Subject: Timing question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Schneider
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
You Move to the Graveyard in scenario two of the Core Set with one of your investigators.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Herman is already revealed
and present so you want to deal with him in some way. The Graveyard starts with "After" which means that the Graveyard's effect (in this case making a Will check) occurs after other effects pertinent to the Move take place. Sooo...

Herman
engages the investigator and assuming nothing else relevant takes place you do your Will check and fail it. You elect to move to Rivertown and thus
Herman
follows you there. In this case I actually didn't mind this as I didn't have to then Move my second investigator Wendy at all in order to help Roland. But did I do the timing right here? Should
Herman
have engaged first or not?

Sorry about all the spoiler covers but just trying to..well..avoid spoilers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When an enemy engages with you, they are placed in your threat area. They do not 'follow' you in the sense that they move separately from you. They move when you do because they are engaged with you and in your threat area.

An unexhausted enemy engages with you as soon as you enter their location (so long as they are not aloof).

Just remember that if you take any action other than fight, evade, parley, resign, or a fast/free-triggered action, the monster does an attack of opportunity.

I don't have the locations out in front of me, but if you used an action to move you would take an AoO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Schneider
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
The graveyard's failed Will test forces you to move back to Rivertown --it is not a action Move. But the creature's engagement would take place first before the Will check is what I want to confirm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is all correct. And there is no AoO because it was a forced move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the ArkhamDB page, any ready enemies in the Graveyard will engage you before the test, so if you fail and choose to move back rather than take the horror, they come with you (and without an AoO). Seems useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Schneider
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
According to the ArkhamDB page, any ready enemies in the Graveyard will engage you before the test, so if you fail and choose to move back rather than take the horror, they come with you (and without an AoO). Seems useful!

Indeed-and I was actually hoping it would happen. Which kinda leads me to another question--can you intentionally fail a skill test if you wish? Just don't draw the chit for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Well, there's no AoO because no Action was taken, rather than because it was Forced. If the move was via Pathfinder (or, rather, a hypothetical higher level of Pathfinder that didn't have a restriction about enemies) it also wouldn't trigger an AoO, because it's not an Action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jackman51 wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:

Indeed-and I was actually hoping it would happen. Which kinda leads me to another question--can you intentionally fail a skill test if you wish? Just don't draw the chit for example.

No, you can't intentionally fail a test. Also, not drawing Chaos Tokens should normally be making you pass tests you would otherwise fail, not the other way around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Schneider
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Not if your stat is lower than the skill test number itself. But okay I guess I can see that this is just plain a cheesy attempt to game the system. So draw I will. I'll just say thanks to the luck gods here and not commit any cards to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Well, there's no AoO because no Action was taken, rather than because it was Forced. If the move was via Pathfinder (or, rather, a hypothetical higher level of Pathfinder that didn't have a restriction about enemies) it also wouldn't trigger an AoO, because it's not an Action.

Different words, same meaning. I would describe the hypothetical Pathfinder as a forced move too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Different words, same meaning. I would describe the hypothetical Pathfinder as a forced move too.

Given Forced is a in-game-term, and has nothing to do with this hypothetical Pathfinder, I wouldn't advise it. Rules questions can be solved much more reliably if you use consistent terminology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.