Wim Magermans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
I just bought the Allies of the old west expansion (which looks like it is going to be a lot of fun!).

I was wondering if FFP wrote somewhere if you are able to buy the gear items in town? As some of the (like the Forgesmith's hammer) seems to really enhance the allies. Getting these gear cards through a random draw can take a long time to use the for an allie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kindertuin wrote:
I just bought the Allies of the old west expansion (which looks like it is going to be a lot of fun!).

I was wondering if FFP wrote somewhere if you are able to buy the gear items in town? As some of the (like the Forgesmith's hammer) seems to really enhance the allies. Getting these gear cards through a random draw can take a long time to use the for an allie...

Since my Gear deck is 10 cm high I mix any new cards into the top twenty so they come out sooner. Alternatively, make a particular Gear card like the Hsmmer the reward for an adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Magermans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
The thing is that I don't like to make up my own rules, as it feels to me that I change things in my own benefit (and so making the game easier).

Oh well, I have to get lucky then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Jelley wrote:
Since my Gear deck is 10 cm high I mix any new cards into the top twenty so they come out sooner. (...)

I do something similar with most of the new cards. Just to, indeed, see the new stuff sooner rather then only at the end of the deck. Imagine you just reshuffled the deck because it was depleted (I keep the discarded cards "seperate" from the deck to draw from so that I only need to shuffle when I cycled through the whole deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Allen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Kindertuin wrote:
The thing is that I don't like to make up my own rules, as it feels to me that I change things in my own benefit (and so making the game easier).

Brimstone was designed for making up your own rules. They even give you a bunch of extra tokens like the boat and stagecoach to help inspire you.

By the way, I'm really looking forward to playing the Rivers of Jargono mission someone made up. It looks like it will be a lot of fun.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/131689/two-new-missions-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kindertuin wrote:

I don't like making up my own rules either. My own content, however ...

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
Kindertuin wrote:

- Jee

That can be a blurry line sometimes, don't you agree ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
Inspector Jee wrote:
Kindertuin wrote:

- Jee

That can be a blurry line sometimes, don't you agree ?

Sometimes, yes. One must be extremely careful. However, "stacking the deck when you feel like it" is clearly on one side of that line.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bloom
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have run into a similar issue before where someone in my posse really wants a specific artifact. So what I tend to do is, at some point during an trip into the mines, after the Epic threat is defeated and rewards are being handed out, I will roll a d6. On a 6, the character finds a piece of paper or a book that gives a location for the artifact. Whenever the group wants to go looking for it, I just do a custom mission where they have to find 3 clue tokens (and go to a specific otherworld if the artifact is from an otherworld deck) and at each clue token they have to fight an epic threat. It can get really hairy sometimes, but the sense of accomplishment when they finally get the artifact is usually pretty great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My solution to the endless gear deck of awesome is that I just don't shuffle it often.

That way you work your way through the deck in a few games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoxe
msg tools
I've had worse.
badge
It's just a flesh wound.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearttousai wrote:
I have run into a similar issue before where someone in my posse really wants a specific artifact. So what I tend to do is, at some point during an trip into the mines, after the Epic threat is defeated and rewards are being handed out, I will roll a d6. On a 6, the character finds a piece of paper or a book that gives a location for the artifact. Whenever the group wants to go looking for it, I just do a custom mission where they have to find 3 clue tokens (and go to a specific otherworld if the artifact is from an otherworld deck) and at each clue token they have to fight an epic threat. It can get really hairy sometimes, but the sense of accomplishment when they finally get the artifact is usually pretty great.

I really like this. We use the same 3-clue mechanic for monster hunting (our party styles themselves as bounty hunters). So, when we want to try a new boss that I've brought off the painting bench, the Epic threat is the new baddie. We "heard in town" that there's a big baddie that we should go check out.

But I hadn't thought of using it as a treasure hunt, and the d6 mechanic makes it more elusive yet.

Have you ever had the mission fail? What do you do then? With the emotional attachment, that could be a harsh way to end the night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bloom
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have done it 4 times. Of those 4 we have succeeded twice. One of the failures it was on the last Epic and it came down to the wire, but we were just too depleted going into the last room. Losing on that one didn't bother anyone. We had a great time and it was such a close fight that everyone was still in high spirits. The only time we feel truly dejected was when our one trip took us to Trederra. We lost on the first Epic because a patrol showed up mid fight, and then we had some bad Hold Back rolls and we just never recovered. That one left everyone in a bad mood. I'm kinda glad it happened though, because it seemed somewhat balanced that way. If we just got whatever artifact we wanted every time, it wouldn't feel as special.

As for failing, I tend not to have a penalty, just because the posse is actively looking for the artifact. I tend to look at the mission as more of a trial and less of a threat to be contained. I guess it is only fair to have a penalty, considering they are getting a specific artifact for succeeding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reece
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Kirk - I really like you idea and will certainly be adding it
to our campaign!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.