Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Wright
United States
Grovetown
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since most of my games are played solo, does this one work well solo? Another question... how much investment is needed to play this game. I am guessing if you buy it you just get the rulebook? Where do most get the minis and stands?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Heckman
United States
Clermont
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Yuk sez, "Play more games!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo:

Short answer - no.

This system is generally not friendly to a solo gamer. Players plot movements each turn and better pilots can react with some limited modification of the plotted move.

I believe you would be very frustrated trying to play this solo.

Cost:

It really depends on preferred scale. A few 1/600 aircraft mounted on basic flight stands could put you in play for a modest investment of say $20 or less. Large scale aircraft mounted on telescoping flight stands with banking could set you back $100's

It looks like you are in Georgia? There are some game conventions in Savannah that have had CY6 events. Not sure if that would be practical or of any interest for you to check it out, before spending your $$.

- Charlie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kelsheimer
United States
Syracuse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love playing it solo. The only modification I use is to roll a die for each plane (adding the pilot modifier), then working my way from lowest to highest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Heckman
United States
Clermont
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Yuk sez, "Play more games!"
mbmbmbmbmb
My solo-ing imagination obviously needs work. The plotting mechanic seemed so anti-solo to me. I'll try your method some time.

- Charlie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wright
United States
Grovetown
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your responses. Just ordered the wwii and the jet versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Oxley
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best matchup for solo gaming would be a figher vs a bomber as loaded bombers dont maneuver much. For WW2, you can pretty much take your pick and get one bomber for around $10 or less, then one opposing fighter for around $3. For Jet Age, I suggest a Korean War matchup, a B-29 for $11 vs a MiG-15 for $3. There is a Check Your 6 Yahoo group that is pretty active, and someone there put up stats for a V-1 Buzz Bomb, so match that against your favorite late WW2 allied fighter for under $10 for the pair. You just need a hex mat after that, or you can make your own with a piece of felt or fabric ($6) and a hex grid template ($24) from Litko. You can start playing without stands and add them as you go with stands from several sources (6 for around $25 at I-94). Look at I-94 Enterprises webstore for just about anything you need, and litko offers the hex templates as well as other options for stands. If you have some Wings of Glory planes,you can use those, as many players use larger scales. If you can make it up to the National Museum of the US Air Force here in Dayton in June, look here or at the Yahoo group for details on my Check Your 6 game day. Spend a day or two at the museum and a day of Check Your 6 play.

Enjoy!

Tom Oxley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.