Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t want to spend money on trays and/or acrylics and I do game with table clumsies. Should I buy a bunch of dice to track tgat way or ask them to write in paper to track.

What has worked out for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The broken token insert worked for me, but that doesn't follow your cheap requirement.

Pen and Paper might work best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about 80 games with no trays or special tracking methods. I think the game has been seriously knocked about twice and it was easy enough to recreate what it should have been from memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Being careful with the player mats.

(Edit: I first considered giving each player a set of d20s for production (as a Magic player, I have far too many spindowns in my reserves). Then I bumped the table...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with a gamer who has a very serious shake in his hands at times. He seems to survive playing the game with the normal components.

That said, if you want a cheap solution, maybe the app would be a good idea? Each player would need to have it on their phone or tablet but it's free. <shrug>

EDIT: Add link to the app I was talking about. There are others and there's a pay version of this one but I don't know what it adds.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Khyinn.TMP...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll try it as it is then and if I can I’ll take notes every once in a while where people are at just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kelly
United Kingdom
Scunthorpe
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
Honorary captain of the MCRN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

Which app are you referring too? I've clearly missed this one!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Post-it flags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the GameTrayz trays, but found they took up way too much space in the box after I added both expansions and sleeved the cards

So I got some overlays from a store on Etsy and they are far more convenient. They just cover up the production spaces on the game boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One block of 36 small six-sided dice, plus a few red ones to mark negative money production. That's how I did it from day 1 (before I got Broken Token as a present), and it's all you need even for 5 players.

That said, slippery cubes never turned out to be the problem I anticipated in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Ferreira
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
midnight87 wrote:

I really wish people would stop giving this unhelpful response every time this question comes up. If you're not having a problem and you don't undertand why other people are, then congratulations to you, but some of us are clumsy, wear loose sleeves, or whatever else. It's a well-enough established problem by now that there's no point being smug or defensive about it.

Anyway...

Before I got my 3rd party trays, my group would use 8-sided dice since they have the most sides while remaining stable. Classic 6-sided dice can certainly work fine too though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Velez
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah pretty much what everyone else just said. At my local dollar store I was able to grab 5 packs of D6 for a buck each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
midnight87 wrote:

I really wish people would stop giving this unhelpful response every time this question comes up. If you're not having a problem and you don't undertand why other people are, then congratulations to you, but some of us are clumsy, wear loose sleeves, or whatever else.
In my experience I've not run across anyone who has had these problems and I've played with at least 20 different people.

I hear these complaints on BGG but I really feel like their from a vocal minority. You always hear more about problems because people who are pissed off are motivated to complain, while people who don't have any issues have little motivation to start threads saying "Everything is fine".

And that vocal minority has made this sound like such an incredible issue that people like the OP are considering how to "fix" the issue before they've even tried the game. I'm simply trying to offer a counterpoint and suggest that maybe the problem isn't as serious as they may fear based on what they see on the forums here. Maybe he'll agree with you and end up buying some sort of tray or something, but I think he should at least try the game before he tries to fix what might not even end up being a problem for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Ferreira
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Thunkd wrote:
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
midnight87 wrote:

I really wish people would stop giving this unhelpful response every time this question comes up. If you're not having a problem and you don't undertand why other people are, then congratulations to you, but some of us are clumsy, wear loose sleeves, or whatever else.
In my experience I've not run across anyone who has had these problems and I've played with at least 20 different people.

Where would you like your medal mailed?
Good for you that you play on heavy tables with supremely well-coordinated people who never wear loose sleeves, but again, it's a well-enough established problem by now that there's no point being smug about it. It's not a mere "vocal minority" complaint. It's consistently called out as probably the game's biggest flaw. If people did their research ahead of time and want to prepare for it, then be helpful rather than dismissive. I love this game, but the defensive denial displayed by some people here on this issue is ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the medal wooden or metallic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
midnight87 wrote:

Good for you that you play on heavy tables with supremely well-coordinated people who never wear loose sleeves, but again, it's a well-enough established problem by now that there's no point being smug about it.
I'm not sure where you get "smug" from. I'm just relating my experience as a counterpoint to yours.

