Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: In store customers get priority on sales rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant F.
msg tools
Some of my games on sale got sold to in store customers. I was told this is because on a sale the staff cannot take the game off the shelf fast enough.

So when a customer grabs a game, it is not good business to tell them is it sold on their inventory system.

This is often an online store which also has a storefront

What can really be done about this? Do some stores have separate online and in store inventories?

I guess the online customer is SOL in these cases.

I asked when the game comes back in stock that they honor the sale price. I will let you know if they do that.

Is this legal or false advertising?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
Some of my games on sale
This is a really confusing way to word this. By "my games" you mean games you had purchased from an online retailer, right? Not games you actually had on sale.

Oiler1 wrote:
Often? Is it sometimes not an online store or does it sometimes not have a storefront?

Oiler1 wrote:
What can really be done about this?
What are you looking for... a solution that the business could implement to avoid this problem? I doubt they're going to change the way they do things because you suggest a different methodology. If they're going to put all the inventory on the shelf then this is an issue that can't really be resolved... Either way, whether they give you the game or the customer the game, one of you is going to have a legitimate complaint that a game was shown as available when it really wasn't.

Oiler1 wrote:
They actually had the game for sale, and some customer was able to buy it for the sale price, so it's not false advertising. They can always simply claim that the physical copy was sold by mistake... It's not illegal for them to make mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
Thunkd wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:
Some of my games on sale
This is a really confusing way to word this. By "my games" you mean games you had purchased from an online retailer, right? Not games you actually had on sale.

Oiler1 wrote:
Often? Is it sometimes not an online store or does it sometimes not have a storefront?

Oiler1 wrote:
What can really be done about this?
What are you looking for... a solution that the business could implement to avoid this problem? I doubt they're going to change the way they do things because you suggest a different methodology. If they're going to put all the inventory on the shelf then this is an issue that can't really be resolved... Either way, whether they give you the game or the customer the game, one of you is going to have a legitimate complaint that a game was shown as available when it really wasn't.

Oiler1 wrote:
They actually had the game for sale, and some customer was able to buy it for the sale price, so it's not false advertising. They can always simply claim that the physical copy was sold by mistake... It's not illegal for them to make mistakes.

This always happens during big sales. It's a fact of life I suppose. Large companies like Best Buy seem to have no problems as they keep separate inventories.

My take is if an item is shown available and you've paid for it, then you should have some recourse to get it at the sale price later if out of stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Croft
United States
Smithfield
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you talked to the owner/manager of the store? I would let them know your unhappiness of how they handle inventory. My flgs also sells online, but the sold copies are kept behind the registers, tagged with the order info & ready for pickup. That's bad business if they are leaving it on the floor.

Now, if you had not yet gone to pick up your order/ready to have it shipped. There's still time for them to correct it and reorder.

If you paid for it they should absolutely honor the price. Since you have already paid. They can't very well charge you more.

No, it's not illegal. Just bad business if they can't properly manage their inventory levels. If their online sales so that much business, they shouldn't be mixing inventory like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
Large companies like Best Buy seem to have no problems as they keep separate inventories.
Best Buy has something like a thousand stores in the US and has annual revenues of something like 40 billion dollars. They keep warehouses full of inventory to ship out to whichever store is running low. Comparing that to an online board game retailer that has what, maybe a handful of retail locations at best, and makes a fraction of Best Buy's revenue, is unreasonable.

Oiler1 wrote:
My take is if an item is shown available and you've paid for it, then you should have some recourse to get it at the sale price later if out of stock.
Even if they have to lose money to buy a copy to sell to you for less than they pay for it? That'd be good customer service, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
unless you name the e/retailer it's hard to really provide advice.....

... any case sounds like the opposite problem another user had with an e/retailer....

On the shelf but sold out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
unless you name the e/retailer it's hard to really provide advice.....

... any case sounds like the opposite problem another user had with an e/retailer....

On the shelf but sold out

Basically what my response was going to be. Unfortunately for a retailer not at a National scale, there is no perfect solution. You’re going to piss somebody off no matter how you do it in unique circumstances.

The alternatives don’t make as good of business sense (eg not offering sales items online).

I’d let your FLGS know, but I’d also say that theres only so much they can do. That said, they should honor the price for you on another copy of it they have coming in (Assuming it wasn’t clearance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
If you post it online or on ebay, pull it from the store shelves.

Not good practice to have one item on sale in multiple areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol. Best buy. Worst counter example ever. Try seeing inventory online during a sale then going in to try to find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
If you post it online or on ebay, pull it from the store shelves.

Not good practice to have one item on sale in multiple areas.

Target used to do this and got buried by people for having multiple Pricing tiers (on/offline). Like I said, can’t make everyone happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
I talked to the store and they said when they get new stock they will honor the sale price. Problem was there is a transition time between when a staff member can pull it off the shelves in time during a sale. As we all know sales are frantic so stuff fly off the shelves in seconds. also the staff would be uber busy.

