Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've broken down and decided to try to paint my Mem 44 minis. I've read through all the advice, suggestions, etc. here on BGG as well as on other sites. I'm looking at some pretty basic stuff since I've not done this before...but, the one thing I can't seem to find is...how much paint do I buy? e.g. Is one small bottle of primer enough? How many bottles of sealant? This will be an over the winter endeavor, so I'm thinking of not using spray for the base coat...thoughts? Is spray better than brush? Also, on using a wash...do I dilute the paint with water first? At what ratio? Remember, this will be a first for me so any halo, advice, pitfalls to avoid, etc., will be most welcome...thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few simple pointers to keep in mind as you get started:

~ Be sure to wash all of the figures in warm water with dish soap, then rinse well and dry before doing anything else. This will remove factory residue that will prevent the paint from sticking.

~ I always do spray primer because it's so much faster. I just get simple grey from a hardware store.

~ The paint goes a long ways, so you don't need tons. Just get one of each color you want to use.

~ Do as much detail as you want. Anything will look better than the plain plastic, so relax and have fun.

~ I use simple spray protective covering from the hobby store. Again, the paint goes a long ways, so you probably just need one.

Here is a resource I created when I painted some figures a while ago. It might be helpful: https://www.daysofwonder.com/en/mypage/362174/m44/story#_ind...

Have fun and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Draxon Bailo
Australia
Uranquinty
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spray primer is much better. Gets an even more smoother coat to start with.

If you never done this before, maybe get yourself a cheep pack of those plastic army men toy soldiers and have a few 'practice' runs on those first. Get a few techniques down and see how the paint and brushes work before starting your main work.

I use citadel paints (been painting warhammer and other minatures for 10-15 year's now)

Washes - if you get a paint thats is called a wash (or shade) you should not have to 'water it down'.if you do want to make it 'thinner' use a medium, not water to keep the 'wash' characteristics (water itself will change it)

Use a pallet so you can get the right amount in (not on) your brush ..

There is a tone of advice and techniques in minature painting out there, to much for one forum post.

Do a heap of research (warhammer forums and YouTube channels are great)... and practice, practice. ...
Test techniques out before committing. ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My best advice is to keep it simple. You have so many to do and in the end they are just game pieces

For example spray paint the Sherman's green, paint the tracks, black wash the bogies (wheels) and use strong tone (army painters) wash on the bodywork. Then seal it all with a varnish

You can do more detail but I'd save that effort for something at a bigger scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Woelkers
United States
Bristol
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Remember when spraying that 2 or 3 light coats are better than 1 heavy coat that might distort details. When painting one color try to paint all the places that you will use that color on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Good
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This

https://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=... Green

plus this

https://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=... Flesh

plus this

https://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=... Tone

Of course you can get more detailed if you like!!

Pip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.