Subject: Losing concealment during OpFire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Funkyfresh Cecil Swadling
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know if this is the right interpretation:

I move a concealed unit next to an enemy concealed unit who is not in melee.

Normally, having two opposing adjacent counters would make them both lose concealment (moving unit first)

But, the non-moving unit wants to do Op Fire on the moving unit. Rule 15 bullet point 2 says that it must "survive all fire in that hex before it affects... Concealment"

Does that a) refer to it causing the non-moving unit to lose concealment, or is it b) referring to the moving unit not losing concealment until after all fire in the hex is complete.

That is:
a) the moving unit loses concealment the moment it moves adjacent to an enemy
or
b) the moving unit maintains concealment until all OpFire against is over

I lean towards a), but the phrasing "affects... Concealment" sseems a bit ambiguous to me

If it were phrased "must survive all fire in that hex before it affects the Concealment of enemy units", I would understand it immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
funkyfreshcecil wrote:
Does that a) refer to it causing the non-moving unit to lose concealment

Yeah, that's the way I read it. Regardless of whether the moving unit is concealed, it has to survive moving adjacent to the stationary unit before the stationary unit loses concealment.

However:

funkyfreshcecil wrote:
That is:
a) the moving unit loses concealment the moment it moves adjacent to an enemy
or
b) the moving unit maintains concealment until all OpFire against is over

I think the concealment of the moving unit is a separate issue, and I think A is the right interpretation.

So:
1. Moving unit moves adjacent, and loses concealment
2. OpFire on the moving unit happens (if the now-adjacent stationary unit fires, of course it loses its own concealment immediately)
3. If the moving unit survives, the adjacent non-moving unit loses its concealment

Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolland Beach
United States
Viroqua
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a.)

And the unit executing OpFire removes its concealment by firing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
the moving unit loses concealment when it moves adjacent to an enemy unit; however, the part of the bullet you're referring to applies in a situation where a unit might receive op fire when it moves adjacent to a concealed unit. the "it" in the second bullet refers to the moving unit; the moving unit does not affect the concealment of the adjacent unit (or decoy) unless the moving unit manages to survive all fire attacks against it. for example, if the moving unit was eliminated by op fire, the unit it had moved adjacent to would remain concealed.

in your example the unit performing the op fire also happens to be the concealed unit being moved adjacent to and it would lose its concealment not because another unit was moving adjacent, but because it is firing, as per the 4th bullet of section 15.0

so the end result in your example would be that both units lose concealment

edit: for clarity, explicitly mentioning when/why each unit loses concealment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Funkyfresh Cecil Swadling
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. That's what I suspected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.