FF after the step loss. This time it scores 3 points of damage and so, using the divisor of 2, scores one hit.

6. The final infantry unit takes its turn. The tank fires defensive fire with its 4FF and once again scores a step loss on the infantry.

7. This time, however, the infantry fails its morale check and so does not assault.

8. Because the tanks are still in the hex, the infantry retreat to the hex from which they entered the fight.

9. Because they have all suffered a step loss, they will all have to check morale. The formation has not suffered sufficient losses that it must check morale as a formation.

10. One of the infantry fails its morale test and do routs away.

11. The tank also took a loss and must check its own morale. It passes, but chooses to retreat one hex. Had it failed, it too would have routed away.

Did I get that right? The fire routine is: defensive fire, attacker checks morale; if pass, resolve assault. Rinse and repeat with defender required to check morale before subsequent shooting rounds at half strength.

Thanks

Take care

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.