Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

How else besides turning in 4 green cubes can you get a tech tile?

Or is that the only way?

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever you build a research lab or academy, you also gain a tech tile (and thus a research step).

Edited for more clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In add to this the Itar faction can also use the ability of their Planetary Institute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
All,

Or is that the only way?

Thx
jonpfl

EDIT: I misunderstood the OP's meaning, and my statements below are mostly wrong. Nevertheless they contain some truth so I will leave them here with this caveat

You can't actually get a tech tile just by spending 4 knowledge. That advances you 1 step on a research track of your choice, but it doesn't come with a tech tile.

Barring certain faction special abilities, the only way to get a tech tile is to upgrade to a research lab or academy. Doing so always allows you to advance one step on a track (with certain restrictions depending on which tech tile you took) - but advancing on a track does NOT automatically get you a tech tile.

This means that you can usually only get a maximum of 7 tech tiles each game. (Build 3 research labs, upgrade 2 to academies, then get those 2 research labs back. Note that there are of course other orders you can do this in - and in any case I expect it to be very rare to get all 7. I am just explaining where the limit of 7 comes from, because it might seem a number plucked out of thin air if you haven't thought about it )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
All,

Or is that the only way?

Thx
jonpfl

You can't actually get a tech tile just by spending 4 knowledge. That advances you 1 step on a research track of your choice, but it doesn't come with a tech tile.

Barring certain faction special abilities, the only way to get a tech tile is to upgrade to a research lab or academy. Doing so always allows you to advance one step on a track (with certain restrictions depending on which tech tile you took) - but advancing on a track does NOT automatically get you a tech tile.

This means that you can usually only get a maximum of 7 tech tiles each game. (Build 3 research labs, upgrade 2 to academies, then get those 2 research labs back. Note that there are of course other orders you can do this in - and in any case I expect it to be very rare to get all 7. I am just explaining where the limit of 7 comes from, because it might seem a number plucked out of thin air if you haven't thought about it )

Don’t forget the action space that costs 4 QIC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
robinz wrote:
jonpfl wrote:
All,

Or is that the only way?

Thx
jonpfl

You can't actually get a tech tile just by spending 4 knowledge.[...]

The green cubes are Q.I.C.s, not knowledge. There's a Q.I.C. action giving you a tech tile that's referenced here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, forgot about the QICs. I will shut up now ninja

(This is what comes from having played only once - although I can't wait to play again - and no-one ever having used the QIC actions...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
[...] and no-one ever having used the QIC actions...)
Trust me - you will!

You'll find out that QIC actions are the main use for QICs in the later game, while in the first half, they are almost exclusively used to colonize Gaia planets and range extensions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hawaiian
msg tools
mb
To get an advanced tech tile it's the same thing right? You need to be on step 4 or 5 of the research track and then when you upgrade to a Research Lab/Academy you take the advanced tech tile and put it over your regular tech tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evitageN wrote:
To get an advanced tech tile it's the same thing right? You need to be on step 4 or 5 of the research track and then when you upgrade to a Research Lab/Academy you take the advanced tech tile and put it over your regular tech tile?

From my understanding, when you can get a tech tile (either by upgrading OR turning in green cubes), if you are at step 4 or 5, you can take an advanced tech tile from THAT column and put it over an existing tech tile.

You must own at least one federation token with its green side face up. Turn that tile to the gray side.

Also, you may pick any column to push your tech up 1 step. If you push from 4 to 5, you need another green side federation token to flip to gray.

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
Whenever you build a research lab or academy, you also gain a tech tile (and a research step).

At the risk of Apologies for being pedantic:

It's more precise to say that whenever you build a research lab or academy, you gain a tech tile. Whenever you gain a tech tile (through any means), you have the opportunity to advance a research step.

In other words, building the research lab or academy doesn't grant you an additional research step beyond the one that the tech tile grants you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mitcharf wrote:
Joakley815 wrote:
Whenever you build a research lab or academy, you also gain a tech tile (and a research step).

It's more precise to say that whenever you build a research lab or academy, you gain a tech tile. Whenever you gain a tech tile (through any means), you have the opportunity to advance a research step.

In other words, building the research lab or academy doesn't grant you an additional research step beyond the one that the tech tile grants you.

