BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: relationship legacy mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keine Angabe
msg tools
mb
Hello.
I have an idea for a legacy mechanic. The game the game mechanic should become a part of is a group of players who experience an adventure in a fantasy world over several scenarios - you can think of something remotely similar to Gloomhaven.
My idea is to introduce relationships with gods and goddesses as a legacy mechanic:
Some characters like the priestess of a player can form a relationship with the god or goddess over several scenarios. The game has an unique mythology and the player at first does not know the gods well.
-the god-player relationship is a story where the player can make choices for how to develop the relationship, the choices do not necessarily have an obvious outcome
-gods are also part of the world narrative, this will be interwoven with the individual player stories
-the god/goddess can give tasks during that can be completed during scenarios with consequences of (not) fulfilling them, this adds another element of variety and gameplay to the scenario
-consequences are intended to be not just something like rewards and punishment, but the relationship to the goddess can develop:
-> for example there can be a test of faith, a commitment to one god that makes relationships with other gods forbidden, the character of the player can be effected by the god so that a priestess who chooses the path of devotion might actually slowly transform his character in a selfless assistance character that is very reliant on her team and support from her goddess or players of the same faith might form a deep inner bond that enables special interactions between them
-not all relationships need to be "good" for the player, there might be a choice to trust the wrong god and needing to live with the consequences of that
-gods show human characteristics and can therefore e.g. be disappointed by the player
-the relationship can involve optional real world interactions like burning a smelling candle during a special scenario or performing a ritual in front of the group or singing a devotional song to show devotion to the goddess
-during a scenario the player can "pray" instead of doing a normal action to get support from her god/goddess
-there are different themes like devotion, power, connection to nature that are explored while relating with certain gods
-evil gods might induce some competitive mechanics in an otherwise quite cooperative game
-the gods are not simple characters from a mediocre novel, but are inspired by deep psychological truths as they are found in spiritual teachings

How does that idea sound for you so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Seems like a neat idea. Perhaps players would get hidden objectives from each god (like visions during dreams) and choose to follow them or disobey them (or fail them unintentionally) during the session. Maybe those objectives would run parallel or counter to the players' main, earthly objective, and the consequences of their loyalty or disloyalty would be felt in future sessions.

It could create real interesting situations from a story telling point of view, and giving characters their own objectives could make things more exciting for individual players than a pure co-op like Pandemic Legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like excellent character development for a dungeon crawl and really helps expand a character beyond a race and class.

I would add that I generally dislike when things like this are in game when I am unsure of how my choice will affect the gameplay. I didn't explain that clearly, but an example is if there if there is an event that requires me to make a choice, I want to know I am choosing the 'lawful good' choice, versus me choosing something and finding out after that it was a 'chaotic evil' choice.

Basically, I don't want to make a choice that would prevent me from using a certain item or interacting with a God a certain way without fully understanding before I make the choice what the consequences are. It's okay to have story surprises, but I would be upset if I played a campaign and had key character development decisions not go my way because it was supposed to be a cool reveal that looting some item made your character align with evil against your will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool. Too cool to be restricted to a single character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ji Dan
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
It sounds fantastic!

Reminds me of the computer game King of Dragon Pass. It's sort of a generational RPG with a great pagan religion system. You create a mythology for your tribe by making choices in a cosmogenic story, then begin the game proper. You can make a various number of sacrifices for each season, and these strengthen or diminish the tribes relationship with various gods. You can build temples to various gods, which confer benefits. Characters, likewise, have affinities to certain deities, which give them various strengths. It's a very rich game, available on tablet, and well worth the $20 I paid for it!

You game sounds like something I would definitely be interested in playing, and hearing more about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeZhou wrote:
It sounds fantastic!

Reminds me of the computer game King of Dragon Pass. It's sort of a generational RPG with a great pagan religion system. You create a mythology for your tribe by making choices in a cosmogenic story, then begin the game proper. You can make a various number of sacrifices for each season, and these strengthen or diminish the tribes relationship with various gods. You can build temples to various gods, which confer benefits. Characters, likewise, have affinities to certain deities, which give them various strengths. It's a very rich game, available on tablet, and well worth the $20 I paid for it!

THAT sounds amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keine Angabe
msg tools
mb
For the one(s) of you who are more interested about my design ideas:

I currently consider implementing a dream world as part of the game. The magic system would basically be to bring a part of the dreamworld into waking reality. The gods would live in a part of the dream world and are able to influence it similar to how feelings are able to shape a dream (do you remember how fear shapes how a nightmare looks?).
The dream world allows for a special dream narration:
In the tutorial called "waking up in a dream" the player is at first more or less passively watching the figures like a dreamer would be dreamed in his dream. Slowly the player learns to interact in the dream: to move, to pick items up - he slowly wakes up in the dream like a lucid dreamer can wake up in a dream. Key game mechanics get explained by small puzzles that can be restarted if you fail them: e.g. the monster kills you and like in a real nightmare where the monster chasing you repeats itself over and over again, you repeat the dream scene if you fail it.
An idea for a boss fight would be a boss who fights with you over the control of the current dream. If you become less conscious he can rob you some of your abilities: like you can't move anymore and become an easy target for his abilities. You slowly fall asleep in the dream. Or suddenly dream monsters appear.
Dreams seem to allow for many interesting narrative possibilities and offer an believable explanation for the magic system.

PS: I find my mind awesome how I get these ideas basically without effort as a whole in less than a second and then I just need to formulate it in words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.