Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: First game tomorrow! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been eyeing this up for a while now, and thanks to Santa it's in my collection and ready for a first game tomorrow! We've got 5 of us who have never played before, so I've spent this afternoon reading the rules and removing the red symbol cards. Pumped for it!

Anything I should know going in for common first game errors? Also, anyone else love the box art?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Noda
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Common mistake that I have seen is taking one or two actions a generation rather than just on your turn. This means that you can take 1/2 actions, have everyone else take 1/2 actions, and then take more actions when it is your turn again in the same generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
- If you play with corporate era cards you start with all resources at ZERO (plus any bonuses your corporation give you).

- Cities can't be placed adjacent to each other, unless a card explicitly states you can.

- Greenery tiles must be placed next to a tile you own on the board, if possible.

- Take 2MC for each ocean tile you place next to. It doesn't work the other way around, so you get nothing for placing an ocean tile next to non-ocean tiles.

- Make sure people don't raise their TR when told raise their MC production. New players seem to always mistake the two.

- Make sure it's clear to new players what steel and titanium do. I've had people be confused by what it can be spent on, even after having it explained at the start of the game. Remind them during the game if you notice they aren't spending it.

- Move leftover energy to heat before you produce.

- Mangrove and Protected Valley only increase Oxygen +1

- Mining Guild special ability only increases Steel production +1, even if placement bonus has 2 steel or 2 titanium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MJ
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1CHNUP wrote:
Common mistake that I have seen is taking one or two actions a generation rather than just on your turn. This means that you can take 1/2 actions, have everyone else take 1/2 actions, and then take more actions when it is your turn again in the same generation.

This! We played 2 games taking only 1-2 actions per generation. My research on why we had so many resources (and kept running out of tokens) revealed our mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For your first game, i highly suggest NOT playing with more than 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CR Bonnie
msg tools
mb
Nice gift! I hope you like it!

possumman wrote:
...We've got 5 of us who have never played before, so I've spent this afternoon reading the rules and removing the red symbol cards. Pumped for it!

My personal opinion is that 5 player (TFM) games are the least enjoyable... There's just a little to much downtime for my taste, and the games ends quicker than I feel it should. Absolutely go for it as it is your first game anyway, but just so you know, maybe your first play will leave you wanting more and this could be it.

possumman wrote:
Also, anyone else love the box art?

It's nice, right?!

also:

- don't bump the table and try to remember your production values, it's a shortcoming of the game/design but it's not THAT bad, just be careful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I would not remove any cards, it does not make the game much easier but it makes it more boring. Just start with 1 production.

Five player is not great, though. You'll probably see the deck run out so remember it's shuffled when that happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
You should expect to spend some time with 5 ...

As others posted this is not a great player count for the first game (maybe not at all), but I understand that it won't be possible to leave someone out.
If you stick to play with 5, agree that everyone will play by feeling without thinking too much and don't draft. Still a lot of cards to read ...

Hope, you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Furry Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't play with all the cards. Play the standard game, no drafting, all production at 1. No matter what others say, starting with all the cards is not a good idea. The corporate cards are a bit more complex and for new players they will most likely prolong the game as people focus on engine building more than actually terraforming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Rosen
United States
Carrboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to the previous comments, my advice is to be careful to increase TR when a player places an ocean tile or increases temperature or oxygen. It was surprisingly easy to forget for us early on. Maybe it was just my group, but in early games this happened most notably with placing greenery tiles. For some reason after increasing the oxygen we just forgot about TR (or vice versa in some cases). Keep in mind that once oxygen is maxed no TR for additional greenery tiles.

Hope you and your group enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great advice.
We ended up with a 4 player game and had a great time. We spent the first couple of turns checking and rechecking what happened when you place a green tile, and doesn't something happen when oceans get played, and can I put a city there, but once we got into the swing the rules started to click and we had a great time.
We took your advice and played beginner corporations, production 1, no extra cards; great suggestion! There was more than enough to think about.

Took us about 2h30m which isn't too bad for a first run through - I think the final scores were 65/55/53/48.

Things we learned:
- Megacredits run out! We played loads of cards in Generation 1, but with an income of just 20 (+ a few) it's hard to sustain
- Your first tile matters! I played my first tile right on the edge and it hampered my green tiles for the rets of the game
- Use the standard projects. We constantly forgot about them

It's our first heavier Euro and I'm super pleased with it. Fingers crossed for another game tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that only greeneries needs to be placed next to another of your tiles. Cities can be placed anywhere as long as not next to another city. Special tiles go according to the cards they ste played from, but usually anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Espie
msg tools
mb
possumman wrote:

- Megacredits run out! We played loads of cards in Generation 1, but with an income of just 20 (+ a few) it's hard to sustain

You are wrong, it's not hard to sustain, it's impossible to sustain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
possumman wrote:
- Your first tile matters! I played my first tile right on the edge and it hampered my green tiles for the rest of the game

This can happen, but remember that if you really need to you can buy a standard action city and place it elsewhere, making a new spot for your greenery tiles (one that scores point too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
New London
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember to set all your production to ONE when you start. We played the first game with production starting at zero, and that was crazy hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.