Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Will the game include shorter scenarios that can be played on a smaller table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hansen
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It certainly appears so based on pictures in the Kickstarter (note the single map for Operation Uranus, and the presence of a scenario book). But clarification wouldn't hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
wtjBatman wrote:
It certainly appears so based on pictures in the Kickstarter (note the single map for Operation Uranus, and the presence of a scenario book).

Yes, but text suggests that the actual setup requires more of the map than is shown there, and all the scenarios mentioned sound quite long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game includes 6 scenarios (BARBAROSSA, TYPHOON, BLAU, URANUS, CITADEL, BAGRATION), all of which can also be used as the starting point for campaign play. All of these scenarios require the full map to play (e.g. there aren't any current scenarios that are played out on a "mini-map"), but I believe that one of the possible later stretch goals might be to create such smaller scenarios. In any event, the game is certainly flexible enough to permit players to craft smaller scenarios on their own if they want (I did so for some of my own tests of URANUS, focusing specifically on just the area around Stalingrad).

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Frank Chadwick's ETO" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Lancer4321 wrote:
In any event, the game is certainly flexible enough to permit players to craft smaller scenarios

I'd really like to see more of this. The system is great, and certainly has the potential to spawn many smaller more manageable games. I simply don't have the space to set up the whole thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schomp
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle for Moscow (second edition) whistle

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
dabowsa wrote:

That's the right direction, but does it incorporate the work that's gone into TitE? That's what I'm looking for: a series of smaller games (refitted and updated) with the latest ETO system and components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hansen
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"a series of smaller games" doesn't seem to describe Thunder in the East, or the ETO series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
...a series of smaller games (refitted and updated) with the latest ETO system and components.

That's been very seriously discussed (and would be my preference too). Decision still pending...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That's the right direction, but does it incorporate the work that's gone into TitE? That's what I'm looking for: a series of smaller games (refitted and updated) with the latest ETO system and components.

As I explained at the end of the video where I describe the entire ETO series, it is our hope to slice-and-dice this series back into smaller, introductory wargames. However, there is only so much time and mindshare for this, and we have every gray cell currently burning brightly on getting the second volume in this series, THE MIDDLE SEA, ready for out-of-house testing on Vassal.

Look, Frank Chadwick designed BATTLE FOR MOSCOW, and I published it in Fire & Movement's Beginner's Guide, back in 1986. We LOVE that game and very much want to follow it up with a new edition graced by all that the ETO series brings to it. But dividing our attention in two directions right now when there is so much to do for THE MIDDLE SEA, we believe, would be the wrong approach.

When TMS is "in the bag" and beta testing is underway, ETO's third volume, DECISION IN THE WEST, should be a lot less pressure to make as almost every ETO system will already be designed and thoroughly tested by then. Should that takes some of the pressure off of us and allow us to launch the first in a series of BATTLE FOR... games in parallel, that would be awesome.

But we have a plan to do EVERYTHING, do it PROPERLY, and in the correct sequence that best assures success. Trust me, a lot of thought has gone into ETO, root and branches, and we're following a carefully conceived publishing plan to get us there. Everyone wants everything now (myself very much included), but long publishing projects require patience on all our parts (and fortitude on the project team to keep at it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Lancer4321 wrote:
hat's been very seriously discussed (and would be my preference too). Decision still pending...

That would be great! And I hope the decision comes soon.

I'd love to support the KS even though, if I were honest with myself (not that I always am with KS projects), I'd have to admit that I'd never play it. And would support it if I were reasonably sure that the effort of reading the rules and a few aborted setups and abandoned games would pay off with a series of smaller ones.

Even better: If the counters from TitE could be used for the smaller games — e.g., if smaller games were offered to KS backers as upgrades consisting of much smaller maps and scenario rules only — I'd be 100% sold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How large is the full map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How large is the full map?

When you put the THUNDER IN THE EAST maps together you're looking at approximately 44" x 51" (after trimming it will be just under that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need a new table....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Backed, now just hoping my wife doesn’t leave me after yet another game purchase whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Lancer4321 wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
...a series of smaller games (refitted and updated) with the latest ETO system and components.

That's been very seriously discussed (and would be my preference too). Decision still pending...

Any news on this? It would make all the difference!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Any news on this?

Still in the discussion stage. I think the intent is to get the full-size ETO modules out first (or at least a couple of them), then choose a few "key campaigns" to release in the new smaller format -- perhaps one or two associated with each of the Modules (so, for example, an updated version of "Battle for Moscow" and perhaps a "Battle for Stalingrad" derived from the TitE game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, this is so much easier said than done on the entirety of the Russian front as opposed to an island or peninsula in the Med.

What we are planning on doing for sure is creating a set of DYO tools in the vassal module so players can "blackout hexes" and so, within their frame, create a "mini-game" map area to play on. From there, it is but a small DYO step to create setup, victory conditions, game length, and the reinforcement/withdrawal schedule. Honestly, if they're created thus, we would be very interested in more-formally publishing physical versions.

But we just don't have time to do that before the campaign ends next week. There is still a some polishing to do on TITE and the design of the next game THE MIDDLE SEA has a nice head of steam right now and we don't want to lose that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Alan Emrich wrote:
But we just don't have time to do that before the campaign ends next week. There is still a some polishing to do on TITE and the design of the next game THE MIDDLE SEA has a nice head of steam right now and we don't want to lose that.

OK. I'm backing this based on my faith in the team and the system. Even if I never manage to set up the whole map, I expect this will form the foundation for something that will last! VPG's devotion to making great, stable, well maintained, fun and deep systems means this is probably one I don't want to miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
I'm backing this based on my faith in the team and the system.

Thanks for your trust; we'll strive to live up to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.