Subject: Solo Mode is Brutal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Wells
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone else getting their butt kicked in solo mode? I had a ton of gift cards to the FLGS and such so I bought myself a copy to play solo and got wrecked in game one. Did that happen to anyone else? I'm playing with just two automata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Darlage
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
These pretzels are making me thirsty
mbmbmbmbmb
wells101 wrote:
Is anyone else getting their butt kicked in solo mode? I had a ton of gift cards to the FLGS and such so I bought myself a copy to play solo and got wrecked in game one. Did that happen to anyone else? I'm playing with just two automata.
Yes, I have played 4 games solo so far. In game 1 and 2, I got destroyed. In game 3 & 4, I lost as well, but I came in 2nd in both games (I am playing against 2 Automa). I am not sure if this is normal, but in game 3 I only lost by 4 and in game 4 by 5. So it is getting closer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's normal, and why they now recommended automa to be at strength of 1 for the first game. You'll get better and gain ground on them in later games, and their difficulty will scale to match you and still provide a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Quinlivan
Australia
West Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Im certainly finding it a challenge but just finished game 5 and currently "we" (ie me and the two automas) are at two wins a piece. A couple of the games though I know I was playing less than optimally as I was focusing on other things than points...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
... ie opening crates/building and going for the guidepost. And I lost *badly*. But that was fine as it just weakened the automa for next game and gave me extra capacity

Personally I'm happy with the balance, of course I hate losing to the automa but I feel the same when I lose to the automa in Scythe and Viticulture ("damn you automa, foiled again!") and in the grand scheme of things if you didn't lose sometimes it's not a challenge.

Are you remembering to adjust automa strength for the next game if you lose badly? If you haven't, make sure to do that. If you have, and you're not finding it fun, I guess you could always reduce the automa strength a bit further but that may break its balance completely (Morton, David... is this something worth considering or a bid no-no?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pelletier
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me - John 14:6
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished game 4 solo against 2 automas. I lost game 1, won 2 & 3, and the 2 automas tied for the win in game 4. Starting at strength 1, I forgot to bump to 2 for game 2, but played game 3 at 2 strength and game 4 at 3 strength. During game 4 I was focusing on...

...the guidepost task

so I lost by exactly 10 to the 2 automas...so I'll be dropping strength to 2 for game 5.

That said, it feels like the automa are tough because they are gaining VP on every turn, whereas I might get one here and there, and then 5 for the big tasks (Zeppelin, Charterstone, Grandstand), and then occasionally grabbing 3-4 by filling a quota - I'm using this more since...

unlocking peril...since I don't use these very often when I gain them,
its easy to fill a quota and gain VP and/or reputation

However, I haven't found that the automa are so tough that I can't keep up. Plus, I don't feel like I have to win every game because campaign progress is more interesting to me. And there's bonuses for losing too:

I can't remember off the top of my head when this rule comes out, so I'm spoiler tagging it just in case. But when you lose after game X,
you start to gain capacity, which will give you a slight edge for each subsequent game. I just gained my first capacity bump after I lost game 4.

I do think it would be more interesting playing against real people, but I chose to do this one solo because my sons aren't as into worker placement as I am (we're currently working through Pandemic Legacy 2 together). I was able to get the game for $41 on Amazon just before Christmas, so it's well worth playing solo. And if I think I can convince a friend or 5 to play I can always buy the recharge pack.

Good job, Jamey...so far this one has earned its spot on my game shelf next to Scythe and Viticulture. Keep 'em coming!

Edit: also, mad props to Morten for developing the automa!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mogust wrote:
It's normal, and why they now recommended automa to be at strength of 1 for the first game. You'll get better and gain ground on them in later games, and their difficulty will scale to match you and still provide a challenge.

Yeah, we should have set the difficulty to 1 instead of 2 initially. It's definitely beatable at strength 2, but it's harder than we want it to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
It gets a little easier as the games go on because you have more options to achieve victory.

However, the Automa strength scales incredibly well.

I just won my solo campaign by 4 points versus two Automa.

I started winning around the halfway point. Everytime I got to Automa 6, I would get destroyed and it would go back to Automa 5, which I could beat, which would send it back to 6...

It keeps the challenge relevant throughout.

Stick with it!

Remember that legacy is about building for the future. That often means accepting early losses in exchange for advantages in the second half of whatever legacy campaign you're playing.

It's worth the trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Woods
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was at very tough at first. But once I got some personas that worked well together and some of the other components
(e.g. lots of cat minions and personas that interact with peril)
that get introduced later, and
once I got my capacity up and some starting resources from glory
I found myself winning by greater and greater margins. It was interesting to find exploits that the Automa could not use, and it was certainly a welcome challenge (I used 2). The final game was Automa strength 6, and I still won by a good 15 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Wells
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's good to know. I did manage to win Game 2 by realizing one of the easy ways to catch up was to go for reputation and the orders thing, and let the Automa open crates.

I did also have to stop and check my archive against the index, and was glad I did. I was missing a lot of cards just from going too fast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.