Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Maybe I need to read the rules more closely, but the game I've played belongs to another person.

Can a large company buy or take in a blue or red train and run it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A large company may buy and own any size train, but it may only run large (green) trains. In addition, like any other size company, it must own at least one train it would be able to run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Leifr wrote:
Hi,

Maybe I need to read the rules more closely, but the game I've played belongs to another person.

Can a large company buy or take in a blue or red train and run it?

Another Important rule is that the only time you can upgrade a red or blue train to a green train (or a red train to a blue train) is when you acquire a company. You cannot buy the train from the other company and upgrade it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the only point of buying a lesser train is to be able to sell it to a smaller company that you control that can run it.

Is this an economically viable strategy? What does the smaller company have to spend to buy the train?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Leifr wrote:
So the only point of buying a lesser train is to be able to sell it to a smaller company that you control that can run it.

Is this an economically viable strategy? What does the smaller company have to spend to buy the train?

I'm hardly an expert on the game, having only played it a few times, but it seems pretty viable to me. by just paying out every round with your small/medium companies you generate enough money in hand to start a large company, which then uses the money to buy trains for the small and/or medium company.

You can then start holding with the smaller companies, then merge them in when you need to buy a permanent train for the large company. That is the strategy I've used my last two games anyway as it seems like you always want to be paying out with the large companies since they move forward 2 spaces when they pay out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Leifr wrote:

I'm hardly an expert on the game, having only played it a few times, but it seems pretty viable to me. by just paying out every round with your small/medium companies you generate enough money in hand to start a large company, which then uses the money to buy trains for the small and/or medium company.

You can then start holding with the smaller companies, then merge them in when you need to buy a permanent train for the large company. That is the strategy I've used my last two games anyway as it seems like you always want to be paying out with the large companies since they move forward 2 spaces when they pay out.

This sounds like a good strategy. I'll have to see how many times I get to play this particular game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.