BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Two play card game with high replayability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
So I'm looking at picking up a 2 player card game to play with my wife that has really high replayability. Some of our favourites include:

Battle Line
Lost Cities
Jaipur
Biblios
Hanamikoji
Red 7
Fabled Fruit

Did not really like:

Race for the Galaxy
Fox in the Forest

We did like Dominion but got a little bored with it after multiple plays. There are two games I'm looking at getting that are both deck builders, Valley of the Kings and Hero Realms. Just not 100% sold on them though and would love some input on both those two games and any other recommendations!

You can all check my collection out to see what else I already have. Thanks all, look forward to hearing what you all recommend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Sci-fi theme makes every game better.
badge
Nexus Ops fan
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valley of the Kings would be my deck-builder of choice.
I like deck-builders that make you do something more than just play cards, buy a card. Dominion serves as a very good introduction to the genre but it is just an introduction.

With VotK, you have to make a choice about using the cards in your deck or removing them (Entombing) in order to score points with them.
It does have some follow-ups- Afterlife is also highly-recommended.
It also has a big advantage over Dominion with regards to shelf space. The box is no bigger than two packs of playing cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
First and foremost I would suggest you check out the A Couple of Gamers guild. But if you want a quick answer, personally I would say look at Splendor. Setup time is usually less than a minute, the component quality is great. There is also an iOS app so if you're unsure you can always test the game out before buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary o
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper or Mystery Rummy: Al Capone and the Chicago Underworld
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave316 wrote:
We did like Dominion but got a little bored with it after multiple plays. There are two games I'm looking at getting that are both deck builders, Valley of the Kings and Hero Realms. Just not 100% sold on them though and would love some input on both those two games and any other recommendations!

I was about to recommend Valley of the Kings. In most games that involve deck building it is preferable to keep your deck slim in order to have a good engine running and to mitigate the luck factor, but here it is even cruicial to victory, as only cards you "entomb" (set aside from your hand/deck) will in the end score you points -- meaning that you have to make the hard decision if you want to keep recycling the card through your deck that is currently in your hand or kick it out for later scoring. The box of the game is small, making it portable. The price of the game is low, making it effordable. The Egyptian theme is of course a matter of taste and not that thick, but I think they did a nice job in regard of entombing cards for your Egyptian afterlife.

I also really like 7 Wonders Duel. Plays fast, randomised setup with every game (actually 3 setups, different paths to victory, simple rules, language independent, overall just a great game. The way they pulled off "2-player" card drafting is interesting in my opinion. And don't worry: each setup for an era can be done very quickly. I usually finish a game after 20-30 minutes.

...wait, I just checked, you already own that game. x)

If you are interested in increasing the complexity of your games, I can recommend The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and Arkham Horror: The Card Game -- although you don't seem to enjoy co-operative games too much ? In this case, how about Android: Netrunner ? But again, these games have a steep learning curve, but also a rewarding depth that players can explore over countless plays.

EDIT

While I took a call and paused writing my post, Chris already summed it up very well:

Toc13 wrote:
Valley of the Kings would be my deck-builder of choice.
I like deck-builders that make you do something more than just play cards, buy a card. Dominion serves as a very good introduction to the genre but it is just an introduction.

With VotK, you have to make a choice about using the cards in your deck or removing them (Entombing) in order to score points with them.
It does have some follow-ups- Afterlife is also highly-recommended.
It also has a big advantage over Dominion with regards to shelf space. The box is no bigger than two packs of playing cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know how difficult this is to find now, but my wife and I really like Daxu a great deal. It's got a very interesting rock/paper/scissors type mechanism for dividing bundles of cards, but the really cool part is how it scores.

If you have too many more cards than your opponent of a type, you are penalized, so you have to get the right amount of cards, not just the most which gives the game a lot of tension.

I also thought the game Jolly & Roger was a fun I split/you choose game for two players only, which seems to be unique to that kind of game.

Both are extremely quick and make you want to play again right away.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever tried the classic, and still great, game of Cribbage?

This is one of my favorite games for 2 players, period, (not just as a 2 player card game).
Quick to play, and yet many different subtle strategies.
Works great for betting too.

