Bill Norris
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking into a few of the options I see online for tracking enemy hit points and like the idea of using dice. I see some people using 6 sided dice, and others suggest 10.

For those that have played extensively, without revealing any spoilers, what is the highest number of hit points any non-boss in the game can have?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the answer is 36. I went through one of the helper sites on level 7 and checked every monster when I was deciding for myself.

Level 7 is "very hard" for level 8-9 characters. So 36 I would imagine would be quite rare. Most of the game is under 25 HP per mob, I suspect.

So my solution uses 4 colors of d6, and 2 can fit on the base at once. Normal enemies use 1 die at a time so up to 24 HP. Tough enemies can use two dice so up to 48 HP if needed.

However I'm not far in the game so not sure about any spoiler type thing that might change this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyric Connell

Ukiah
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll suggest percentile dice.
Two D-10's per monster. Makes it easy to track anything up to 100hp.
Most HP i've seen on a single monster thus far has been 48. 16xC there were three of us in the party. A fourth member would have made it 64hp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eborgann wrote:
I'll suggest percentile dice.
Two D-10's per monster. Makes it easy to track anything up to 100hp.
Most HP i've seen on a single monster thus far has been 48. 16xC there were three of us in the party. A fourth member would have made it 64hp.

Is that a boss/named monster? I was planning on using an off board solution for those types, but was hoping it was never more than 1-2. Are there regular "trash" mobs that get up that high? Where you might have a whole room of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Oareo wrote:
I think the answer is 36. I went through one of the helper sites on level 7 and checked every monster when I was deciding for myself.

Not all things with HP are monsters; some of these definitely go above 36, though I can't say exactly how high. At least one scenario I played had three of them on the board at once. (Though in this case, you could've put the dice on the board directly with plenty of room.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a fight with a named (but officially no Boss) monster with a HP-Pool of X HP x charactercount = (in our case) 60 HP and many shields in a quite low level dungeon. Would be much higher if we did that with a more experienced group. So using percentile dice is the right solution if you want to track by dice (we actually like the counters better for high counts because all dice over D8 tend to be quite unstable).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Von Strubel wrote:
(we actually like the counters better for high counts because all dice over D8 tend to be quite unstable).

D12s are fairly stable. but yeah, D10s can be accidently knocked over

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max S
msg tools
mbmb
We use d12 and d20 both fairly stable.
Of course, in rare case you have to add up dices, but this is never really a problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use D6 in six colours (green, yellow, red, blue, purple, black) and - although we haven't encountered any yet - we'll just stack +10 counters on the monster card for anything bigger.

I'm using 3D-printed bases for the monsters, in which 12mm D6 fit perfectly - other dice wouldn't fit very well.

It's amazing how good you get at base-6 arithmetic after a while...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wonham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using 2d6 per monster, blue and green. Blue is units, Green is multiples of 6. Allows up to 36 HP with only two dice. If there was anything bigger I'd probably find a 3rd dice of another colour, but that's a long way away....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hellström
Sweden
Kalmar
Sverige
flag msg tools
I have not tested this. But just got an idea.

Use 1xd6 and then use the dmg-tokens to count every time you get 6 on the dice like this:

tokens x 6 + d6

example:

the d6 = 3 and you have two tokens. That will be 2x6+3 = 15.

I know, you didn't want to use the tokens. But you can save some space at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Norris
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow a whole lot of info to take in here!

Thanks to everyone for the information. Based on this, it sounds like 2d10 is the way to go to track monsters. Although I'm hearing the downside is they can easily tip due to their shape.

I've seen some 3D printed stands that can hold D6 dice. I wonder if it's possible to make one that will hold D10...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
badge
My battery is low and it's getting dark.
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a designer of one of those types of bases, I did look at d10s. The problem is I don't have access to small enough d10s to fit 2 on the base and secure them well enough. Their shape doesn't lend themselves well enough.

Despite designing a base, we turned out not using them. Since we sit on opposite sides of each other, only 1 person could see the dice unless you want to turn them around. Also, although I can do base 6 well, the person I play with doesn't, so we went back to the token method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.