Smilinbrax wrote:
It's not a mere "vocal minority" complaint. It's consistently called out as probably the game's biggest flaw.
I agree that it seems like a lot of people complain about it in the forums here... but if you look through the forums, how many people have actually complained about it? Fifty? A hundred? Two hundred? Nineteen thousand people have rated the game. Two hundred people is about 1% of all the people who have rated the game. That's a very small minority... despite the fact that they make a big noise in the forums.

Smilinbrax wrote:
If people did their research ahead of time and want to prepare for it, then be helpful rather than dismissive.
How am I being dismissive? I'm just suggesting that they postpone spending time and money on a solution until they're actually sure it'll be a problem for them. If it turns out to be one, then they can do what they need to... but if they don't they've just saved themselves the hassle/expense.

Smilinbrax wrote:
I love this game
Glad to hear it. Me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
What I do to avoid problems using the original stuff from the game:
1) Only set the figures that are not zero. This is enough to let the board free of many cubes. It's common we have only 2 or 3 cubes there. If you don't produce plant, don't put a cube in "0". Also it's easy to see the productions of other players.
2) Don't pile cubes over 10 if you have 20+ production. For example, I would put a cube in 10, other in 9 and other in 3 to mark 22.

A suggestion I haven't tried: up to 5 production, use number of cubes instead of position of 1 cube. If you produce 3 plants, put 3 cubes in your color inside the plant box. It's very possible you have enough cubes to mark this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Moon
Australia
Glenside
SA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't listen those who insist it's not a problem. They have nothing to offer. If you're willing to spend a 'little bit more' then I 100% recommend these which is what I bought:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/472884308/5-terraforming-mars-c...

Otherwise for free solutions, 2 that I have read are:

1) Use small blobs of blue-tak on each spot to keep unruly cubes in place (personally it seems like a hassle).
2) Design/print your own player mat with a grid pattern and glue craft matches or foamcore strips to act as borders (time consuming).
3) Print yourself larger/expanded player mats so the boxes aren't so small and thus have a buffer zone if moved (not as effective as 1 & 2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
midnight87 wrote:

Good for you that you play on heavy tables with supremely well-coordinated people who never wear loose sleeves, but again, it's a well-enough established problem by now that there's no point being smug about it. It's not a mere "vocal minority" complaint. It's consistently called out as probably the game's biggest flaw. If people did their research ahead of time and want to prepare for it, then be helpful rather than dismissive. I love this game, but the defensive denial displayed by some people here on this issue is ridiculous.

because this would literally be a problem for basically every single game in existence if people being clumsy and knocking shit over was a thing.

this is a stupid meme that got created here on bgg and it's wrong and gets called out as such by people who are sick of it being perpetuated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Smith
United States
Mount Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I laminated my player mats and use a dry erase marker to track my production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Collins
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree that cubes moving is a problem. Generally they don’t but it is possible to have something happen. I’ve even seen someone drop something onto someone else’s board to have production and resource markers scatter. We were able to reconfigure because it was early in the game, however it would have been bad later. To say nothing of the cats that several sets of friends have who can and will leap up on a table and scatter a cube or two. Honestly I think the back and forth on this would be best taken to a different discussion because folks are asking for a solution to components not moving. It comes across as rude and unhelpful to keep arguing the point for the “you don’t need this fix” for the folks that do.

With that said, I really like the clear acrylic traps because they fit in the box and you just glue them down to the original boards. They hold the cubes nicely. You pull out the divider between energy and heat to just slide over the cubes. Unfortunately that shop isn’t selling them right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
If you have other games, maybe you can reuse their tokens?

Example, from Small World you can use:
http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-k9xmsrh/products/264/images/18...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.