If you wish to "fancy it up", buy a nice inlaid wood board, (I have a couple myself!)

The game also works well with 3 and 4 players.

My two cents worth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S
msg tools
Paperback (This is just a GREAT deckbuilder game, under appreciated in my opinion)
Fugitive
Century: Spice Road
Splendor
7 Wonders Duel (if you consider this a card game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Spruit
Netherlands
1025 RW Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Claim (White Goblin Games). Also an expansion coming up.
A nice trick taking game for 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mottainai
Dale of Merchants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Dale of Merchants or Dale of Merchants 2 if you leaning towards a deckbuilder. It is a deck building race game with fun anthropomorphic animal merchants. And the deck building mechanics are interesting in that you purchase cards into your hand rather than your discard pile and you retain unused cards for your next turn.

Since you like both Lost Cities and Battle Line, perhaps Scarab Lords, another Knizia title, would interest you. Like those games, it is a tight area control battle. But with fantastical Egyptian mythology! And powers! And curses! Also, there is a deck construction element if you choose to play best of three games; you can replace a few cards in your hand from a small pool of cards and duke it out again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:

Mottainai is very good at 2P.

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Begin
United States
Reno
NV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic: The Gathering
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgocrazy wrote:

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you like Battle Line check out Four Tribes

Isle of Trains

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I AM DEAN
msg tools
I own/have owned all the ones you have named. I'd also suggest

Dead Man's Draw
Port Royal
Oh My Goods! with the expansion
Karmaka
Coloretto
Control
Arboretum
Parade
Biblios

Hero realms and star realms are basically the same game. Both are fun, just go with the theme you prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms
Hero Realms
Legendary: Marvel (or Buffy)
Legendary Encounters: Alien
Lord of the Rings: the card game
Android Netrunner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charmed One
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The gorgeous Seasons has tons of replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lai Tang
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I recommend A Few Acres of Snow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave316 wrote:
Hero Realms. Just not 100% sold on them

I'd recommend Star Realms over Hero Realms. The game is more reasonable, and the swings are less prominent. It's also got more expansions out that add more of the same, where Hero Realm's expansions add more game modes that, IMO, aren't that great (or totally bad). So if you end up liking it you can more safely invest.
You might want to pick up Star Realms: Colony Wars, which seemed more balanced and refined to me, although quicker.

If you don't want direct conflict, Ascension: Deckbuilding Game is great with two players. Mystic Vale is more expensive but is also a great two player "deckbuilding" game.

If you're not afraid to spend a ton of money, and want a co-op game, Arkham Horror: The Card Game is great and it's a good time to hop in (not too many expansions yet).

Otherwise, Aeon's End is a great, highly replayable co-operative deckbuilder without deck shuffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wohlwend
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Pixel Tactics quit a lot. There more versions of it now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave316 wrote:

You can all check my collection out to see what else I already have. Thanks all, look forward to hearing what you all recommend

You got allready quiet a collection. I'd recommend Hero Realms with the character-packs. I love Star Realms and Hero Realms, but I guess high replayability comes with the heroes.
To Dominion: you rated Intrigue with 8.5, so the question might be: why did it get boring? Additional boxes (Prosperity, Adventure, Seaside, ...) give you a big variance and thus IMO replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
Sp1r0u wrote:
Dave316 wrote:

You got allready quiet a collection. I'd recommend Hero Realms with the character-packs. I love Star Realms and Hero Realms, but I guess high replayability comes with the heroes.
To Dominion: you rated Intrigue with 8.5, so the question might be: why did it get boring? Additional boxes (Prosperity, Adventure, Seaside, ...) give you a big variance and thus IMO replayability.

Hmm, I really need to update my rating there. Still a great game of course, but I guess I found Dominion to (personally) not quite do it for me after playing it a lot. I'm not exactly sure why but it could be because maybe I'm after more of a "defeat your opponents health" rather than "grab the points" deck builder, hence why I'm thinking of Hero Realms. I am quite enjoying Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle at the moment though, which is of course entirely cooperative against the villains.

Some great recommendations so far, I am now of course thinking of picking up multiple games keep 'em coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.