Popular Tags: [View All]
Ashley Baumann
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy of this game before Christmas and after watching some of the playthroughs on Youtube was excited to give this a try with my husband. We started the tutorial and got all the way through chapter 3 but were interrupted and had to leave the game. Both of us were having a good time with our characters and he seemed into it.

Last night I asked him to play again. He said yes so I set everything up and we went with a harder scenario--We Give It A Year.

After we finish the first chapter, my husband looks at me and asks me what is driving his choices? Is he trying to guess what I am going to say or is he just trying to achieve the aspects on the traits he selected. I said I think we are making decisions mostly based on our traits, but if you have some shared traits you may want to think about the other person. He said ok and we played the rest of the game that way and everything went downhill.

Basically by the end of the game, my character hadn't even cracked 10 satisfaction let alone some of the numbers required to meet the majority of the destiny cards. I didn't fulfill any of my traits or destiny and ended up at 0 satisfaction. My husband did slightly better but didn't fulfill a couple of his traits or his destiny. Both of us left the game with a disappointed feeling and him saying he didn't really have any desire to play the game with me again.

I want to give it another chance as we both enjoyed the role-playing aspect, but I am curious if we did something wrong or others have had a similar experience. Was our game just a fluke?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems strange that you wouldn’t be able to fulfill even one trait. You can play Both Choose scenes to give yourself the opportunity to make certain personality choices if your partner isn’t playing any scenes to help with it. You can also change some traits in some drama scenes if you have traits that just aren’t feasible late in the game.

You can also play secrets to get certain personality points.

I would avoid playing “Partner Chooses” scenes unless you know one of the choices benefits your partner, and if it becomes apparent that your traits are largely opposed then you should think about a break-up (or unconditional love only if your partner is doing extremely well)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
There's also the mindset where you could revel in your incompatability. My wife and a friend played a game over the holiday and they were AWFUL. They both played....I forget the name of the Destiny, but the one where you have to be withing 3 satisfaction of each other. They were! But they both had less than 10 satisfaction, so it was a loss!

But it was hilarious at how bad they were at reading each other. They simply couldn't read each other, and they kept messing up, and the two times they matched, you would think they won the lottery they were screaming so much.

So it could just be a mindset thing: "Wow, Betty and Lindsey are just not meant to be, the poor fools."

And yes, you want to get your traits, and you also want your partner to get their traits. While that's going on, you have to watch what Destinies you have available: Can't get your traits? Get high Kindness and go the Unconditional route and to hell with your traits. Struggling to figure out the other? Play some Partner Chooses cards and see how quickly they choose something, if it takes them a while, they're probably taking your traits into consideration. If they choose quickly, it's something they've been wanting to put a chip on for a while. Start trying to help them. If it's the opposite of what you want, either sabotage their efforts out of selfishness (if your Destinies can survive that), or change yourself for your partner, (again, if your Destinies sync up).

My wife and I strangely don't roleplay at all while playing this game, and still have a great time playing the mind game of figuring out the other person. I once went to Unconditional Love on the same turn she figured me out. I confused the hell out of her for two turns until I realized what she had done and I had to quickly put the brakes on sabotaging my own goals to get myself back into becoming a Love Team. I ended up being 3 satisfaction shy. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Player One
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
What you described is what I find endearing about this game. From a game perspective I usually use the first chapter (in my limited plays) to try to tell the other player as much about myself and what I need in the relationship. By mid game after I hopefully have done well for myself in the relationship and no longer need to focus on myself. I hopefully have a beat on what they are looking for in the relationship. By end game I'm usually trying to remember that my happiness matters but I can at least make more informed decisions for us as a couple and not just for her or myself (for me personally it theorizes the growing together or apart like in a real relationship). By the end of the game there are usually a few things that happen.

1. We are in total sync and usually these are the more boring games
2. We think we are in sync and then you find out late in the game your partner or yourself have some sort of deal breaker (can be crushing to find that out in real life and equally so in this game)
3. You both think it is not working at all. However after you lay all your cards out on the table you find out what you thought wasn't conventionally working actually works for both of you and that is what really matters.

Part of the enjoyment of this game for me is not always winning. Sometimes a good relationship train wreck is just what the doctor ordered in a night of role playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP, are you and your husband playing yourselves or RPing the characters and their traits? I’ve played it 3 times now with 2 different partners and we had a blast, but we were RPing our ludicrous rom com characters and enjoying the story.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.