United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
I got myself Century: Spice Road for Christmas and am enjoying the game.

But the insert is so, so terrible. Why bother creating a custom insert if it doesn't fit the components?

1. The card well is not deep enough to hold all the cards. This will get worse as the cards get used.

2. The 2 spaces for cubes & coins are not big enough to easily fit them (especially while bagged. If you try to cram cubes into the space under the cards, your cards won't sit flat, which exacerbates problem #1.

3. So much space is stupidly wasted on the bowls.

4. No space for expansions, promo cards, etc. Hopefully when they come out with new Century games, the inserts will allow you to combine the games into one box. (One can dream.)

What I would do to fix the insert:

First, make lids for the bowls so they can store the cubes. Then the bowls become a storage/setup asset, rather than a liability.

Second, drop the card well to almost the bottom - a little space at the bottom makes it easier to pick up cards. (A clever person could design an insert that you flip over to store sleeved cards.)

Then you just need a little spot to hold the coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I store the cubes in the bowls without any problems. The cubes are large enough that, even if I have the box on it's side and the lid comes up a little, the cube don't fall out.

I agree that the card well could have been a little deeper. After I got the promo cards, I ended up cutting out the ledges at the bottom to make it deeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:
I store the cubes in the bowls without any problems. The cubes are large enough that, even if I have the box on it's side and the lid comes up a little, the cube don't fall out.

That's pretty smart. I don't know how I feel about having my cubes exposed to the open air, though. Not in bags or lidded containers? Seems to go against everything I've ever known.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:
dhc3po wrote:

That's pretty smart. I don't know how I feel about having my cubes exposed to the open air, though. Not in bags or lidded containers? Seems to go against everything I've ever known.

Honestly it's fine. The cubes stay in the bowls with the rule sheet on top. The box is just the right height.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:
I got myself Century: Spice Road for Christmas and am enjoying the game.

But the insert is so, so terrible. Why bother creating a custom insert if it doesn't fit the components?

1. The card well is not deep enough to hold all the cards. This will get worse as the cards get used.

2. The 2 spaces for cubes & coins are not big enough to easily fit them (especially while bagged. If you try to cram cubes into the space under the cards, your cards won't sit flat, which exacerbates problem #1.

3. So much space is stupidly wasted on the bowls.

4. No space for expansions, promo cards, etc. Hopefully when they come out with new Century games, the inserts will allow you to combine the games into one box. (One can dream.)

What I would do to fix the insert:

First, make lids for the bowls so they can store the cubes. Then the bowls become a storage/setup asset, rather than a liability.

Second, drop the card well to almost the bottom - a little space at the bottom makes it easier to pick up cards. (A clever person could design an insert that you flip over to store sleeved cards.)

Then you just need a little spot to hold the coins.

I like the insert's design. All my bits are held just fine. Occasionally a card slips free (I have the 3 card promo set).

I don't see the game getting big box expansions (sequels like Eastern Wonders and New World are stand alone titles).

That being said, I will pass on your thoughts to the team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t own a copy, but my friend does. The cards fit fine. And the cubes can be left in the bowls. With the rules on top and the lid on, they stay put.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest issue is that it takes me a few minutes to get the lid off the box. It's just a hair too tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W.
United States
Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They could have done better but it is what it is. I had sleeved my cards and they are in two separate bags, stored under the insert. The cubes and coins are bagged and in the pocket where the "cards" are suppose to go. Maybe when they have the two next games to make the trilogy they will offer a big box for sale to carry everything. Who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the insert. Store the cubes in the bowls, easy and clean. The coin slots are rough though, I agree with you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
You are supposed to store the cubes in the bowls.

The cover prevents the cubes from coming out of the bowls, even when the game is stored vertically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:
Have you tried storing the cubes in the bowls even without lids? When my friend first got the game he didn't think you could store them in the bowls either. So I put them in the bowls, closed the box and then shook the box up as hard as I could... none of the cubes were out of place when I opened the box back up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Insert is awesome. I sleeved all the cards and I stored most of them under the insert while the rest are in the insert. I bagged the cubes and coins and they all fit fine no issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I need right now is 100 more people to tell me to store the cubes in the bowls. "Uncle!" I concede for a second time that it is a smart way to store the cubes. Too smart for my tiny brain to have figured it own on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
but did you know you could store the cubes in the bowls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:

Now you only need 99 more people to tell you.

Well... I too thought cubes stay in bowl perfectly too with my vertical storage so I guess now you only need 98 more people to tell you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrranch wrote:
FunkyBlue wrote:

Well... I too thought cubes stay in bowl perfectly too with my vertical storage so I guess now you only need 98 more people to tell you.

Ziggurat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
mrranch wrote:
FunkyBlue wrote:

Ziggurat?

I thought google would help clarify, but instead I am more confused...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
mrranch wrote:
(snip)pyramnid like towers(snip)
Imagine
you're
looking
down
from
an
aerial
view
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
mrranch wrote:
(snip)pyramnid like towers(snip)
Imagine
you're
looking
down
from
an
arial
view

The arial view is definitely better than the comic sans view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys must have plenty of time to mess about with pyramids, ziggurats, etc. but it's very clever and entertaining. I think the insert's one of the worst I've come across and I had to make a foamcore replacement to house all the components comfortably. Even the plastic is paper thin and it fell apart when I threw it out. Seems everything is done for cheapness in the production of this game, which is a shame as it's excellent! And as for using bits of candy to make up the spice shortfall .........!??*!?!*? Who produced this? Scrooge & Marley Inc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bcoot9 wrote:
I think the insert's one of the worst I've come across and I had to make a foamcore replacement to house all the components comfortably.
The bowls fit into the designated spaces perfectly. The cubes fit in the bowls. The cards fit in the card well, as do the bags of coins. We've never had any problem fitting anything at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. I'll accept that the pieces fit OK. I never tried placing the cubes in the bowls without the plastic bags. But I still think the plastic is very fragile and not durable. Also, I've sleeved my cards which means I've had to come up with some alternative plan because the well is not deep enough and this could easily have been rectified. I realise I'm sounding like I grouse for the sake of it, but I really do think that the insert is substandard when compared to most of the other games I have and there seems to have been some unnecessary pennypinching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Koch
South Africa
flag msg tools
I almost never keep inserts. Sometimes I don't even keep boxes, when they're those small boxes that are only big enough to hold the cards. Because once the cards are sleeved, they don't fit anymore. So inserts go in the bin, and all the game components go into baggies. And if I chuck the box, I just get a little plastic container.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.