G Selwood
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

I’m looking for coop games that are both simple, but exciting. Theme matters!

This is for a family with a very bright, but easily distracted 8 year old. He loves the pokemon TCG, but we’re hoping to broaden his interests with some family coop.

Any which might also be able to include a 6 year old (with support) get bonus points!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My (just turned) 8 year old daughter has been playing (and enjoying) the following over the last six to eight months:

Pandemic
Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle
Legendary A Marvel Deck Building Game
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabi Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Maze perhaps?
Or Escape: The Curse of the Temple?

Your post does not indicate a specific reason for the distraction; these games may cause sensory overload.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
We're fans of Mole Rats in Space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it really need to be a coop game?

With distractable children, er, adults (: I've found party games the game to play. If someone has to drop out or doesn't pay attention, the game play is typically not disrupted. Wits and Wagers Family is also well suited for younger children. And adults!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a job for Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Hester

Arkansas
msg tools
Hi, I’m terribly sorry for hijacking this thread, but I have almost tbe exact same query. Although my 8yo isn’t easily distracted, her 10yo sister is just ruthlessly cunning and quite vicious when it comes to board games. We’re just starting to play games as a family and I bought them a bunch for Christmas. Castle Panic, Forbidden Island, Exploding Kittens, and Bears vs Babies were huge hits. Dixit, Love Letters, and Sushi Go were not. Dixit is too nuanced for the 8yo, LL is only fun for them with a larger group, and Sushi Go confused them both. So what other games would you recommend? 8yo has zero bluffing ability and 10yo can be a bit of a control freak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic seems to be what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Seconding Castle Panic - it's maybe a bit too simple for just adults after a few plays, but should be good for your 6 to 8 year old audience. The turns are very fast, and there are expansions to make it more challenging if your kids master the basic version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan
Russia
Ekaterinburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Ralya wrote:
We're fans of Mole Rats in Space.

I find this more exciting and engaging than Ghost Fightin’Treasure Hunters as the latter can drag, same with Harry Potter whereas Mole Rats is timed by the draw pile i.e. game ends when deck runs out. We have enjoyed Mmm! a shorter play time co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
Kalyvia/Lagonissi
Attika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bright easily distracted 8 year old, too. I tried Mice and Mystics, Takenoko, Mysterium, Forbidden Island, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Evolution (the beginnning), Jaipur, Catan and Dixit, etc. The only game she'll happily play is Love Letter (The Hobbit version, preferably). My recommendation is not to push them at all; better to wait until they get interested on their own. Or else they'll just equate gaming to mom and dad making them do something other than what they really want to do (i.e. play Mine craft on the tablet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravenclaw221B wrote:
Hi, I’m terribly sorry for hijacking this thread, but I have almost tbe exact same query. Although my 8yo isn’t easily distracted, her 10yo sister is just ruthlessly cunning and quite vicious when it comes to board games. We’re just starting to play games as a family and I bought them a bunch for Christmas. Castle Panic, Forbidden Island, Exploding Kittens, and Bears vs Babies were huge hits. Dixit, Love Letters, and Sushi Go were not. Dixit is too nuanced for the 8yo, LL is only fun for them with a larger group, and Sushi Go confused them both. So what other games would you recommend? 8yo has zero bluffing ability and 10yo can be a bit of a control freak.

Even though the questions are very similar, it would probably be best to start a separate thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Day West Games
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
publisher
If you get a chance, check out Flick 'em Up by Pretzel Games. Its a dexterity game for 2-10 players (if you form teams). Basic premise is one side are cowboys and the other are outlaws and there are different goals in order to win the game. The main mechanic is flicking a disc on a table to move your cowboy / outlaw around and also flicking a token to represent shooting. A lot of fun, really nice wooden pieces and the best thing is there are tons of scenarios to set the town up and different objectives for each.

Should do a great job of entertaining little ones for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Franks
msg tools
My kiddo enjoys Castle Panic & Forbidden Island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.