Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Glazier
United States
Brentwood (not the OJ one)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I REALLY made a point to read very carefully, but completely missed this one teeny, but immensely important rule.

I was sticking the first three cards in the rule spaces on page 2, instead of page 6 as instructed. Yikes! Game ruined and I haven't even begun to play. Good thing I bought the recharge pack too.

So, I had to use the first three cards of the recharge pack so I could stick them in the proper place in the story section on page 6.

Don't be me. Don't make this mistake. You will ruin a $60 game.

This game is brutally precise. One mistake and the game is hosed.

So, I guess I need to buy another recharge pack to replace the first three cards. Sigh.

The game seems awesomely cool, though. So, it's got that going for it . . . which is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
Australia
Ellen Grove
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be fine. Just remember those 3 cards you took out. If they were just story or rules your recharge is still usable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you're right. They were the first story cards, explaining how to set up the game. So, this should be easily remembered in future games. But still, it really bummed me out. My OCD went bonkers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jglazier wrote:
I REALLY made a point to read very carefully, but completely missed this one teeny, but immensely important rule.

I was sticking the first three cards in the rule spaces on page 2, instead of page 6 as instructed. Yikes! Game ruined and I haven't even begun to play. Good thing I bought the recharge pack too.

So, I had to use the first three cards of the recharge pack so I could stick them in the proper place in the story section on page 6.

So, I guess I need to buy another recharge pack to replace the first three cards. Sigh.

The game seems awesomely cool, though. So, it's got that going for it . . . which is nice.

I caught this in my initial play, just in the nick of time. Can't remember why - but I think it was the numbering that didn't make sense if I stuck it in the 'rules.' Then, turning the pages I realized, "Oh, there is a rules section and a story section." So, I was fortunately saved from the same mistake. I do think a few initial explanations or warnings could help save us from ourselves! It has quite literally taken 2 or 3 of the members of our group watching Rodney and carefully examining the Chronicle to see how the game systems work. Perhaps this could be addressed in the FAQ Jamie is developing, or perhaps another careful step-by-step process could be made available for beginning players. Charterstone, IMO, is not like ANY game I've ever played. It is totally unique - and I've been an avid gamer for over 70 years (yes, I'm ancient)! I say that as a compliment to Jamie and Stonemaier for breaking new ground.
The unique presentation of the rules has both excited me and exposed the degradation of my approach to rules-reading over the past years (by playing so many similar rules-sets that do not require such precision in both reading, comprehension, and implementation). Not since my first Avalon Hill game (D-Day, in 1961) have I seen a game system so divergent from the norm - and that short rule-set threw me for a loop! This one, like-wise, is a trail-blazer, breaking new ground, at least for the kinds of games I've played in my long gaming history, by the presentation of the rules.
So - perhaps more could be added to the front page of the Chronicle (in future editions) to give players a better overview of how things work without spoiling anything. Not certain - but at the very least, 1) a warning about the two different Rules and Story sections and 2) that the rules and story cards will (may?) not come out in numeric order. For example, in our first game we did not see several of the earlier rules, yet some of the later numbered rules have already been revealed and pasted in the book! These types of things might help us better understand this pioneer game.
This is only a suggestion - am sure the designer/developer knows far more than me about what he is trying to achieve, and how it should be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
jglazier wrote:
Yeah, you're right. They were the first story cards, explaining how to set up the game. So, this should be easily remembered in future games. But still, it really bummed me out. My OCD went bonkers!

You have my sympathy on that front.

Since it's only a few cards, maybe Stonemaeir would let you replace them. Worth a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely, if anyone makes a mistake like this, please fill out the replacement parts form instead of opening the recharge pack. There are visible spoilers as you open the recharge pack, as it's not meant to be opened until after you finish the campaign. Jeff, I appreciate the PSA, and if you fill out the replacement parts form with what you need, we can help you: http://stonemaiergames.com/replacement-parts/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
W:5 - L:5
badge
G o H a w k s !
mbmbmbmbmb
jglazier wrote:

This game is brutally precise.

