Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Graham
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of letting Hessian prisoners stay in prison, as long as I felt I didn't need them, in order to avoid their modifier. This seems ok since 7/2/1 and 7/2/2 state the British player can choose which units to release. But the second sentence of 7/4 says, "Only after all Hessians are on the map can you buy any non-Hessians." So will I be unable to deploy any units until I get all Hessians released from prison, or does 7/4 just mean all the Hessians in the force pool have to be on the map first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ragram wrote:
I was thinking of letting Hessian prisoners stay in prison, as long as I felt I didn't need them, in order to avoid their modifier. This seems ok since 7/2/1 and 7/2/2 state the British player can choose which units to release. But the second sentence of 7/4 says, "Only after all Hessians are on the map can you buy any non-Hessians." So will I be unable to deploy any units until I get all Hessians released from prison, or does 7/4 just mean all the Hessians in the force pool have to be on the map first?

Are you using the Second Edition rules? I don't remember if the two editions have any differences on this point, but the rule here (7/4) is clear to me: If the British are buying any units, the first unit(s) bought must be Hessians and only after all Hessians are bought can the British buy any other unit(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The excerpt that Ralph quoted is indeed from the 2nd Ed Rulebook. I think Ralph can actually answer his own question by realizing that in order for a Hessian unit to end up in Prison, the unit must've been previously "on the map", which satisfies the requirement per the rule.

So the rule as written does the job. But still, Robert, I think that the way you wrote the rule above is a lot clearer than how it's written in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Graham
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for both your very prompt replies. Great game, by the way. Lots of tension, emotional highs and lows. I am using the 2d edition rulebook.

The importance of my question is that prison might be used as a place to temporarily park Hessians where their loyalty modifier isn't in play, similar to what can be done with Quebec.

The rule 7/4 is clear that if Hessians are in the Force Pool box they must be the first ones bought. My question is what if there are none in the the Force Pool, but there are some in the Prisoners of War box. Do I have to get them released and purchase them before I can purchase any non-Hessian units in the Force Pool? Rule 7/4 states that before that all Hessians must "be on the map," so I am wondering if there is an implied duty to get them released from prison, too.

I didn't consider prison "on the map," but Mr. Miller is saying it does mean that. I am ok with that. I can see it either way. They were obviously purchased and "on the map" before being captured, and he is saying they go off the map only when released from prison and back to the force pool, where they then are off the map and must again be the first to go onto the map. I was thinking they were off the map when in prison.

If I understand you both, would the clearest way to express this be to change "Only after all Hessians are on the map" to "Only when there are no Hessians in the Force Pool..."?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.