Hide
4 Posts

Photosynthesis» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Basic Strat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Corso
msg tools
After doing multiple run throughs, I have a couple of basic strategies that can help you do better in Photosynthesis.

Never buy anything you don't plan to put out in the same turn. First you broadcast what you are doing to the other player. This might help them plot against you. Also, you use light on something that you might decide is not a good move by the time it is your next turn. Additionally, you potentially might pull a tree in the next round first lowering the cost. Two exceptions: when you are going to peak your 20 light points anyway or you absolutely need to save a tree from going out the game (Rarely 100% necessary to save). I see it all the time where someone buys a seed with there last point and the next turn they can't place the large tree because they are 1 light point away.

Positioning seeds. Sometimes it worth using the seed to block spots that from other players. If you have a seed there, the other players can't use that spot to directly block you. Using seeds as a defence can be very useful. It can also reserve a juice point spot, stealing the middle.

Designing your eco. Granted I need to play a few more rounds and it all depends on how everyone else is playing and how many players, but I find it very effective to use the outside of the board for economy as it is easier to get consistent light. Then I grows tree in the middle that i don't care if i get light because i am using the outside trees to power them. This gives you the points from the middle with an engine churning light points on the edge. This is a loose strategy I have use, and I have had a lot of luck with it.

Don't harvest large trees early. My rule of thumb is Harvest as fast as you can, but have a medium tree ready to grow into a large that round or next. You don't want to kill your economy. If you have to wait 2-3 round before you can get another big tree onboard, you would do better to keep the three light points until you have a medium tree ready to take its place.

These a basic strat I have tried and worked out for me. If you have some other good input, let me know. If you find some of this doesn't work for you, I would be interested in your thoughts why not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this several times and I think that there is some truth to this. Managing the outer ring (particularly the corners) seems to be a good way to power those larger trees that you will be growing and harvesting on the 2 and 3 leaf spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg K
Germany
flag msg tools
I also agree with your advice. As for the outer ring:

The six cornerspots have a general advantage over the spots inbetween, because they get unblockable light three times in a sun-turn instead of two times. Plus you can control the four point spot in the center from there.

It seems to me that saving a tree from permanent removal due to insufficient space on your board is almost always a waste of points. As for the seeds I am not sure, because they are indeed useful to block spots. As you can see the last two seeds cost double. That must have a reason.

For setup: the space you start, combined with your turn order, seems to be important too. You want to have your first tall tree during a turn in which it is in direct sunlight all possible turns. Additionally you want to be first player during the first turn you get alot of points.

In my games, the player who controlled a whole section of the board on their own most often managed to win. So that might be a good strategy: start with two trees on two corners right next to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Corso
msg tools
An additional thing I thought of that helps me.

This is mostly for the late game. Do some simple math before you place or spend anything on upgrades. Think of the light return value.

Example, if you have just 3-4 rounds of light left, is it worth putting down a small tree. Even if you have a seed in place already, you are looking to collect just 3-4 light points depending on the rounds left (if not blocked). If it costs you 3 points to buy and place the tree, then it is not worth it. Your investment didn't pay off if you don't net more light than it cost. Likely, you won't have time upgrade an harvest it anyway.

Unless of course it blocks other light from other people. If for some reason you can block light for sure on someone else, then you can add this blocked light to your calc as positive value.

Example, if you have three rounds left and your small tree will likely block 2-3 light from the other player, then you can add this light to your economy. Whatever light you collect, plus whatever you blocked. Hopefully you are going against someone that doesn't understand this and they upgrade to prevent the block in the late game. The cost of the upgrade can also benefit your economy swing if their upgrade doesn't pay out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.