Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Cuba» Forums » General

Subject: Is box shrink-wrapped when new? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken B
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a silly little question. I knew nothing about the game, but picked it up because my local Half Price Books had a copy for $40 (and they're currently running a 20% off sale).

I'm not sure if this is one I'll like or not. But, stupidly, I didn't ask what I was buying, so I don't know if this is new or used. shake There's no shrink wrap, but the box is "taped" closed with round, clear, colorless stickers. Every game I've bought new this year (my first year in board gaming) has come in shrink, but then again, they are all newer than 2007 (except Castles of Burgundy). One was a Rio Grade Games game, and it's still in shrink.

If it's used, then I'll break the seals and give it a try. If it's new, I might be better off leaving them intact until I've had a chance to try it somewhere, and decide if it's for me or not.j

Ken
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You have lost me. You bought it thinking it was used and assuming you are right you will open it and play it. However if it's new you won't open it and will keep it until you play someone else's copy.

You bought it not knowing if you'll like it. Surely if you bought the game it was with the intention to play it to find out?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TooOld4Games2 wrote:
This is a silly little question. I knew nothing about the game, but picked it up because my local Half Price Books had a copy for $40 (and they're currently running a 20% off sale).

I'm not sure if this is one I'll like or not. But, stupidly, I didn't ask what I was buying, so I don't know if this is new or used. shake There's no shrink wrap, but the box is "taped" closed with round, clear, colorless stickers. Every game I've bought new this year (my first year in board gaming) has come in shrink, but then again, they are all newer than 2007 (except Castles of Burgundy). One was a Rio Grade Games game, and it's still in shrink.

If it's used, then I'll break the seals and give it a try. If it's new, I might be better off leaving them intact until I've had a chance to try it somewhere, and decide if it's for me or not.j

Ken


Well, I can't answer the shrink-wrap question (the one I played was bought used). But I say break that puppy open and go for it. It's a massively underrated game and definitely a contender for my all time number one favorite game (especially when you throw in El Presidente, if you can find it). Right up there with classic goodness (well, MODERN clasics) like Tigris & Euphrates and Steam (both of which are snaggable as Android apps, btw).

Welcome back to gaming!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick, you don't sound lost at all, that was exactly correct. Crazy thinking, yes, but that's me. If it is new, then opening and punching it reduces its value. Which is fine if I like the game, but a loss if not. If it's used, then I've nothing to lose by opening and trying it. If I didn't have a couple of dozen other games waiting to be played, then sure it's probably only $10 or so difference, just go for it.

Klaus, I bought Steam last month (the PC version -- ha, on Steam), have played it a couple of times, and love it. But I'm still not sure Cuba is one for me (or I should say 'us', since my wife is a lot pickier than I am when it comes to games). I'll definitely think about it.

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fwiw, when i bought this game it was shrinkwrapped. Yours sounds like a used copy, although the tiles could still be unpunched. Maybe someone read the rules and decided it was not for them.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Connor. Assuming you bought a Rio Grande Games version, that seems to be a definitive answer to my question. On the "to play" pile it goes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurie Harris
United States
Lake Stevens
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
I’m glad you decided to try a playthru! We bought this game in shrink from a FLGS 50% off a few months ago and it is now one of our favourite games! It’s on Rahdo’s list to run thru, just needs a few more thumbs to get it to vote status. I even made minis out of Sculpty polymer clay to replace the cylinders and used some other pieces from top shelf gamer...and printed mini labels for the cigar boxes and rum bottles.

I’m going to add you as a geek buddy if you don’t mind...we have similar tastes and are members of the same 2 guilds! . Once you play Cuba, let me know what you think! We just got the expansion for Christmas.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conner Morlang
United States
Santa Monica / Westwood
California
flag msg tools
Go outside and play (games)!
badge
Me 10 years ago. Should I update?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PlowStr8 wrote:
It's a massively underrated game and definitely a contender for my all time number one favorite game.


I want to play it! I wonder if anyone has it anymore.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Khanheir wrote:
PlowStr8 wrote:
It's a massively underrated game and definitely a contender for my all time number one favorite game.


I want to play it! I wonder if anyone has it anymore.


You mean for sale? Or to play with?

I no longer own a copy, but Claude just won it recently on eBay (the El Presidente expansion too). He's a regular at the Comic Bug/Game Hub meetup group on Sundays.

http://meetu.ps/c/2Jf3W/zj83Q/d
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conner Morlang
United States
Santa Monica / Westwood
California
flag msg tools
Go outside and play (games)!
badge
Me 10 years ago. Should I update?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip, Klaus. I'll have to make it down there for a play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.