Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Fog of Love» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions after opening up a new expansion. (content spoilers. possibly.) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
twitch.tv/zenxacred
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd play in, we finally opened up High School Sweethearts.

It has and extra destiny card and a some extra cards to sort into the new scenes as well as a special event.

Some Questions/Queries:

- The setup card has 3 cards that should be linked to the special event (so 4 cards total). I'm guessing, when putting the game away, those should be placed altogether in the "special events" section and NOT in the "High School Sweethearts" section?

- Speaking of extra cards, there are other cards that are to be sorted and shuffled into the 3 main decks when playing this scenario. I'm guessing I'm supposed to just leave those in the decks for future plays of the game and NOT sort them back out and put them back in the "High School Sweethearts" section?

In essence, the decks just get bigger and bigger. If yes, I'm also guessing that the same applies to the included Destinies.

- Also, one of the cards instructs on a match that we should look for another card in the serious deck. But what if that card had already been discarded or played? What if it's in one of the players' hands? Do we still grab the card and treat it like we found it in the deck?

Thanks. Just trying to get the rules down complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
1 - You can put them whereever you want, really. If you want all the "special events" together, then put them there. If you want all the events with the stories they are used in, then put them with the stories.

2 - I believe all of those are making reference to the
Spoiler (click to reveal)
wedding
possibility which is a big part of that particular love story. If you want that as a possibility in your game, you can leave it in your deck, otherwise take them out.

3 - If it's not in the deck, stop looking for it. It'll probably get played soon anyway.
I hope they say Yes for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenxacred wrote:
- The setup card has 3 cards that should be linked to the special event (so 4 cards total). I'm guessing, when putting the game away, those should be placed altogether in the "special events" section and NOT in the "High School Sweethearts" section?

The Rules book covers this a little on Page 9 under Special Events and Linked Scenes. But, yes, those cards should theoretically get filed together under Special Events, and you will get to choose at the start of each game if you want to play with them. That being said, if you decide that you always want to play with those cards, you can just file away the Wedding card under Special Event and keep the rest with their decks. (You should still keep the Wedding card separate, as it does not get shuffled into the deck until it’s triggered by another card.)

The only reasons I can see not to play with the Wedding and its linked cards in every game are:
* For some thematic reason, a player doesn’t want to play with the marriage theme.
* You’re playing with a newer player and/or a player less experienced with text-heavy games, and you want to focus on simpler cards.

Otherwise, I’d say just keep the linked cards shuffled into their respective decks, and keep the Wedding card under Special Events.

Spoilers for the I Know What I Want story:

This story has linked scenes related to pregnancy and a baby. Unlike the Wedding’s linked scenes, there are a few more reasons to keep this one separate and only shuffle it into specific games, as needed, particularly as it relates to the genders of the characters. The “A Baby!” card itself can be played by any mix of genders (cuz, y’know, adoptions and storks and stuff), but some of the other cards, such as “She’s Pregnant” cannot.

zenxacred wrote:
- Speaking of extra cards, there are other cards that are to be sorted and shuffled into the 3 main decks when playing this scenario. I'm guessing I'm supposed to just leave those in the decks for future plays of the game and NOT sort them back out and put them back in the "High School Sweethearts" section?

In essence, the decks just get bigger and bigger. If yes, I'm also guessing that the same applies to the included Destinies.

The Scene cards that come with the High School Sweethearts, We Give It A Year and I Know What I Want love stories should get shuffled into their respective decks for permanent play going forward. (Except for the Special Events and their linked scenes, as noted above.)

The Destinies are a little bit different. They get filed away with the other Destinies, but each story will tell you which Destinies to use. So, yes, the Destinies that came with High School Sweethearts will get used with other stories, but not necessarily every story. Each story’s Synopsis card should tell you which Destinies to use.

(And, because it will come up, there are Scene cards that tell you to draw or discard Destinies that may not be in your current story. In these cases, you just ignore that part of the card. Page 10 of the rules: “Ignore effect that refer to DESTINIES that aren’t included in the Love Story you play.”)

zenxacred wrote:
- Also, one of the cards instructs on a match that we should look for another card in the serious deck. But what if that card had already been discarded or played? What if it's in one of the players' hands? Do we still grab the card and treat it like we found it in the deck?

I’m guessing this is probably one of the linked cards telling you to go for another one of the linked cards (thematically, someone played something that will allow you to “pop the question,” which could trigger the Wedding card going into play). I don’t think this is specifically covered by the rules, but I’d play it exactly as written — the game is only giving you permission to look in one specific deck, so if you search that deck and the card isn’t there (or if you already know it isn’t there because it’s already been played), you ignore that effect on the card, but still resolve all other card effects.

The moral: Life is short. Don’t waste that marriage proposal. It may be your only shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
twitch.tv/zenxacred
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Adam and John That's all my questions sorted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to related to the various special event cards or gender specific cards:

You CAN leave them in the decks once you've introduced them and learned a bit about them. If you find yourself playing a game where it's simply impossible for the card to make sense, when drawn you discard and redraw.

Saves you the trouble of sorting through the deck to pull out a card that MIGHT not work later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.