Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played Quarriors, I had mixed reactions to it. Of course, the person who was showing us how to play had several expansions, so we were subjected to learning about cursed dice and locking dice along with the basic rules, and it all seemed a bit much at the time. Thanks to his repeated description of the game a ‘Dominion with Dice’, I was able to see the flow of the game a bit easier, and realized that the game was not all that difficult to begin with. But at that time I had a really negative view towards ANY game that had dice rolling as a mechanic. About a year later (2014), I actually went out and bought the base game as a celebration of getting over my six-sided fears. After 3 years and 17 plays, I figured that it’s time to record my thoughts.

The good:
- Once you’re familiar with the game, turns go by very quickly. Even with 4 players, there’s not a lot of wait time between turns because new attacks come pretty frequently.
- Cards are placed alongside the sets of dice in the wilderness (a fancy name for the marketplace) that give pertinent info for that dice set (cost, glory points, special abilities, etc.). Each dice set has several different cards representing different levels of that particular character. Only one card is chosen (randomly or selected) for each dice set during a game.
- Like deck-building, the ‘dice-building’ mechanic encourages keeping your pool of dice trimmed of weaker dice, which is an interesting mechanic.
- Game length has usually been under a half-hour, so it makes a decent filler.

The bad
- The base game rules state that you can only purchase one die per turn, which means that you’ll usually choose the best die that you can afford on any given turn.
- One particular creature is so overpowered in this game that a common house rule is that you must cull this die (return it to the wilderness) after scoring. Other dice don’t have that requirement.
- Expansions have addressed both of the above issues, and I suggest using the expansion rules for those issues when playing even the base game. To my knowledge, the base game rules have not been amended to include them.
- Though the game length is appropriate for a filler with this level of luck, it seems that the game always ends too early (and the dice pool I have is still a work-in-progress).
- It’s very inconvenient when you roll dice and constantly have to refer to it’s information card in the wilderness to see what its special effects do.

The ugly
- There is a playmat available on the back of the instructions that can be copied. Though not an absolute necessity, it would have been nice for them to include four pre-printed playmats in the game. The original tin cube may have been the reason this was not done.
- The scoring track is a woeful little square with four wooden cubes as markers. The numbers ascend in a zig-zag pattern and the markings for the winning score for each player count (12 for 4 players, 15 for 3 players, and 20 for two players) make this a very ugly square.
- The four dice bags are a bit on the smallish side for adult hands.
- While the tiny numbers on most of the dice are fairly easy to read, I have to look up some of them on the information cards. More stringent quality control efforts are needed.

Final thoughts
Make no doubt about it, I DO like Quarriors. But if my game collection was lost in a fire or flood, it’s not a game I would bother replacing. It’s fine for an occasional diversion as a quick filler, but there are already so many other games that fit that role that are much more fun than this. And some people in my gaming circle don’t share my enthusiasm.
The concept of a dice building game is a good one. It takes the deck-building mechanic and adds a randomness factor by the different faces of the dice. It works pretty well overall, but there’s lots of room for improvement (such as the rule changes mentioned earlier). WizKids has since re-implemented this game with the ‘Dice Masters’ series of products, a ‘collectible’ dice game not compatible with Quarriors.
If you are thinking about trying out the ‘dice-building’ genre, my advice would be to pass on Quarriors and perhaps try Dice Masters instead. I’ve never played them, but it’s a cheaper buy-in and much more popular. And you won't have to begin every word with 'Q'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disagree. Try Quarriors instead of Dice Masters and you'll still be able to put food on your table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^In the past two years, I've spent roughly $100 net on Dice Masters and own just about everything besides the super rares. And still I eat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoSoup4you wrote:
^In the past two years, I've spent roughly $100 net on Dice Masters and own just about everything besides the super rares. And still I eat.

I find that figure to be very difficult to believe when you consider how much it costs to purchase a gravity feed is $67 and I think 2 or 3 of those are released each year. My math takes that beyond $100 and that's if you are fortunate enough to get enough dice and cards to make trades for any rares you might be unfortunate and not get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoSoup4you wrote:

How is that possible? There are at least 4 sets released per year, and it takes 2 or 3 gravity feeds to get 80% of each set. One set for $100 would be almost impossible, let alone 8+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.