Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Thinning the herd rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I awoke this morning to the first wet dream I've experienced in years. I've really got to get this old bladder-infected cat to the vet.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks, I have absolutely run out of room to store my games. We live in an 1800 sq. ft. (about 167 sq. metre) townhouse with a third of that an unfinished basement, which is dedicated to storage. In addition to the crap my wife and I each accumulated before we were married, we have stuff we’ve acquired in our 21 years of wedded bliss, plus the things we inherited when our parents died.

In addition to all that, we have seven(!) sets of shelves holding our 470+ game collection. (As I sort through the games I keep finding ones that I never logged on BGG, and I’m still adding them.) The majority of these games were “rescues” from thrift stores (purchased to keep the un-corralled kids from scattering the pieces to the winds), or bought at estate or garage sales. I focused on buying games I thought our family would like or my kids would be able to play. Now with one kid in college and the other a junior in high school, we no longer have the time or inclination to play many of these (and lots of them we never got around to even trying).

So, over Christmas break, the whole family trooped down to the basement, and in about ninety minutes we sorted through the entire collection and pulled out 190 to cull. Of course, my collection of Scottish-themed board games I deemed untouchable, and I brandished my dirk to make sure no one got near that shelf.

I’d like these games to go to a good home. My first thought was to re-donate them (sort of a thrifting “catch and release”) so that we could get a tax deduction, but that would condemn the games to the fate I saved many of them from in the first place. A couple of these games I am the sole listed owner, and I’d hate for the game to be lost to humanity just because I ran out of room.

Listing every single game in the Geek Market would be more work than they’re worth, since only a few have any decent resale value. Right now I’m considering posting them on a BGG auction, but instead of individual games, I’m thinking of doing them in small lots, grouping them by theme or subject matter, and offering to sell or (preferably) trade one lot for a single game that we need/want. (I’m still in the process of flagging these games as ‘For Trade’.)

While cash for the games would be nice, I’m really more concerned with getting them out of the house in the simplest way possible. Any suggestions on how best to proceed?

Here is the list in Google Docs.

EDIT: My wife sent the list out to her FB friends and we've already got offers on a few of the games. I have updated the Google doc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure these people would be happy to take any contributions.

http://www.imogap.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I awoke this morning to the first wet dream I've experienced in years. I've really got to get this old bladder-infected cat to the vet.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
I'm sure these people would be happy to take any contributions.

http://www.imogap.org/

That's certainly an option to consider. I had also thought of donating some to retirement centers and/or children's libraries/hospitals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
badge
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb
If some of the games are rare or otherwise significant, you could try contacting someone at the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester NY:

http://www.museumofplay.org/collections/donate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to donate them do it quick, so you can get the deduction. You might lose that benefit in 2018.

Edit: Salvation Army FMV estimation of board games are between $1-$3 that's a decent non-cash deduction in your case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking the list, it looks like most of these don't really have much value to them, and are the kind of games you'd typically find on thrift store shelves. It seems like your best bet would be to donate them to somewhere if your main goal is just getting rid of them. There are only a couple things on the list that would be likely to fetch you much of anything on BGG, so probably not worth the hassle of running an auction and shipping out the lots, as the shipping would exceed the value of the games in most cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Checking the list, it looks like most of these don't really have much value to them, and are the kind of games you'd typically find on thrift store shelves. It seems like your best bet would be to donate them to somewhere if your main goal is just getting rid of them. There are only a couple things on the list that would be likely to fetch you much of anything on BGG, so probably not worth the hassle of running an auction and shipping out the lots, as the shipping would exceed the value of the games in most cases.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Looks like I may sell a few of them privately to friends and family, then donate the rest. The rare ones I might send to the Museum of Play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some ideas of where to donate these:
-church youth groups
-Boys & Girls Clubs
-after-school programs
-nursing homes
-adult day care facilities (including mental health)
-community or civic centers
-public libraries
-assisted living facilities

You missed the opportunity to give some away before Christmas to places accepting gently-used toys to give to impoverished children and families.

Of course, Goodwill and thrift stores are the easiest route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Some ideas of where to donate these:
[...snip...]
-adult day care facilities (including mental health)

Good idea!

There's one of these that opened up about a year ago, and is only a few blocks from my employer. A few of the games have been spoken for, but I'll bundle together the rest that are complete and in the best shape and see if they would be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.