Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to.make washe recepies but don't understand ratios..how do you measure 1 part this and 6 part that? What method do you use? Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an aside, do I have to make washes before panting. Can they be done on the fly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ward
United Kingdom
Old Woking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To measure the amounts a dropper bottle or syringe is useful. However, most ratios given are general guides and it's best to use them as a starting point then modify the results based on your needs at the time.

Making a batch of wash ahead of time is a good idea both economically and consistency wise but there's nothing to stop you mixing some up as you go.

Also, of course, there are many commercially available washes which you can buy in order to by-pass the whole process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Household disposable plastic drinking straws can be used as droppers. Stick one in the paint and hold your thumb over the (dry) end and release the number of drops you need. One for water can be reused of course, but the ones dipped in paint can be trimmed with scissors to expose the unused portion until one last trim leaves it too short.

Mix in a 3 ounce disposable plastic cup and cleanup is just putting it all in the garbage bin.

For very small amounts, even toothpicks can be used to drip liquid off the tip at a controlled rate (with a bit of practice.)

And it's very simple math to see that 3 drops of one thing and 18 drops of another gives the 1 part to 6 part ratio. You'll probably be wanting a measuring vessel instead of counting many more drops. 5 cc to 30 cc, for example. The same result is obtained by measuring the 5 cc of paint and then filling it up to a total mix of 35 cc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So 5cc pigment 30cc water. What about medium? I have pleage. I was thinking magic wash. Thank you for responding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pledge (what used to be Future) may be diluted to a similar ratio. For a wash, you want a thin, free flowing mix. It would be a good idea to add what looks like too little pigment at first. It's easier to add another coat than to take one away. It could also be as simple as having a small cup of the Pledge mix (or even try just water) and a disposable foam plate (a.k.a. a palette) on which you pour a small puddle of paint. Dip your brush lightly in the paint and then the thinning solution, swirl a bit, and apply to the piece. Have paper towels and/or cotton swabs handy to dab up unwanted pools formed by gravity.

https://www.brookhursthobbies.com/paintingclinic/clinic/gues...

Try to find some odds and ends of similar materials to practice any step of the process, including how hard it is to clean and start over. And modify any or all of it as you discover what works for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome article. This is good stuff. How do I measure 1 part this to 6 part of that?
Not when mixing paints in palette. That's just droplets drops. But when mixing stock as the article proposes?
Do you guy use any consistent measurement method?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are all manner of measuring cups for cooking, medicine, chemistry ...

You just need them to be dedicated to only painting once used.

Or use disposables ... which can be readily washed well enough for the next painting session.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1231&bih=602&ei=wVBIWrfoBM...

In browsing I was reminded that milliliters (ml) equal cc for our purposes. But it could just as easily be 1 thimble to 6 thimbles or 2 shot glasses to 12 shot glasses. And it's nowhere near as critical as baking a cake or prescribing a child sized medicine dosage. You can be as consistent as you wish, but it's not usually that big a deal to inadvertently get 1:5 or 1:7. You may even prefer your mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much.

One last question...what are the empty bottles called with the drip applicator. Like Vallejo bottles. When I Google I get nail polish bottles.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Medicine droppers. Some down in the second group of images as I scroll don't screw into a bottle, but have volume measurement indications. Those I'd be pretty diligent about cleaning before paint or whatever dries.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=i2RIWp6ECMeQmQHVg...

(Oops. I see Vallejo style is not the same thing. But a drop's a drop. Keep notes for each mix, and make larger quantities when you have a formula that you're happy with.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=3WtIWqTPKMTWmAHsh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've all been a great help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.