Popular Tags: [View All]
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 23 wrote:
STUN - If a figure is stunned, it cannot perform any abilities or use items on its turn except to perform a long rest (in the case of characters).

Page 26 wrote:
RETALIATE - A “Retaliate X” bonus ability causes the recipient to inflict X points of damage on figures who attack it from an adjacent hex for each attack made.

(Bold in book; underlines added.)

My co-players interpreted these in a way I hadn't - that since Retaliate is defined as an "ability" it would not happen when stunned. I could not think of why they'd be wrong but thought I'd check. After all, if this is true then Shield is out as well:
Page 25 wrote:
SHIELD - A “Shield X” bonus ability gives the recipient a defender’s bonus that reduces any incoming
attack value by X.

The only catch to this I see is "on its turn". I was voted down. Later a MindThief's possessive ability came up and it was decided it couldn't be used against a Stunned enemy. By a strict reading of "on its turn" it could be but this one at least makes sense.

And a search on Stun does seem to confirm this one*. But a search on Retaliate returns little and nothing on it interacting with Stun.

*Mind Control and stun/immobilize/disarm (and strengthen/muddle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with you that the stun only negates taking any actions/using any abilities on that character's turn, but any abilities used to react to attack (shield, retaliate), would still work. But I'm subscribing to this thread to see what others think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SovietVVinter
msg tools
My understanding is that if you have already activated a card that gives you shield/retaliate that round and then get stunned the same round, you still apply shield and retaliate even when you are stunned. If you are stunned before you can play those cards, you do not apply their effects.

If you have a persistent card that grants you shield/retaliate, they would still apply (and tokens would get moved forward if applicable).

If you stun a monster with inherent shield/retaliate, they will always retaliate or apply shield if stunned no matter when in the round they get stunned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If the retaliate is on the monster ability card, and you stun them before they act, they never get the retaliate. If it's on the stat card they have it all the time.

You stun them out of the ability to give themselves the effect. Once they have the effect, regardless of source they function the same. Shield 1 is the name of the ability that gives shield with value one. Stun does not remove effects of the target, just prevents them from using special abilities that grant more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee Wongsa
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to previous ruling from the designer

The way I understand this rule is that you can't do anything to gain Shield (or Retaliate) if you're stunned. But you can use the ability if any of the following apply:
- For monsters, if they have Shield/Retaliate on their stat card
- For players, if there's an item or persistent bonus effect (from a previous turn) that gives them Shield/Retaliate
- For players, if there's another character that's providing a buff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Roaas
Norway
Kongsberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you already have stun, retaliate etc, it works as normally.
From the FAQ:
The FAQ wrote:
How does stun work with persistent effects and passive items?
Stun does not affect them, they function normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it this way: you use the Shield or Retaliate Ability to apply the Shield or Retaliate Bonuses, not to "use" Shield or Retaliate effects. So Stun prevents you using the Ability while you are Stunned, but it doesn't negate the Shield or Retaliate Bonuses that may already be in effect.

Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's making sense to me now. Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.