Subject: Mirror Matches - Do they work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Rarick
United States
Lockport
New York
flag msg tools
A few days ago I bought a combo box of Judge of the Change, Chapter 1. If I opened two decks and a few packs each can I get a good game experience with two Spice Miner Guild decks going against one another? I want to test drive the game before going too deep on buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirror match Are possible, but normally more brutal than normal.

Players can not play unique cards that other have face up.
But you can subdue that unique card and play your own version of that unique after that!
Ofcourse the opponent can do the same to you in the next turn, and so on, so there is a Little bit more tension In the internal house strugle, but it can Also be fun!

We did have tournament where each player did have to play same house. And the winner was declared as the head of that house. It was fun, brutal but fun devil

We Are going to make it again with fremens next time. Who is the real leader of fremens to lead them to the freedom! We will Also play test some alternate homewords for Fremens in that game, but that is completely different story...

The only problem I can see is that it is very usefull to have 3=4 spice blows and 3-4 choam restructuring in each game deck. It will make games much faster. And it may not be so easy to collect enough those cards. You may have to proxy those, so that you have enough. All other cards Are not so essential! The spice is the most valuable subtance in the universe! The spice must flow!

Also make sure that both deck have enough tools, intrigue and dueling to remove unique character From the game, at least temporary, to allow changes in the controll of unique characters (and other trick) and enough battle and arbitration to hit locations and contracts. But even this is not so important as having enough spice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haytil Reivesman
msg tools
You might have to make a special rule that allows multiple unique Homeworlds to be in play - there is only one possible homeworld for the Spice Miner's Guild, so both players will start with it active and in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Rarick
United States
Lockport
New York
flag msg tools
I think I will look for a second faction starter then. I think the mirror match would be fun once some regular games were played. Thanks for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Nitram
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider also that in mirror matches it will be hard to perform any rite. The rules state "The target must not possess the same allegiance as the Rite leader". As a result, you will only be able to make rites against neutral (no allegiance to Spice Miners) targets. That means - no rites against Allies, Miners' charters and aides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If attaking Rite leader is neutral, then there is not problem. Also if you ally both opponent with different house it allows more room to breath!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haytil wrote:
You might have to make a special rule that allows multiple unique Homeworlds to be in play - there is only one possible homeworld for the Spice Miner's Guild, so both players will start with it active and in play.

For that reason home worlds other than Dune Are not Unique!
It is in the normal rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haytil Reivesman
msg tools
Honestly, this game is so hard to get, that I would suggest house-ruling away all the problem of not targeting similar allegiances with a rite. Adjust the rules to fit the product you got your hands on.

Hannibal_pjv wrote:

For that reason home worlds other than Dune Are not Unique!
It is in the normal rules.

Good call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.