ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be a good alternative to Mage Knight? One that is soloable but less complicated with a shorter setup time and still have the same flavor of adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
get off of the computer.
badge
play the games you have.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game Blitz Scenario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Afaik, Gloomhaven has a similar hand management resource mechanic. Check out the forum about setup, tho!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Glooomhaven is definitely simpler and faster playing, but setup is even worse. Check out Mistfall or its standalone expansion Mistfall: Heart of the Mists. You'll find some negative feedback about the first one, as it had a very bad rulebook (now completely rewritten), wrong text on cards (also fixed) and some issues with the time track (reworked for Heart of the Mists). There's a great game system in there which feels like Mage Knight lite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Costa
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
designer
Suggestion: try taking a look at "Ascended", if you're interested.

Not quite the same, and you have to be open to some innovations that might not please everyone, but it has the same vybe to it and it's much simpler and quicker, for sure.

I also base this recommendation on our customer's feedback!

Disclaimer 1: I am one of the game's designers.

Disclaimer 2: Believe it or not, we designed it without having ever played Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artaterxes
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound with the Unbreakable Bonds expansion is my favourite “dudes on a map” solo game.

Mage Knight has good mechanics but long setup time and theme takes a backseat. I really like Mistfall also, but it’s a card game so exploration of the land doesn’t (well barely) exists. It’s all about the combat. Legends of Andor is great too, except you’re punished for defeating enemies. (Yeah there’s a thematic explanation behind it... still don’t like that.) Plus in Andor, the art is beautiful but the theme surprisingly abstract. Shields blocking bad events? Helmets adding to attack power? That type of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have decided to give the Legends Of Andor a try. There are a lot of pieces but I understand that not all are in use for every mission. I also like how the rules are presented in the tutorial game. Most of the info and rules are on the cards and board. Some of the mechanics are questionable but I'll give it a shot. If I don't like it the game is popular enough that I should be able to sell it. Thank you for the suggestions. As always the BGG community steps up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Star Trek re-theme, perhaps? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Jordheim
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like you already mad pe your choice but, if you are still looking, Aeon's End might also be a good choice.

It is a card driven deck builder with quick setup and great chances for comboing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian S
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised that The 7th Continent hasnt been mentioned.
The gameboygeek's favourite game of 2017 packs a ton of adventure ala choose your own adventure style with short setup time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Go old school and PnP yourself a copy of Barbarian Prince. Basically no set-up/clean-up time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Go old school and PnP yourself a copy of Barbarian Prince. Basically no set-up/clean-up time.

I have Barbarian Prince but, dang, it's hard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:

I have Barbarian Prince but, dang, it's hard!

No, it is cruel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.