I thought that was clear enough by my parenthetical mention of the research step, but I probably should have included the word "thus."

Pedantry is much appreciated by some, myself included!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hawaiian
msg tools
mb
mitcharf wrote:
Joakley815 wrote:

No additional steps for advanced tech tiles though right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gaining 1 advanced tech tile grants you 1 tech step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
evitageN wrote:
mitcharf wrote:
Whenever you gain a tech tile (through any means), you have the opportunity to advance a research step.

Correct. It is exactly one step up a research track, regardless of whether the tech tile is standard or advanced.

If you take a standard tech tile from directly beneath one of the tech tracks, then you only can take your step up on that particular track.

If you take one of the bottom three standard tech tiles (that are not directly beneath a single tech track), then you choose the tech track on which to take your step.

Somewhat counterintuitively, when you take an advanced tech tile, you choose the tech track on which to take your step up.

From having taught this game now to several people, I've learned that a lot of people assume that when taking an advanced tech tile, they can only take the step on its track, since the tile sits directly on a particular track. They get it confused with the rule for the standard tech tiles that are directly beneath the tracks.

For gameplay reasons, it wouldn't work very well if that was actually the case, since:
1) You can only take an advanced tech tile if you are on step 4 or 5 of its track, leaving you little or no room to step up
and
2) Even if you are on step 4 of that track and therefore have room to take a step, someone may already be on step 5 (and only one player is allowed to be on step 5 of each track)
and
3) Even if you are on step 4 and no other player is on step 5, you may not have two federation tokens available to flip (one for taking the advanced tech tile, the other for going to step 5)

But beginning players usually aren't going to think all of that through immediately, so the advanced tech tile rule is easy for them to forget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
There are four ways to gain a tech tile:
1) upgrade TS to RL
2) upgrade RL to AC (Mad Androids/Bescods: upgrade TS to AC)
3) take 4 QIC action
4) (Itars with PI: discard 4 power tokens during Gaia Phase)

Regardless of which of the four ways above you used to gain a tech tile, you can
a) take a standard tech tile (which you don't own already)
b) take an advanced tech tile if you are on level 4 or 5 of the research track which holds the advanced tech tile AND have a green federation marker AND have a standard tech tile to cover

Regardless of which tech tile you picked, you now can advance one step in a research track, though the step must fulfill ALL of the following conditions:
I) if advancing to level 5, you must have a green federation marker AND the level 5 box must be empty
II) if you picked one of the six standard tech tiles below one of the research tracks, you must advance on that research track
III) if you picked one of the three unassigned standard tech tiles or an advanced tech tile, you can pick on which research track you advance
IV) (Bal T'aks without PI: you cannot advance on "Navigation")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mitcharf wrote:
evitageN wrote:
mitcharf wrote:
Whenever you gain a tech tile (through any means), you have the opportunity to advance a research step.

Correct. It is exactly one step up a research track, regardless of whether the tech tile is standard or advanced.

If you take a standard tech tile from directly beneath one of the tech tracks, then you only can take your step up on that particular track.

If you take one of the bottom three standard tech tiles (that are not directly beneath a single tech track), then you choose the tech track on which to take your step.

Somewhat counterintuitively, when you take an advanced tech tile, you choose the tech track on which to take your step up.

From having taught this game now to several people, I've learned that a lot of people assume that when taking an advanced tech tile, they can only take the step on its track, since the tile sits directly on a particular track. They get it confused with the rule for the standard tech tiles that are directly beneath the tracks.

For gameplay reasons, it wouldn't work very well if that was actually the case, since:
1) You can only take an advanced tech tile if you are on step 4 or 5 of its track, leaving you little or no room to step up
and
2) Even if you are on step 4 of that track and therefore have room to take a step, someone may already be on step 5 (and only one player is allowed to be on step 5 of each track)
and
3) Even if you are on step 4 and no other player is on step 5, you may not have two federation tokens available to flip (one for taking the advanced tech tile, the other for going to step 5)

But beginning players usually aren't going to think all of that through immediately, so the advanced tech tile rule is easy for them to forget.

this is a very helpful clarification. thank you. i played in the play test and i had forgotten that the advanced tech tile grants you an advance anywhere. that's easy to overlook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.