Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

when you grow out of liking the Ninja Turtles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two or three times a year the company we rent our office from advertises a "Shredder Event." Been there a couple of times. Sure, there are a few teenage thugs there operating some giant machine that destroys stuff, but I've never actually seen Master Shredder. False advertising pisses me off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Not so far there hasn't. But that'll be because the current series of comics (from IDW, complete reboot some 6 years ago) has been most interesting and inventive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had mostly outgrown comic books by 1965. I might have remained blissfully unaware if it wasn't for my stepson becoming a teen about the same time the 1990 movie came out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
I had mostly outgrown comic books by 1965. I might have remained blissfully unaware if it wasn't for my stepson becoming a teen about the same time the 1990 movie came out.

Not to throw shade, but provide context -- saying you outgrew comic books in 1965 (when the CCA was in full effect) is like someone saying they outgrew board games when they got tired of LIFE and SORRY. There's some great stuff out there in the medium, regardless of how you feel about ninja turtles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I turned to books. And Avalon Hill and 3M games.

I did enjoy having a look at my roommate's copies of Heavy Metal.

And I don't have the slightest idea what "CCA" is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
bltzlfsk wrote:

Not to throw shade, but provide context -- saying you outgrew comic books in 1965 (when the CCA was in full effect) is like someone saying they outgrew board games when they got tired of LIFE and SORRY. There's some great stuff out there in the medium, regardless of how you feel about ninja turtles.

I never liked comics, especially all those titles that were geared/marketed primarily for boys/males.

An uncle brought me a box full of Archie comics when I was 11, which I devoured (and learned lots of slang words & phrases which were unfamiliar to me). However, I never really could get into all the others. I have tried some graphic novels, but get confused as to the progression of the bubble dialog, which usually gives me a headache and frustration.

I really prefer books, and have never developed an interest in the super-hero genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
I turned to books. And Avalon Hill and 3M games.

I did enjoy having a look at my roommate's copies of Heavy Metal.

And I don't have the slightest idea what "CCA" is.

The Comics Code Authority (CCA) was a governing body put into place by the comics industry to limit the adult content of comics, after Frederick Wertham, author of SEDUCTION OF THE INNOCENT, told everyone that comics were a degenerate art form, and that Batman had immoral motives for hanging around with Robin.

It destroyed the industry, and is the main reason that from the mid 1950s on people thought of comics as a children's medium only.

I bristle a bit when people use words like "outgrew" because we experience the same thing in board gaming from people who don't know the breadth of the medium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
"Death comes for us all, Oroku Saki, but something much worse comes for you. For when you die, it will be without honor."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't read much indy comic books(Except Heavy Metal Mag) when I was a teen in the mid 80's so I pretty much missed TMNT the comics, and thereby didn't even play the RPG. By the time it was a cartoon in the late 80's early 90's, I was already an adult, so TMNT really didn't affect my generation all that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason, I never "got" comic books. If you were to align all my interests, comic books should be dead center, but...I dunno. My parents would buy them for me when I was a kid, and I'd buy some when I was older, but it all just seemed like a waste of time.

Like, I get why people like them, but I always felt like I was spending $5 for about ten minutes of story--a story that, truth be told, was never particularly interesting and required repeated purchases to get into it. It was like buying ten ripped-out pages of a novel one month at a time.

Oh, I'm paying for art? I hate to be that guy, but the art in a lot of comic books is just shitty.

At the end of the day, I could spend $8 instead and get a whole, complete novel.

Sure, there are some great comics out there, but they are far and few between. And any time I say this people will say "Oh, but you have to get X!" I always get it and read it and I am always, always underwhelmed.

Anyway, I agree with the original post. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw my purchasing power decline as comic books went from 10¢ to 12¢ to 15¢ ...

And my mother made me throw away what I had in a cleaning frenzy. A few years later they were more expensive than a pack of cigarettes or a gallon of gas, so I didn't miss 'em. Until they might have been collectors' items.

So, yes, I outgrew them.

Just like I outgrew trying to keep up with hipster speak. "Throw shade"? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.