Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Stone
United States
Dallas
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For some games that have received new editions, reimplementations, or had some pretty serious changes made by someone other than the 1st edition designer. I think it is a shame that these designers and developers (full disclosure, myself included) do not get any credit here.

Admittedly, many games would not have any additional credit to give for this role, but the games where it would apply it is well deserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
I have suggested this before. I believe this to be as important as listing the designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nearly always wargamers who are interested in developers, because they are far more important for historical simulations than is the case with other genres. Eurogamers are the primary audience here on BGG, and developers have far less importance in the production of Euros. I doubt you'll see it added any time soon; I doubt you could even discover who the developer was for half the games in the database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Sphere wrote:
Eurogamers are the primary audience here on BGG,...

Can't say that I agree with anything else you wrote!

Next time we're at the same convention, I'll introduce you to a bunch of non-wargame developers (including me). It would be nice if my personal contributions were easier to find than looking in a whole bunch of printed rule books... but it's not a huge deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguins Performance Project feat.
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Some previous discussion:

Link Game Developers on BGG Game Page
Isn't it high time we introduced a Developer credit on this website?
Developer Credits
Add Developer to game listing credit

Credited or uncredited developers are already listed on BGG for some games. I've submitted corrections to add developers as designers and had that rejected, then submitted corrections to remove credit from other developers for consistency and had that rejected as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chaz wrote:
Sphere wrote:
Eurogamers are the primary audience here on BGG,...

Can't say that I agree with anything else you wrote!

Next time we're at the same convention, I'll introduce you to a bunch of non-wargame developers (including me). It would be nice if my personal contributions were easier to find than looking in a whole bunch of printed rule books... but it's not a huge deal.

I didn't suggest that developers in other genres would undervalue their own contributions.

[edit] To venture beyond glibness, let me add that I think think there's a perfectly logical reason why developers of wargames take on added responsibility. All good game development includes playtesting etc. to insure that the end result functions well as a game. Historical simulations require extensive research as well; convincing grognards that the events portrayed are historically accurate (or reasonably possible) is an added layer that doesn't come into play when creating a game about medieval bean farming.

With simulations, dotting the i's and crossing the t's for the ludic aspects often falls to the developer, while the designer is more often immersed in the historical elements. There are wargame designers who do both, but I think it's far more common for a Eurogame designer to oversee their own game's development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.