Only problem is I have to meet the minimum shipping threshold in order to get my game again. I will ask if they will ship free in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Petruzzelli
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Oiler1 wrote:
I talked to the store and they said when they get new stock they will honor the sale price. Problem was there is a transition time between when a staff member can pull it off the shelves in time during a sale. As we all know sales are frantic so stuff fly off the shelves in seconds. also the staff would be uber busy.

On;y problem is I have to meet the minimum shipping threshold in order to get my game again. I will ask if they will ship free in this case.

Full disclosure: owner of Game Surplus.
Donald, are you referring to Game Surplus? If so, I'd like to know the details. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:

On;y problem is I have to meet the minimum shipping threshold in order to get my game again. I will ask if they will ship free in this case.

Seems like they did the best they could and asking them to eat the cost of your shipping seems like an entitlement bridge too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
Stay away from the Voodoo.
mbmbmbmbmb
If a FLGS takes merchandise off the shelf just in case someone purchases on-line, then they could lose sales in-store because it would look like they're out of stock. Most FLGS can't afford to lose sales. And if a customer is walking around in their store with product in their hands, it's impossible to take said merchandise away from them. At least, it wouldn't be very nice. And if you're going to upset someone, it's better to upset the person not looking you in the eye. Unless you have no empathy.

Not sure what the real issue is because it all makes perfect sense to me. If more product is expected to become available, then the store should keep your info and offer said game to you at sale price at that point in time. But not every game comes back in stock, especially if the store is trying to clear it out at a low price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ygor
Romania
Transylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
NewTroll wrote:
If a FLGS takes merchandise off the shelf just in case someone purchases on-line, then they could lose sales in-store because it would look like they're out of stock. Most FLGS can't afford to lose sales. And if a customer is walking around in their store with product in their hands, it's impossible to take said merchandise away from them. At least, it wouldn't be very nice. And if you're going to upset someone, it's better to upset the person not looking you in the eye. Unless you have no empathy.

Not sure what the real issue is because it all makes perfect sense to me. If more product is expected to become available, then the store should keep your info and offer said game to you at sale price at that point in time. But not every game comes back in stock, especially if the store is trying to clear it out at a low price.

Take a lasso and rope up yer games as fast as you can. Those little doggies will land in your pen and not some other nasty varmint's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
Game Surplus wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:

Full disclosure: owner of Game Surplus.
Donald, are you referring to Game Surplus? If so, I'd like to know the details. Thank you.

No not your store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
Good news! Once they get the game in stock they will ship it to me free since I am a long time customer. I likely will make an order anyway to help them out. It's a common party game so I expect it to be in stock again one day.

This is about the 5th time that I lost a game this way over the past 2 years. Never thought about asking them to honor the sale price once stock comes available until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
Good news! Once they get the game in stock they will ship it to me free since I am a long time customer. I likely will make an order anyway to help them out. It's a common party game so I expect it to be in stock again one day.

This is about the 5th time that I lost a game this way over the past 2 years. Never thought about asking them to honor the sale price once stock comes available until now.

So in those other cases, are they cancelling your order and refunding your money, and then you re-order later?

Seems like the solution, if you ran a small store with this kind of problem, is to build a confirmation loop into your online sales -- make it clear that an online purchase is a sales order and that until it is "confirmed" because the clerk pulled it from the shelf it is not guaranteed.

Probably easier, though, to pretend all offers are confirmed until they aren't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runcible Spoon wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:

Seems like they did the best they could and asking them to eat the cost of your shipping seems like an entitlement bridge too far.

In isolation, yes ...

But - say I order from a store that is exclusively online (I won't name one, since i haven't had the experience).

I reach the free shipping threshold. One of the games I order isn't available any longer. Without communicating it to me, they ship the order to me; but now - without that other game, I haven't reached the free shipping threshold; so I get dinged for shipping (and, if I want the other game when it comes in; I need to pay shipping for that, as well).

If they informed me of this before shipping; and I agreed, then it's on me. But, if this is a surprise to me; I don't think asking for reimbursed shipping, etc. is "entitlement."

As I said - the few times this has happened to me; it was handled correctly (communication ahead of time). But, I'm thinking a store that can't even pull ordered games off the shelf fast enough might not think to email customers about problems with their orders .....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
This always seems to happen when it is on a big sales day like Black Friday or Boxing Day etc.

I think for a small store there is no way they can pull an item off the shelves fast enough to serve on online customer over an indoor customer.

Picture a store full of bargain hunters pulling everything out and into their hands lining up at the till. Pure chaos.

Guess online people have to take their chances and live with it. The alternative is to have the sale start an hour before they open.

The store did promise to sell the game again at the same sale price and ship for free as I have been a long time loyal customer. They have no idea when the game will be restocked though.

The other bad thing is, I got the notice 2 or 3 days after the sale, so I missed getting the game on sale somewhere else. Fortunately I am not in a hurry to buy the game.

I was lucky to get the rest of my order filled though (cross my fingers). In other years I would be missing 2 or 3 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.