BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Sleeving game tokens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, lately I've found amazing small round capsules for coin collectors in varied sizes that are also very strong and super cheap and so I started sleeving with them all my round game tokens and coins and it feels amazing and highly protective.

Could anyone recommend a place to also get square capsules in that manner?
Looking through ebay (where I got my round ones from) I only found one standard size for small square capsules (while the round ones had about 20 different sizes) and they are almost 5 times more expansive than the round ones for no apparent reason.

Any thoughts?

Thanks~!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SissyBell wrote:
they are almost 5 times more expansive than the round ones for no apparent reason.

The only square ones I've seen are a) much larger than your average round capsule (~50mm as opposed to 30mm or so) and b) come with a foam insert to hold a round coin in the centre. So they're more expensive because you get more stuff, both in material quantity terms and count terms.

I'm afraid I don't know of any particularly good places to get square coin capsules, but I would note that you can get edge heat sealers pretty cheaply, so you could just make your own actual sleeves for rectangular tokens pretty easily by placing one in the corner of a card sleeve and heat-sealing then trimming around them. Or just buy a slightly larger circular one to fit the square token into and put up with the gaps.

ooozan wrote:
Why?

Why do people sleeve cards? Same reasons. Two most obvious reasons I can think of:

Sometimes it's worth it to protect the components of a game. For example, I really like Forbidden Stars, which is out of print and already hard to get hold of, and it's not going to get easier. It has a series of order tokens with identical backs and it's pretty much critical to the game that I can't tell which order an opponent has put down at any given time. On the other hand players are handling these tokens all the time in a stressful decision-making game, so if there's a fiddler in the game they may sit there flipping or handling the tokens continuously. If my order tokens get damaged or worn, the game is unplayable, and encasing them all in coin capsules would make sure that didn't happen - or that if it did, I could just swap out the plastic capsule (far cheaper than another copy of the game via eBay speculators) then it's back to full service.

Sometimes the tokens in the game are so thin or have such rounded-over corners that they're hard to pick up, and coin capsules - being thicker and chunkier - help make it easier to pick up and handle thin, flimsy or otherwise annoying tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozan wrote:

because it looks and feels awesome and in an ideal world the games would've arrived this way right off the box.

thanks Bichatse! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're set up to do so, it may be less effort and expense to just recreate the tokens. A PnP set to play with, a 'real' set to keep in a cool, dark place, safe from actual players.

And, as always, sleeving the players is even cheaper.

If the problem is that the original components are kinda crap, then I'd want to recreate them for use anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really surprised a company like MeepleSource hasn't already started offering replacement tokens. I know they already do tons of different resources, some of with are very game specific.

I'd imagine there would be a market for stuff like the Forbidden Stars tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiai Weidemann
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The round ones came from coin collecting. Have you looked into stamp collecting supplies. I do not know, I am just suggesting a place to look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lukedenby wrote:
I'm really surprised a company like MeepleSource hasn't already started offering replacement tokens. I know they already do tons of different resources, some of with are very game specific.

I'd imagine there would be a market for stuff like the Forbidden Stars tokens.

Small batch printing and diecutting is not cheap. Replacement counters have been a thing in wargaming circles for a long time, and one of the main things that's makes it viable at all is the standard layouts of countersheets. The wider tabletop scene has no such standardization.

Raiding old copies for parts is a time honored tradition.

And in recent years a grass roots market offering wood and acrylic token upgrades has sprouted up, thanks to laser cutters. These can be affordable produced on demand, where exact replacements (offset prints mounted to chipboard and diecut) cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll want these as well: Introducing Sleeve Sleeves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
If you're set up to do so, it may be less effort and expense to just recreate the tokens.

This is, in fact, the exact reason that I don't actually have my Forbidden Stars tokens in coin capsules; I can easily recreate a player set if I need to. But that's where I first heard about them, and I can totally understand the non-PnP-oriented people who use them. If you stop playing one game you can always take the capsules off and use them for another game, just like card sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also just hit them with acrylic sealer and make them pretty much indestructible.

I'd rather upgrade the components before coin sleeving cardboard.

But I appreciate the urge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozan wrote:

The Arkham LCG has tokens you are drawing out of a bag and they really start to show wear (stirring them up and really hoping not to be doomed though you know you will be)... anyway the tokens in the coin cases work great for this game. I don't sleeve many card games or much of anything but the tokens in that game in the cases work great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to this thread, I am starting to sleeve my minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SissyBell wrote:
Hey guys, lately I've found amazing small round capsules for coin collectors in varied sizes that are also very strong and super cheap and so I started sleeving with them all my round game tokens and coins and it feels amazing and highly protective.

Could anyone recommend a place to also get square capsules in that manner?
Looking through ebay (where I got my round ones from) I only found one standard size for small square capsules (while the round ones had about 20 different sizes) and they are almost 5 times more expansive than the round ones for no apparent reason.

Any thoughts?

Thanks~!

This is actually a good idea.

Following.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I used coin capsules for Arkham Horror: The Card Game and they work wonderfully!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.