Popular Tags: [View All]
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several natural times to take more tickets:

Right at the start, either on your first turn, or after a few critical moves such as claiming a route you need or gathering the color for the 6-long you will build.

In the mid-game when you have done most of your connection work and aren't likely to be blocked from anything else.

Near the end, when you have connected all your cities and are looking for more points. (This is often a third set.)

So, when do you take them?

I usually take a second set early if I don't have a definite route. For most east-west routes (LA-Miami and Vancouver-Montreal excepted), there are multiple reasonable paths. If I get a subsequent ticket with Chicago or Nashville, I can get there more efficiently if I haven't already chosen my track. This also helps with longest continuous route.

Most often, I take the tickets on my first turn, with the exceptions indicated: if I plan to build LA-El Paso, I will take black cards if they are face up, and take my first set of tickets when there are no blacks.

The downside of taking early is that you will be a turn behind in building your routes, but I don't find that delay too costly, particularly since I can plan more efficient routes and thus can spare extra track if needed (getting to NY via Washington or Montreal if the Pittsburgh route is blocked).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Usually when I'm mostly done w/ my current tickets. If I have a good enough infrastructure built, and depending upon the map, I frequently take a set as the last thing as well, unless I have a specific route I'm trying to, and can, finish off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly take more tickets when I am done, or nearly so, with my first batch. Very occasionally I will take more right at the start if I don't see a clear path form the first batch.

My SO tends to take them mid game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
I mostly take more tickets when I am done, or nearly so, with my first batch. Very occasionally I will take more right at the start if I don't see a clear path form the first batch.

Who wins more often? you or the SO?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
GregDarcy wrote:

Who wins more often? you or the SO?

It depends on the map.
Generally me. But kiss has a significant lead with Europe ( usually Big Cities from the Europa expansion) and Märklin. We are line ball on a couple of others.

The other thing she does is draw a lot of tickets right at the end. Sometimes it pays off sometimes it doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't, typically at least.
I've got play data for a little over 50 plays at the full range of players. I lost more than half the two player games but did better than "expected" at the other play counts. A lot of the multi-opponent games will have had new players so the results are a bit biased but I think my online play had a better than average rating back when I played there as well.

I tend to just complete the two tickets I keep at game start and then claim big connections, hoping to join the tracks to get the longest route bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Soares de Lima
Brazil
flag msg tools
That's why I like the 1910 expansion. To take more tickets become a better and viable action when using some modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on the map and the number of players you have. What you can get away with in a 3 player game is different then what you can get away with in a 5 player game, etc.

Generally, if I"m on my last ticket and i only have one final route to complete (especially if it's a long route) and am confidant that my opponents are not going to take the route, then i will draw a new set of destinations to work on while I wait for the 'right' color to arrive. The exception to this is the 'bridge' route that you need to complete because all your tickets run through that point.

A lot of if depends on your map position, how well you know your opponents, and how many destinations they are drawing as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be neat if the digital TtR had custom AIs too that effect.... One risks big for Tickets knowing outta for a decent network set up. Another does but routes sheer dividing up the minimum Tickets.

I was sort of ableto do this in IRL games when i had regular game groups and knew many of the others' party styles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avron wrote:
I don't, typically at least.
I've got play data for a little over 50 plays at the full range of players. I lost more than half the two player games but did better than "expected" at the other play counts. A lot of the multi-opponent games will have had new players so the results are a bit biased but I think my online play had a better than average rating back when I played there as well.

I tend to just complete the two tickets I keep at game start and then claim big connections, hoping to join the tracks to get the longest route bonus.

I did this one time (only) and won. Not that I haven't won otherwise, but just agreeing that this is totally viable. It was late into the game and it just seemed risky to take more routes, so I went for longest route, took a bit longer route for ones not quite finished yet, and just generally added more points. Of course, how things were set up, and the fact that one of my routes ended in an area with several double wild routes, made this seem like a better choice. That longest route won me the game. (Of course, no one thing wins you a game; it just feels that way.)

But normally I would say I take new routes a bit before I'm finishing up current ones, if I feel comfortable I can get them. I don't like making it obvious when I'm done with my routes - no one I play with has those routes memorized.

I've never tried taking more at the beginning of the game. I should try that some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.