3 Posts

Heart of Crown» Forums » Rules

Subject: Keeping Cards & Kept Defense Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arion Vojacek-Sobczak
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey y'all, was snooping around the forum trying to get a better handle on the state of errata'd cards and rules and found a few question that I didn't see asked.

Short Versions:
1) are kept cards revealed or not
2) do kept defense cards go to your hand when triggered for defense, or do they stay kept (and if so - revealed or not)

Long Versions:
1)In another thread it was stated that kept cards are played face up, which was then confirmed by another user (to prevent potential cheating). However in the PDF (and print rules for my version) I didn't see any mention of the kept cards needing to be face-up, other than a diagram how an action can be kept. I also didn't see any adjustment in the errata sheet on the Japanime games HoC resources. Was hoping to get someone else to pin this down for me.
2)According to the rules:
"When you use a Defense Card, you show the card to your opponent, and the portion of the card’s ability following “Defense Effect:” takes effect. You resolve a Defense Card’s ability before that of the Attack Card. When you use a Defense Card, you do not have to discard it. Also, when you reveal the card, you do not move it from where it is. A Defense Card in your hand stays in your hand, and one that you are keeping stays kept."
--However according to the errata file:
"How​ ​do​ ​I​ ​use​ ​Defense​ ​cards​ ​like​ ​Rampart?
If you are using a Defense card to defend against an attack, you simply reveal it, do its effect and then return it to your hand. If you use a Defense card from your Domain you remove it from your Domain, resolve its effect and then return it to your hand."
--And according to the most recent English Rulebook by Zimeon on BGG:
"Please note the Defence card isn’t discarded or anything (unless stated), it stays where it is, in your hand or Realm, revealed."

So, when I use a Domain defense card does it go into my hand, stay kept but become revealed (from hidden), or stay kept and stay revealed (as it was always face up)?

I know these are kinda fiddly questions, but I have a bit of a reputation for finding those in my game group (and my brain has a bad habit of not letting them go).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Kept cards are public information so face up. There are also cards you can play which mimics or target other player's kept card.
2) No unless otherwise stated. Same kept card can be used multiple times if same opponent attacks you multiple times during his turn.

"If you use a Defense card from your Domain you remove it from your Domain, resolve its effect and then return it to your hand."
This sounds like nonsense. Do what Zimeon says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arion Vojacek-Sobczak
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks! I just got the expansions yesterday and found a card that needed kept cards to be open information (Hadn't seen any cards in my plays that implied they needed to be face up yet).

Also, yeh - that sentence seems to be very out of place among all other versions of the rules, just needed a sanity check unless I missed something.

Appreciate the clarification! Woo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.