If it's any consolation, I made the exact same mistake. Same 3 stickers in the same 3 Rule spots instead of the Story spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Harrelson wrote:
jglazier wrote:

This game is brutally precise.

If it's any consolation, I made the exact same mistake. Same 3 stickers in the same 3 Rule spots instead of the Story spots.

We did it tonight, too! My buddy (we were using his Chronicle) replied that his natural tendency was to put those 3 cards at the beginning of the Chronicle because we were just starting play, not the back of the booklet (Page 6 is clearly mentioned, nonetheless).

We didn't even notice the color bar discrepancy (tan/rules, gry/story) until afterwards.

Too funny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunno about working on the rulebook, but a pair of fine tweezers can peel a sticker off of the board (advice also valid for Pandemic Legacy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jglazier wrote:

I did exactly the same thing. Even though the first card says (page 6) on it, I just missed it. Not the game fault, but it is easy to confuse at first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Absolutely, if anyone makes a mistake like this, please fill out the replacement parts form instead of opening the recharge pack. There are visible spoilers as you open the recharge pack, as it's not meant to be opened until after you finish the campaign. Jeff, I appreciate the PSA, and if you fill out the replacement parts form with what you need, we can help you: http://stonemaiergames.com/replacement-parts/

Thank you very much, Jamey. I will fill out that replacement parts form right now.

I think for future versions, if you do any, it might be a good idea to somehow point out in a very obvious fashion that the first stickers that you are applying to your rulebook don't go on the first page of the rulebook, as common sense would dictate.

I know it says page 6, but that is in a tiny font on the card. It should be in bold face font on the first page of the rulebook, probably where is says to open the index and pull out card 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, Jeff! There's also the label on each card itself--like, in the rulebook there's a place that says "rule 1", and there's a separate place that says "story 1", and those labels align with labels on the cards themselves. But I understand the confusion and the frustration it created, and I'm sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Papa Bear
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my excitement to play, I did the same thing with the first 3 stickers. My solution is to put rules 1,2 and 3 in the first 3 story places. It will require some page flipping but will make for a funny story later when the kids and I play our completed and unique game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a clever solution, Michael.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow I did this exact same thing with only the first card and felt like a dunce. I was so bummed, I tried in vain to peel it off the page, I ended up shredding the sticker, so now I'm wondering how flat I'll be able to get rule 1 to stick over that space once I unlock it. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

I made the same mistake and instantly thought about asking for replacements. Waiting on confirmation, but I’m sure you are all busy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you submitted a replacement parts form, you should have gotten an autoreply right away. That's typically the only notification we send for replacement parts, though we are asking for people who request the first few cards and replacement Chronicle to cover the shipping/packaging cost by sending $5 via PayPal to stonemaiergames@gmail.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I just got an e-mail from Katy asking for the $5.00

I sent it right away, and thanked her for sending the replacement cards and manual. You folks are the best!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
If you submitted a replacement parts form, you should have gotten an autoreply right away. That's typically the only notification we send for replacement parts, though we are asking for people who request the first few cards and replacement Chronicle to cover the shipping/packaging cost by sending $5 via PayPal to stonemaiergames@gmail.com.

I haven’t received an email requesting shipping $, but I wasn’t asking for a new chronicle as well. Just the first 3 story cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Keith! It's easy (and cheap) to send just cards, so you won't get that e-mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also just noticed last night that my die has one blank face. It is missing the icon for the charter in the upper left of the game board.

I put in a request for a replacement die. Odd that just one face would not be printed.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jeff. While we prefer to consolidate replacement parts into one package, I understand that Charterstone's unlocking system doesn't always make that possible. We'll send you the die in a day or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Thanks Keith! It's easy (and cheap) to send just cards, so you won't get that e-mail.

Thank you Jamey! That’s great news. We are having a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Jamey. I really appreciate it. I certainly would have mentioned it in my first request had I noticed it. But, I had not used the die at the time, and didn't even think to make sure it had all faces printed correctly. I've never seen that before in game dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not exactly sure how the printing process works for the dice, but I'm guessing they're stamped on each side. So the stamping machine must have messed up on your die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.